Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby mmrobertson69 » January 17th, 2012, 12:37 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Yeah, that area looks to have been a popular place to dump old tires, there's a lot of them. I was actually thinking
about putting them all in one place, fill them with dirt/gravel and use them as an optional tech feature.

+1!
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby sally_2000 » January 17th, 2012, 1:55 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Yeah, that area looks to have been a popular place to dump old tires, there's a lot of them. I was actually thinking
about putting them all in one place, fill them with dirt/gravel and use them as an optional tech feature.

Ha I told my friend that the trail guys will probably find some use for them (as in an obstacle course) or for a cushion for that really fast downhill with a blind sharp turn at the bottom
sally_2000

Postby Jay22 » January 17th, 2012, 2:27 pm

I'm sure if you got creative, you could make an awesome feature out of tires.
Jay22

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 2/13/2012

Postby ibisman » February 13th, 2012, 11:29 am

I rode the trail several times this morning (all the loops), and the trail was frozen solid except for a couple spots on Buckshaver where the ice was making noises so I went around. Luckey dog was solid and all ramps and bridges were doable.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby ihateplaindave » February 13th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Sweet!
ihateplaindave

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » February 15th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Cool pictures Dave ! I haven't been out there since the holidays, but will be soon.

Some but-hole ripped down the East loop sign, have a new Wetland sign to put up, have all the wood
ready to go to finish the West skinny and have more plans for new stuff in my head for this coming season !

8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ibisman » February 15th, 2012, 2:53 pm

let me know when you need the help.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby peels » March 7th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Hey guys! I'm a regular on thetrails during the season but never joined the forums until now. I was dumb and accidentally left both of my tires at the main parking lot. I put a notice up on the lost and found board as well. Any help is wonderful... I just cant believe I did this!
peels

Postby opjames » March 11th, 2012, 8:30 pm

*****ATTENTION TRAIL IS MUDDY*****
For the sake of Gary and Rich and all the hard work they've put into the trail year after year....please, STAY OFF THE TRAIL for a few weeks. They are MUDDY!!!!!! The soil is comprised of mostly clay and takes a long time to dry. However, the gravel trail is good to go, just NOT the single track.

To the 4 guys who rode it today and created 2" to 4" deep ruts throughout the entire trail, I hope you're satisfied with muddy mess you've caused. My gosh it couldn't have even been fun. I have pics of the damage, but there are too many to post here. Some of those ruts you've created in that CLAY will be there all summer, not to mention the deepening of the puddles and widening the trail. Maybe you didn't know any better, then again, maybe you did and think that the "Magical Trail Beaver" comes out and repairs the trails after you leave your destruction. Then again, maybe your not on this forum or can't even read this anyhow.

I hope that whoever has been planning a ride there, reads this and postpones it for at least a few more weeks.
Last edited by opjames on March 12th, 2012, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
opjames

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 12th, 2012, 11:02 am

Thanks for the trail report James (and for you and Randy taking out those downed trees !) and yes, unfortunately those inconsiderate idiots that rode on an obviously not ready for prime time muddy trail most likely don't frequent this forum or even know of it's existence :x
I rode the gravel paths yesterday and they are dry and in good condition like you mentioned, so use those for now.

Like you say, I couldn't be much fun slipping and slidding all over the place and creating sometimes season long damage to the trail surface. I would like to get a hold of the stupid idiot that ripped down the trail head signs, too.

What possible reason could you have to do such vandalism ? I don't get it. I'll put them back up again of course and
hopefully with more hiker/biker traffic it will keep it from happening again, but there are just those few stupid morons out there that have to ruin it for everyone else that uses and enjoys this trail system. Rant over.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby opjames » March 12th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Drawing of the mysterious "Magical Trail Beaver"

opjames

Postby Signus-X » March 21st, 2012, 11:13 am

I went out there yesterday with my kid hoping that it would have dried up a bit by now but it was still a muddy mess. Avoid the trail until it dries up more.
Signus-X

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 3/28/2012

Postby ibisman » March 28th, 2012, 11:22 am

I walked all and rode (some) of all loops this morning. East loop is mostly dry to lilly rd. with some mud before the powerline towers.Crooked vultre is dry up to the powerlines and then mud every where. luckey dawg was dry (suprise) and all ramps were good. buckshaver was good for little ways and then under water. It is still a mess. Sant Cruz...like the tail on the skinny. need help soon let me know? Dave
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 30th, 2012, 6:15 am

Thanks for the trail report ibisman ! I am also surprized that Lucky Dawg is dry and rideable. Strange. :roll:

Glad you like the recent addition to the West loop "fattie" as I call it since it's not technically a skinny due to it
being a foot wide. I just have to add a wedge at the corner transition to make it rideable (and a little safer) this
weekend and it will be all set. (plus a couple of little warning signs so that riders are warned before attempting).

I or maybe you will post a picture when it's done. Plans for this year are to add some length to the west end of
Dragon's Tail (near the church towards Michigan Ave) and try to address some of the muddy areas by adding
chunks of concrete and/or boardwalks. So, there will definitely be some work to do and I will let you know when.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 4/9/2012

Postby ibisman » April 9th, 2012, 10:52 am

I did a couple of laps this sunny morning and the trail almost all good to go. There are several spots where the water cannot drain that are remaining muddy. Buck shaver is still under water in spots. white tail going west , has some muddy spots too. The east loop is all dry, and crooked vulture has some mud coming west past the power lines. the west loop has some mud going towards Sheldon but Lucky dog is dry..as is all ramps and bridges.
very nice job santa cruz on the skinny!ImageImageImage
I rode past Sheldon to check out those other trails we found last year, and the signs are gone.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions