Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby Jay22 » November 12th, 2011, 11:41 am

I think I have a cool idea. It'll be a surprise...
Jay22

Postby Jay22 » November 12th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Alright, My original plan was to make a few pumps leading up to the log pile, cover the log pile and call it done.

Due to time constraints and realizing how narrow that trail is, I decided to just cover the log pile with dirt. Its done and quite smooth. Several people were riding and tested it out for me, along with myself about 10 times both ways. You can very easily roll over both features now with a little speed. What steered me away from putting pumps there was that a lady came by and said how cool and fun everything is, but she had fallen earlier and hit her chin. I then realized that even though it is supposed to be advanced back there, that part was just too narrow to be pumping through as you would probably gain too much speed.

Anyway, its all done now. Should be smoother.

Oh, and here are the pics of the snow day out there...

Jay22

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 12th, 2011, 5:18 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Sounds like you had a good ride Jay !! Your description was good, it made a picture in my head. :D
Thanks for clearing downed stuff !

I took the day off work today (played hookie if you will) and worked on the trail. Is that weird ? I don't think so..
I cleared an extention of Buck Shaver that we cut last winter, but then due to the spring rains / flooding / overgrowth,
we couldn't get back to develop this section and concentrated on the main body of the new addition. (got some riding)

But, today, I opened up another 1/3 of a mile and it needs people to hike it, ride it, use it because it's rough cut
and will be a little bumpy, lumpy until it gets some use and packing down. Be one of the first kids on your block to
go ride it and say you were there when it was brand new ! I will be adding a couple of technical options to it this
winter. Potential projects - old tires filled w/gravel section, elevated wooden walkway w/skinny, log piles, etc.

I rode the new section several times, ripped a hole in my jersey on the small sapling that stands in the middle of the trail when it caught a 1-2" barb on it. Went back to my car, grabbed my folding saw and spent about 1/2 hour cutting those barbs off on several trees in the new section. No longer an issue.

Noticed across from the Snake Leg trail the residential trail now has a section extending out on to the main path. Saw the same guy out there from last week with a leaf blower clearing that out. With no signage I'm sure they''ll get a few visitors. Never realized there was ground there - the path cuts through a clearing between a pond and the river.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Jay22 » November 12th, 2011, 5:35 pm

ibisman wrote:I never had a problem with the log pile after that ramp...just don't touch the brakes. I'm heading out there tomorrow morning around 10 if anyone wants to ride.going to stay for a couple hours so I can get some miles in. And on that low v on buckshaver...put yer chin on the stem and its a breeze.:)

I will meet ya there. What kind of car do you have? That way ill know if its you. I will be in the main lot at ten am standing by a 1989 white Lincoln towncar. I'll ride some miles with ya.

Maybe some others will join? Should be a fun morning.
Jay22

Postby mmrobertson69 » November 12th, 2011, 7:45 pm

what the heck, I'll skip church and meet y'all at 10. Look fer a black Jeep compass, blue cannondale.
SeeYa!
-Mike
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby mmrobertson69 » November 12th, 2011, 7:55 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote: . . . I will be adding a couple of technical options to it this
winter. Potential projects - old tires filled w/gravel section, elevated wooden walkway w/skinny, log piles, etc.

Big +1 on skinny. How about a jump somewhere? I gots to gets me some air!

Great work and pics of the log pile their, Jay! Looking forward to hooking up with y'all tomorrow.

-Mike

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Jay22 » November 12th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Sweet deal! And thanks! ill be on the silver and green iron horse.
Jay22

Postby Jay22 » November 12th, 2011, 9:14 pm

mmrobertson69 wrote:
SANTA_CRUZ wrote: . . . I will be adding a couple of technical options to it this

Big +1 on skinny. How about a jump somewhere? I gots to gets me some air!

Great work and pics of the log pile their, Jay! Looking forward to hooking up with y'all tomorrow.

-Mike

I would love a fast flowing freeride area with jumps. I have been looking around back there and I have a couple of ideas that I want to run by Santa Cruz. These trails are a result of him and his efforts and labor, along with many others, but I think he got the single track trails started in the first place, and if he gets the ok, I'm in for building.
Jay22

Postby ibisman » November 13th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Imagemet a couple people this morning for a ride and did several laps. New skinny being built by Santa Cruz here.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Jay22 » November 13th, 2011, 1:16 pm

That was fun. Hopefully I can get back out soon and try the skinny.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » November 13th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Whew ! What a day. I loaded up the truck with wood, my trail wagon, chainsaw and tools and headed to the trail.
Took out the downed tree on Crooked Vulture, the two trees in an inverted V on Buckshaver, prepared the long tree
you see in the picture that ibisman posted for a cool skinny option on the West loop (turned out to be more work than I thought) and added a 5 foot extention on one of the boardwalks on Lucky Dawg (it needed more length for spring puddles)

But, I saw/chatted with many of my trail friends along the way - Mike R, Dave, Jay, Jeff & his son (back on a bike, cool !)
and then on my way back to my truck from LD, Travis with his son in tow in a trailer. Nice unusually warm Nov day and it
was great to be out in the woods seeing so many people enjoying a day on the trail system. Time for some cold beers :D
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby mmrobertson69 » November 14th, 2011, 6:57 am

Here's the man with the plan:

[imghttp://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3022/img1821qj.jpg][/img]

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 14th, 2011, 7:08 pm

[quote="mmrobertson69"]Here's the man with the plan:

Much better:

Steve_Balogh

Postby mmrobertson69 » November 14th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Thanks, Steve. Can't seem to figure out how to directly post pics. Followed the thread and everything...
Ah well.

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 14th, 2011, 9:09 pm

mmrobertson69 wrote:Thanks, Steve. Can't seem to figure out how to directly post pics. Followed the thread and everything...
Ah well.

You had it right, two brackets were missing

Should be [img].....[/img]
Steve_Balogh

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions