Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby mmrobertson69 » April 23rd, 2012, 7:15 pm

Hello all,
Tried riding Morty today. I'd say the course is >50% dry, but the muddy spots are scattered through out the trails frequently enough to wreck any flow, not to mention how filthy it made me bike.
Got frustrated enough that I cut the ride short. Don't think the trail is ready for regular use just yet.
-Mike
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 4/29/2012

Postby ibisman » April 29th, 2012, 11:16 am

Did several laps this sunny morning with my new bike and the trail was almost all dry but for a few muddy spots that were kinda solid mud that didn't stick to the tires. Picked up a lot of broken glass on Crooked vulture and Lucky dog. someone moved the backside of several log piles so I put them back. Still trying to get comfy with the boarded skinny. I get to the dogleg and have to jump off.
first time dirtyImage
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 5/3/2012

Postby ibisman » May 3rd, 2012, 11:56 am

walked a bit and twas all mud. Ouch!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby jwhitey » May 3rd, 2012, 1:52 pm

I haven't even considered checking out MT yet this year. I figured it would be too wet. On the other hand... I do know of some real fun riding in a secret spot that can't be mentioned.
jwhitey

Postby ibisman » May 3rd, 2012, 6:55 pm

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby jwhitey » May 3rd, 2012, 9:05 pm

This evening's weather may have changed things for the weekend.
jwhitey

Postby Jay22 » May 4th, 2012, 9:50 am

I was out there last night, I got there about 6:30 or so. I could ride most of the trail, I stayed out of the buckshaver section since I figured it would be a lake.

I ended up having to get off the bike and carry it around several spots that are really bad. It seems that nobody else cares though. There are so many deep ruts everywhere. I actually ran into a couple of people that had just fallen in one of the mud puddles and was covered in slop, (I laughed about that later, serves them right), however the part that really *beep* me off was that the woman was complaining about a couple of log piles, saying, and I quote, "This place used to be nice, they need to get out here and fix these log piles, they are in bad shape". I almost said, "Well, now we are probably going to be busy fixing all the f***ing ruts you just made, so the log piles will have to wait", but I didn't. I just laughed and rode off.

Anyone up for a trail work day? Maybe we can re-pack all those bad spots and dig some little drainage paths so they don't flood as bad, or at all. Maybe even elevate those spots a bit, that would probably help a lot.
Jay22

Postby frank131 » May 8th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Secret Canton spot? Whattt? Secrets are no fun.

I just graduated college and I'm home until August. I would definitely be available for a trail work day. I'm pretty available any week day or weekend.
frank131

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » May 9th, 2012, 8:57 am

ibisman, where did all the broken glass come from ? Did it appear that someone had put it there recently or is it coming out of the ground ? Nice looking bike by the way. I still have to add another wedge to the new skinny to hopefully fix that problem you mentioned.

Yes, we need to have a trail day and help would knock things out much quicker. I will need to check my calendar at
home to see what date works the best and will post something on this board soon. Hopefully we get a good turnout ?
Jay, I have been thinking about the same thing lately to address the muddy section problem and I agree.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » May 9th, 2012, 9:01 am

Yeah I tried the skinny about 20 times and almost made it once. Its a tough one. Cruz, lets get a trail day going for sure.

Edit: If I get a chance, I will head out there with a rake and shovel soon and try a few things. Putting bark and bricks down only work for so long, those areas get so nasty that they literally eat whatever has been put down in some spots.
Jay22

Postby ibisman » May 9th, 2012, 12:25 pm

It looked like someone was walking around and having a party, and smashing the bottles. I got all I could see.You know, it would be a lot of work but all those muddy sections could be made into wooden features as time goes on with enough wood.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby Jay22 » May 9th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Agreed.
Jay22

Postby frank131 » May 11th, 2012, 11:49 am

Are there any rules about putting structures on the trail? I have some scrap wood laying around my house. I could definitely put together some elevated planks that could sit above some of the muddy sections. Are there any priority spots? There's a 12 ft section on the east loop about 1/4 mile from Morton Taylor that is usually muddy/rutted.

On the east loop (heading towards Lilley) there's that clearing and then a small downhill towards the small bridge over the creek and then an short uphill. I don't like how this section flows. What if we made the turns into nice banks so you could carry your speed throughout the whole section? Not sure if a dirt or wood structure would be best for making a bank there.
frank131

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » May 12th, 2012, 10:11 am

frank131, yes there would be some rules concerning adding wooden features as I wouldn't want "everyone" adding stuff, but that being said I wouldn't mind working with you and use up that extra wood (I have a bunch in my garage waiting for the same purpose) on the muddy sections which seems
to be one of the best solutions. I am going to try and get out to the trail either today or tomorrow and get a list of needed jobs in my head so that I have something for people to do when I set a trail day(s) which is needed to get everything ready for the summer riding season.

The area you mention in the clearing which I'm asssuming is where the power lines go through is actually ITC property and we are kind of lucky that they let the trail go through there as it is, so I am kind of hesitant to put any type of wooden structures in there as they come through periodically and clear out all the vegetation to allow access to said power lines (it's a federal law issue). But, again if you have an idea of how to make it flow better I would
be willing to see what you mean (I rerouted that section a couple years ago because it used to go up a rutted rain run off hill which you can see on the right). Stay tuned.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby mdswmich » May 14th, 2012, 9:45 am

I rode this Saturday, and was fairly dry except the west loop had a few muddy spots and tracks. Tried to make a line through. Lucky dawg was dry surprisingly. The skinny is fun, but I had to stop at the corner.

Met a guy named "Rich" out there doing a fine job. Grass/weeds sure are growing though.
Jump It!
mdswmich

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions