Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby Dirtburner » April 9th, 2012, 4:59 pm

I did some riding this morning as well on the west loop and east loop. Theres a very low hanging downed tree on the west loop that's hanging about head height and also a large downed tree across the gravel path that leads west on the north side of the river near the trail head. As stated above some spots of the west loop are muddy and rutted I didn't have any shovels or anything but stepped on the ruts and leveled it out the best I could. Hopefully others will do the same if they do ride through it so it won't dry filled with ruts.

I am new to mountain biking and look forward to seeing you guys on the trail sometime
Dirtburner

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 10th, 2012, 5:53 pm

ibisman, thanks for posting the excellent pictures of the new West loop "fattie", did you happen to ride/clean it when you rode by ?

Dirtburner, I will have to check out the lowhangers and cut those out of there very soon. I was riding the gravel path last Sunday and saw
the downed tree across the way just before the Lilley road crossing, but that's up to the township to remove. But, we will definitely address
the West loop one. I have plans to tackle the muddy areas in the West loop, Crooked Vulture and more importantly, Buck Shaver and Dragon's Tail.
Either need cut up log sections and/or boardwalk, so that will be my focus this spring/early summer. Stay tuned for a trail work day. Always work to do.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ibisman » April 11th, 2012, 8:11 am

Santa cruz...I was going to cut and lay down some small logs in low areas that don't drain but i didn't want to do anything without asking you first.What do you think?.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 11th, 2012, 11:34 am

ibisman, that seems like a good proven solution to some of those problem areas, so yes, go ahead and install some !

Looking at the flooded sections of Buckshaver the other day I was thinking of installing some long boardwalk to allow it to be rideable in the spring months, got a whole bunch of wood in my garage that I need to use up !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ibisman » April 11th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Sounds like a plan...let me know when I can help.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Dirtburner » April 11th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Okay sounds good and I'm willing to help I'd you guys need it.
Dirtburner

Postby opjames » April 12th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Most of the trail is dry enough to ride, except the South loop, some of the Buckshaver, and part of the Crooked Vulture. Those sections are still flooded or terribly muddy. A lot of heavy ruts are now cemented into the clay in most sections, due to all the riding during unfavorable muddy conditions. I'll try to fix what I can when I bring a shovel next time.
Me and my friend removed the tree that was blocking the trail on the West loop, we also had to block off the new "go around" that was being formed there.

Someone decided to set the bridge, crossing the river by the trailhead, on fire in the last couple days. It burned a massive hole in it and has been barricaded by the township workers. It's probably some of the unsupervised teens that come from the adjoining neighborhood.
opjames

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 13th, 2012, 8:51 am

James, thank you for clearing the downed tree on the West loop ! I've been meaning to get out there, but haven't found the time yet. Riding around last week I had to smile because I could see all the places where you and Randy were doing your water draining engineering and it looks like it's working well.

Oh freaking great ! Burning a bridge ? ! Really ? :evil: This vandalism never seems to end.
Exactly which bridge is it ? The one leading to the East loop or the South loop ? I want to get a hold of those troubled
teens and put them to work correcting the damage they do !! Jeeze !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby opjames » April 13th, 2012, 10:30 am

Gary...It's not one of the bridges that you made. It's the main bridge on the gravel trail crossing the river between the trail head and the West loop/Crooked Vulture area. I'm going there today, so I'll get some pictures posted sometime tonight.

I talked to 3 teen boys who have been riding their BMX bikes out there. They said that they are the ones who had built a plywood fort by the old car a while back. They seemed to have been just as upset as we were about the vandalism, but it could have been an act. They admitted to being out there nearly every day, so I asked them to keep an eye out for us anyhow. They appeared to be cooperative, but as you know appearances can be deceiving.

Oh almost forgot, the Crooked Vulture sign has once again reappeared. I wonder how long that will last.
Last edited by opjames on April 15th, 2012, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
opjames

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 13th, 2012, 11:39 am

Well, that's good and bad news. I'm glad I don't have to replace a bridge, but that sucks that the nice one the township put in got enough damage to close it down. Regardless, I don't understand why this area is such a target for the local mis-guided angry youths. I guess because there are so many sub-divisions around such a somewhat remote area with very little supervision. Hopefully whomever is doing this will get bored and move on to another activity for a change ?

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby opjames » April 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Well I can't post pictures of the damage to the bridge as I'd promised. It was actually fully repaired by 1PM and they were removing the barricades as we showed up. Thanks to the fast work of the township workers.

Fixed several rutted bad spots in the West and Crooked Vulture loops and removed another huge dead ash tree from the West loop as well, with Randy and his sons. Did it with a bow saw and it was at least 20 inches across. Very tiring indeed.

When we were getting ready to leave (5:30ish), a group of three 18 to 20 something year old males, came blasting down the gravel trail from the adjoining neighborhood on dirtbikes and minibikes. We were standing in front of the Crooked Vulture entrance and they decided out loud not to turn into the single track. Possibly because I was glaring at them. Anyhow, the signs reading "No motorized vehicles" doesn't seem to be working.
opjames

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 14th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Thanks for the update James and for you and Randy's continued help in keeping the trails clear of trees and motorcycles !
Wow, that was very quick work by the township repairing the bridge, but that is one of the most important ones in the park.
I am most likely going to be out there doing some work the next couple weekends, so maybe I'll see you guys. Got a list of stuff to do.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » April 18th, 2012, 9:03 am

I'm glad the bridge is fixed! I can't wait to get back out on the trails this year. How has everyone been?
Jay22

Postby bbmtr08 » April 20th, 2012, 8:16 am

I have a question for you guys that are more familiar with riding in the Canton area. I started riding these trails last summer, by the way a big thank you to the guys that build and maintain these trials it is nice to have a fun little trail that I can get to on my bike from my driveway. I stated doing some exploring this spring to add more miles to the ride, I have a little loop I put together, I ride in from Westland so I come from the 275 path under the expressway do the single track then the gravel path to the end at Canton Center. From there I did some exploring around the Summit and the condos and neighborhoods around there, and I noticed that the sidewalks in those condos and neighborhood intermingle with the cart path on Pheasant Run Golf Course and I have seen walkers, dog walkers and joggers using this path that runs along the golf course all the way to the neighborhood that is off of Denton road. After I seen that other people were using it I jumped on and the people I passed didn't give me any dirty looks and most said good morning. I did see one group of golfers getting ready to hit so I stopped by a tree not to distract them even know the jogger in front of me kept going, and they didn't say anything to me.

So my question, Is the path the runs along Pheasant Run Golf course through the neighborhoods open for people to use? If it is that is a nice way to get over to Denton road and jump on the dirt roads around there to get some miles in, plus you don't have to cross Beck road because the path goes under the road.
bbmtr08

Postby troth » April 20th, 2012, 2:39 pm

I wish that were the case. I live near here so I know exactly what you are talking about. If you ride on them long enough, which is to say it only took me about 3 rides, the course ranger or whatever he is called (I don't golf) will see you from his golf cart and come yell at you. He cited liability of course and said the cart paths are for golf carts only and he made me get off the path as soon as it intersected w/ a street/sidewalk. He wasn't super understanding about it either when I feigned ignorance.

Now if you ride when the course is closed, I think the worst that would happen to you is a resident might yell at you if they are the "get off my lawn" type. That being said, during summer the course seems to be open pretty much from sun up to sun down so unless you're riding w/ a headlight at night, you will eventually get chewed out. Bummer because they are a nice alternative as you said.
troth

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions