Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby Jay22 » November 8th, 2011, 6:47 pm

deezler wrote:Are there any plans to improve signage and flow or better connecting the disparate trails?

Have to say, given all the attention this thread gets, these trails sound like a lot of fun, but not knowing where the heck I am going and having to link together dinky 1 and 2 mile long loops is keeping me from making the trip out. Seems like with a little more effort and forethought the various loops could be linked in a more continuous fashion? Or does that not fit the plan for this park? I know the trail system has grown piece by piece over the years. But with 5 or 6+ total miles built now, is there any desire to create one master, destination-quality trail?

Maybe a better trail map would help too; having to read that word document and memorize trail locations and descriptions isn't the best either. Not to sound like a d!ck, sorry. I'm sure it would all make some sense if I actually just got out there and tried it out.

The way everything is laid out, there isnt a single body of forest big enough. It is all separated by a main gravel path, so we cut where we can. However, most trail ends are like 10 feet from the next head. Some are a couple hundred feet, but you can make it all one loop really. its not like you do a 1 mile loop, then ride 5 miles and hit another mile trail. That would just suck. haha!
Jay22

Postby deezler » November 8th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Ah, I see. Ok, fair enough, totally. But how about someone decides the most efficient way to rock all the loops consecutively, without doubling back or repeating, and post up that particular route map? :P
deezler

Postby Jay22 » November 8th, 2011, 10:48 pm

If I knew how to make a map on the computer, I would do it. You could run it two or three different ways and make everything one run. That is what I do, except for the newer maple trail and snake leg. They are smaller and a ways away from the other trails. Hopefully there will be some new trails coming this winter. I hope we can cut a few more miles in before spring. That would be sweet.

Actually, I am going to try to get out there tomorrow. Ill try to do the google pedometer map while I am riding, because it is easy to get mixed up back there. Hopefully that will be accurate. But the best way is to just come out and go for it. The map that is posted is not complete anyway. There are more trails that that back there.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » November 9th, 2011, 9:54 am

Like Jay has stated, we are basically forced into putting trail where you can in between the gravel pathways and in any large enough body of woods that doesn't get flooded by the Rouge River. Plus, you have to stay on Wayne County property because this park goes by sub-divisions/private properties or else you get angry neighbors who like to complain.
The best way to get a continuous loop to ride is to just come out and explore it a few times, once you do it's very easy to connect the loops together for a semi-seamless flow and it's nice that you can ride it in either direction.

We will be adding some trail this winter, but I don't think it will be a few miles worth, but I am always looking for ways to add more length. As far as signage goes, it would be nice if people would just leave the signs and arrows alone and not vandalize them for reasons unknown to me or anyone that rides out there. It is very frustrating to say the least :evil:
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » November 9th, 2011, 10:14 am

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Like Jay has stated, we are basically forced into putting trail where you can in between the gravel pathways and in any large enough body of woods that doesn't get flooded by the Rouge River. Plus, you have to stay on Wayne County property because this park goes by sub-divisions/private properties or else you get angry neighbors who like to complain.
The best way to get a continuous loop to ride is to just come out and explore it a few times, once you do it's very easy to connect the loops together for a semi-seamless flow and it's nice that you can ride it in either direction.

We will be adding some trail this winter, but I don't think it will be a few miles worth, but I am always looking for ways to add more length. As far as signage goes, it would be nice if people would just leave the signs and arrows alone and not vandalize them for reasons unknown to me or anyone that rides out there. It is very frustrating to say the least :evil:

No kidding. Im about to post signs and hide in the trees nearby with a paintball gun and just hammer whoever takes them down. :D

Anyway, can't wait to start some new trails!
Jay22

Postby Jay22 » November 10th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Sup! Well, I went out there yesterday and today. It was sloppy yesterday, and decent today. I got some pictures of the snow falling under the power lines. It was fun riding in the snow, and I spent a bit of time moving any downed trees that I could. There are trees down everywhere from the wind yesterday.

It was fun and quiet. Not a soul around. Thats the first time I have ever broken a sweat in 40 degree weather under snow. ;)
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » November 11th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Sounds like you had a good ride Jay !! Your description was good, it made a picture in my head. :D
Thanks for clearing downed stuff !

I took the day off work today (played hookie if you will) and worked on the trail. Is that weird ? I don't think so..
I cleared an extention of Buck Shaver that we cut last winter, but then due to the spring rains / flooding / overgrowth,
we couldn't get back to develop this section and concentrated on the main body of the new addition. (got some riding)

But, today, I opened up another 1/3 of a mile and it needs people to hike it, ride it, use it because it's rough cut
and will be a little bumpy, lumpy until it gets some use and packing down. Be one of the first kids on your block to
go ride it and say you were there when it was brand new ! I will be adding a couple of technical options to it this
winter. Potential projects - old tires filled w/gravel section, elevated wooden walkway w/skinny, log piles, etc.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » November 11th, 2011, 8:21 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Sounds like you had a good ride Jay !! Your description was good, it made a picture in my head. :D
Thanks for clearing downed stuff !

I took the day off work today (played hookie if you will) and worked on the trail. Is that weird ? I don't think so..
I cleared an extention of Buck Shaver that we cut last winter, but then due to the spring rains / flooding / overgrowth,
we couldn't get back to develop this section and concentrated on the main body of the new addition. (got some riding)

But, today, I opened up another 1/3 of a mile and it needs people to hike it, ride it, use it because it's rough cut
and will be a little bumpy, lumpy until it gets some use and packing down. Be one of the first kids on your block to
go ride it and say you were there when it was brand new ! I will be adding a couple of technical options to it this
winter. Potential projects - old tires filled w/gravel section, elevated wooden walkway w/skinny, log piles, etc.

ARGH! You gotta call me when your cutting new trail! That is what I love to do. Are you going back out this weekend? Where is the new stuff you cut?

Lets go out this weekend and cut more/ride/pack down the new stuff. Please? Lol! I wanna build some tech sections and build some berms. Ill bring shovels, a weed whipper, whatever else I have that we can use. Come on! *beep*, Ill even bring my girl along. She would love to help.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » November 12th, 2011, 6:15 am

Sorry I didn't call you Jay, but it was kind of last minute and I knew that I could tackle this job myself, but it does need a little more length and I will be adding some tech features to it, so will let you know when that happens. The next time you ride the Buck Shaver section you will see it (and ride it). I don't know if I'm getting back out there this weekend, but
I'll contact you if I do and don't worry, we will be working out there most of the winter adding things here and there !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby mmrobertson69 » November 12th, 2011, 9:07 am

I rode the trail yesterday afternoon. (It was cold. . .). Got there about 2:30 and I think I was the first on the block to ride the new spur off of the Buckshaver, which I shall call the 'Uniroyal Loop' for obvious reasons. Its a nice little loop-di-loo. Thanks again for your work Gary. Too bad I didn't get there in time to help you out.
Also, there was a large, chainsaw worthy tree down across the East Loop, just before the old car front end.
The inverted 'V' trees on the firt bucksaver climb are really low and unavigable. I think it needs to go...
And I still don't like the set-up for the last ramp on Lucky Dog. The log pile IMO is too close to the ramp and doesn't make for good flow. Maybe its just me... But its still WAY better than the widow-maker that was there previously.
Overall the trail was slick and greasy but in good shape and a ton of fun. Going to have fun cleaning my bike for the next time I get it dirty.
BTW heading to Treefarm at 2pm if any of you all want to join me.
Later,
Mike R.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Jay22 » November 12th, 2011, 9:48 am

Cool Gary. It's just so much fun building trails. I love doing it and would love to help.
As far as that log pile goes, I have a plan. I was going to leave it for the technical crowd but I have trouble with it as well, but my bike is old and rigid so I figured it was just me. I am going to change that pile soon. Hopefully today.
Jay22

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 12th, 2011, 10:02 am

Jay22 wrote:Cool Gary. It's just so much fun building trails. I love doing it and would love to help.
As far as that log pile goes, I have a plan. I was going to leave it for the technical crowd but I have trouble with it as well, but my bike is old and rigid so I figured it was just me. I am going to change that pile soon. Hopefully today.
+1 on that, robbed me on the 29r, never tried it with the fatbike which would probably work. Maybe "shave" it down some or try some different logs in a fashion similar to that dual log pile near the entrance to the wetlands that don't rob too much momentum.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Jay22 » November 12th, 2011, 10:32 am

Steve_Balogh wrote:
Jay22 wrote:Cool Gary. It's just so much fun building trails. I love doing it and would love to help.
+1 on that, robbed me on the 29r, never tried it with the fatbike which would probably work. Maybe "shave" it down some or try some different logs in a fashion similar to that dual log pile near the entrance to the wetlands that don't rob too much momentum.

If I'm not hauling *beep*, I won't make it cause my pedals bottom out. I'm gonna mess with it today. Not sure how, cause I can't move the big tree we used for the pile.
Jay22

Postby ibisman » November 12th, 2011, 10:42 am

I never had a problem with the log pile after that ramp...just don't touch the brakes. I'm heading out there tomorrow morning around 10 if anyone wants to ride.going to stay for a couple hours so I can get some miles in. And on that low v on buckshaver...put yer chin on the stem and its a breeze.:)
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 12th, 2011, 11:08 am

Jay22 wrote:
Steve_Balogh wrote:

If I'm not hauling *beep*, I won't make it cause my pedals bottom out. I'm gonna mess with it today. Not sure how, cause I can't move the big tree we used for the pile.

I might be out there today riding my 29r & cross bike, I might give it a try again - sometimes log piles break in nice after use. Perhaps a little more lead in or slight dirt fill? Not too many of these features in other trails, I'm thinking most of us just don't have the experience. My fatbike has a higher BB position and being 1x9 I have more confidence taking these on than with my 29r, with a lower BB. I noticed this at Rolling Hills also. Check out the two logpiles I mentioned, might give you some ideas. I doubt you have much to change with what you have.
Steve_Balogh

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions