Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/25/2011

Postby ibisman » October 25th, 2011, 11:48 am

got a couple laps in before the rain started. a few slick spots but it is all rideable even all the ramps and log piles. Thanks for cutting the downed trees guys.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/25/2011

Postby Jay22 » October 25th, 2011, 12:29 pm

ibisman wrote:got a couple laps in before the rain started. a few slick spots but it is all rideable even all the ramps and log piles. Thanks for cutting the downed trees guys.

:wink:
Jay22

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 29th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Did some riding before the big rain today. Some spots were greasy, I flattened out some ruts with my Fatbike, looks like a crossbike went through a few sections. Rode that Maple Section and Snake Leg section. Snake Leg is nice, right along the river's edge (Second pic below).

ImageImage
Image[/url]Image
ImageImage
Steve_Balogh

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 29th, 2011, 8:51 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Yes, the new bandit trail comes very close to a few private properties and residents always get nervous and complain when that happens, sometimes downright irate, so you have to ease their concerns. They think it's going to bring criminals and vagrants into their backyards.

That Maple Trail has a spur that goes directly into a backyard, looks like it was built that way on purpose. It's got signage and nicely built small bridges/boardwalks, is that your work or the "bandit"? Directly opposite, maybe a littleways east across the crushed limestone track by the bridge exists another set of trails bordering private property, looks like the residents did that, I see them returning home almost everytime I ride Morton Taylor.
Steve_Balogh

Postby scat silvurz » October 30th, 2011, 10:14 am

That bench is incredible.........I fear that it will be vandalized before too long....
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby mmrobertson69 » October 30th, 2011, 4:23 pm

scat silvurz wrote:That bench is incredible.........I fear that it will be vandalized before too long....

It was vandalized last winter, but repaired by the sculptor. Everyone who uses the park does their bit to protect it. And the sculptor kinda figured that he was going to have to repair it here and there.

I rode one loop this afternoon, and the trail was in good shape. There were a fair amount of greasy spots, especially on the south loop, but nothing unrideable.

Looks like someone took a leaf-blower to most of the trail. It was very clear and easy to find overall. Thanks to whomever the repsonsible party is.

Keep praying for clear weather as long as possible.

-Mike R
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Jay22 » October 30th, 2011, 8:33 pm

I'd bet a dollar it was Santa Cruz that did the leaf blowing. I still have to get out there and put a couple of berms in and cover a log pile. I've been so busy that I havent had time, or its raining.

I saw the Snake Leg trail last time I was out, and that was the first time I noticed it. I assume its a bandit trail. Might be people that live close but I'm not sure. I saw the Maple trail as well a while ago. I checked them out only once because I dont want to make the people that live there mad at us mountain bikers.

Oh, Nice Mukluk btw.
Jay22

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 30th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Jay22 wrote:
Oh, Nice Mukluk btw.

Thanks, no Mukluk (2007 Wildfire, DeSalvo vintage). If that's all bandit that guy put a lot of work into it, that's no hack job. All the wood work is clean, well designed and well fastened with woodscrews. The Snake Leg ought to be safe for the neighbors, it's all on the other side of the river.

I'm thinking residents on both sides of that path in that area are doing their own thing. Several months ago I discovered the trail on the otherside of the path and I probably did ride on someone's property. Being right off the bridge I'm sure they'll get more "visitors".
Steve_Balogh

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 31st, 2011, 11:36 am

Nope, I cannot take credit for the Maple trail, but I am waiting to get approval from the township to continue work to expand it and make it even better. So far they are dragging their feet, but I'm thinking that I'll get it. I have no idea who is doing the bandit work, but I'll bet they aren't in the MMBA. This is the first I've heard about the Snake Leg trail, where exactly is it ?

I would have to agree that the people that live near these various little walking paths are doing the work, but it
makes it a touchy situation when mountain bikers or hikers use it and wander onto private property without knowing.
I have not been doing any leaf raking or blowing, so maybe it's Rich, he usually starts doing that this time of the year.
I do have access to a kicka-s-s leaf blower though that makes easy work of this particular job.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 31st, 2011, 6:55 pm

Snake-Leg is east of the Maple close by, south side of the main path. If you travel east from Maple it's easier to see the sign.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Jay22 » October 31st, 2011, 9:23 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:
Jay22 wrote:
Oh, Nice Mukluk btw.

Thanks, no Mukluk (2007 Wildfire, DeSalvo vintage). If that's all bandit that guy put a lot of work into it, that's no hack job. All the wood work is clean, well designed and well fastened with woodscrews. The Snake Leg ought to be safe for the neighbors, it's all on the other side of the river.

I'm thinking residents on both sides of that path in that area are doing their own thing. Several months ago I discovered the trail on the otherside of the path and I probably did ride on someone's property. Being right off the bridge I'm sure they'll get more "visitors".

Oops! It still looks sweet!

@ Santa Cruz; Yeah, that snake leg has got to be brand new. If you are coming from sheldon road, you will pass it before you hit maple trail. Its on your left. I was doing my normal run, which I come out of lucky dawg at the sheldon bridge and hit the main path to canton center, then back and pick up lucky dawg again. On the way back, I noticed the Snake leg section. It has a little sign posted on a tree and has two ferring strips with orange ribbon tied to it. Whoever made it wants people to ride it. I saw it and turned around to ride it. It has a nice little bridge in it, and you can tell its pretty new. The trail isnt quite rode in yet and there are pieces of deadfall marking parts of the trail. Its a short run and is more technical in nature. It comes close to personal property but doesn't enter it.

BTW, Once you get approval for more trail let me know. Ill be out there bright and early with some tools!
Jay22

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 11/3/2011

Postby ibisman » November 3rd, 2011, 11:16 am

Ok, I went looking for the 2 trails (snake leg, and maple), just west of Sheldon rd. Snake leg is new and not marked with arrows but could be something, Maple is really nice though as someone put alot of work into it by doing a pretty long bench cut up the side of a hill to the left as you enter the trail and there is a nice jump coming down the hill. there are arrows and a wood ramp, so someone has done alot. Thanks who ever you are! From the parking lot doing all the loops and the others across Sheldon Rd. I got 7 miles, so I went around the other stuff a couple times and got in 11 miles total.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 11/3/2011

Postby Jay22 » November 3rd, 2011, 9:59 pm

ibisman wrote:Ok, I went looking for the 2 trails (snake leg, and maple), just west of Sheldon rd. Snake leg is new and not marked with arrows but could be something, Maple is really nice though as someone put alot of work into it by doing a pretty long bench cut up the side of a hill to the left as you enter the trail and there is a nice jump coming down the hill. there are arrows and a wood ramp, so someone has done alot. Thanks who ever you are! From the parking lot doing all the loops and the others across Sheldon Rd. I got 7 miles, so I went around the other stuff a couple times and got in 11 miles total.

It did have signs a few days ago. Somebody keeps ripping signs down. Some are missing from the main trails again. I say we paint the trail names on the trees. I'd love to see them take that down. Haha!

Anyway, I was out there today and I ran into Rich. He is the one that cleared the leaves from the trails with a rake. They are in GREAT shape right now, especially with all of the leaves off of the trail. It just looks cool back there and is a really great ride. I rode the west loop about 4 times because of that reason alone.

Rich was also breaking up some bricks to put down in lucky dawg after the new bridge over a mudhole. That guy rocks. He is always back there working.
Jay22

Postby jwhitey » November 4th, 2011, 7:40 pm

I'm kind of excited to ride MT after reading that the leaves have been blown off the trail. That makes a huge difference. I'd like to check out the new sections too.
Anyone going to be there in the morning about 9:00 or earlier?
jwhitey

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » November 6th, 2011, 5:16 pm

I was out there this afternoon and what a gorgeous day for a trail/road ride. I rode to the trail from the house, did all the loops riding Crooked Vulture (someone ripped the sign down) and the East loop twice before heading down the 275 bike path to Sweet bikes and then back again into the nasty, but warm wind. I kept passing a guy riding at the same time I was on an older Gary Fisher. The parking lot was full with people out hiking and walking their doggies on this beautiful day.

So glad that I got out for a 30 mile ride on such a nice day and throughly enjoyed the late fall sunshine. Getting ideas on
what to do this winter for trail improvements as well, so look forward to some cool stuff for next season ! :D
Rich, thank you so much for raking the trail, makes it SO much easier to follow this time of the year.

Happy Trails !
SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions