Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby TomE. » October 18th, 2011, 10:28 am

Rode this trail yesterday, it was pretty cool. I was a little confused on a couple of areas, and the leaves covering the trail made it a little difficult to follow, but after a couple of laps it started to make sense. That big tree was still there.

Here's how I tackled it, maybe those who've ridden it a lot can give some advice on a better route:

1. South loop: started directly in back of the parking lot restrooms and exited at Morton-Taylor, right where you pick up the East loop.
2. East loop: began at the sign on MT, followed it up the little climb, then along the fence-line to Lilley. Jumped on the gravel path, then up the little climb just before the pedestrian bridge. Passed half a car on my right, then the downed tree, then saw the sign for Crooked Vulture.
3. West Loop: Followed this along the north edge until I saw a sign for Sheldon Loop. Followed that across 4-5 wooden bridges/jumps , lots of leaves in this area, but the trail was fairly obvious. I wasn't sure I was going in the right direction a lot of the time. Got spit out onto a gravel path, followed that back to MT, across the pedestrian bridge, then jumped on the East again.

I did this a few times, ended up riding for about an hour. Saw a couple of other riders out there, as well as hikers. It was a good ride, really fun trail.
TomE.

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 18th, 2011, 11:18 am

TomE, I'm not sure how you got onto the trail behind the porta-potties, probably that little game path that leads to
the Buck Shaver section (signs got ripped down soon after I put them up), but you can access the South loop by going down the path at the Northwest end of the parking lot, you'll see the sign at the entrance. That leads to the Dragon's Tail section and the large part of the South loop which is directly behind the parking lot.

The East loop has a self contained loop within the woods before you get to the ITC powerlines area. Sounds like you found the entrance to Crooked Vulture which is just west of the large ped bridge. Gotta get that tree outta there tonight, that's a real blocker.

The section with the ramps/bridges you were on is Lucky Dawg which is a technical extension of the West loop. Where it sounds like you came out onto the gravel path you should've turned left and went down about 50 feet to where it the singletrack continues (there are arrow signs on trees at either intersection). It continues and gets you back to the main part of the West loop. Either direction you ride it is fine.

Yes, the leaves down on the trail make it more challenging to follow, but as soon as they are done falling, Rich and I will clear them off of the trail to make it easier to follow in the winter months. This trail doesn't get the traffic to smash them down enough and the clay based soil doesn't seem to mind them being removed. (whole other discussion)

Hope that helps and keep enjoying the trail !
SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby TomE. » October 18th, 2011, 3:00 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:TomE, I'm not sure how you got onto the trail behind the porta-potties, probably that little game path that leads to
the Buck Shaver section (signs got ripped down soon after I put them up), but you can access the South loop by going down the path at the Northwest end of the parking lot, you'll see the sign at the entrance. That leads to the Dragon's Tail section and the large part of the South loop which is directly behind the parking lot.

There was a wide opening (6 feet?) where I went in. Seemed logical, but there wasn't much of a singletrack trail so I wasn't certain I was on the main part of the South. I'll look a little further NW next time.

Where it sounds like you came out onto the gravel path you should've turned left and went down about 50 feet to where it the singletrack continues (there are arrow signs on trees at either intersection). It continues and gets you back to the main part of the West loop.

Ack, yeah, I didn't look close enough. Still though, I was able to get some saddle time on the gravel trail on a nice fall day.

Yes, the leaves down on the trail make it more challenging to follow, but as soon as they are done falling, Rich and I will clear them off of the trail to make it easier to follow in the winter months. This trail doesn't get the traffic to smash them down enough and the clay based soil doesn't seem to mind them being removed. (whole other discussion)

Leave don't bother me, unless I'm trying to locate the trail...heh. I can use any bike handling skills the trail can throw at me, including sticks and leaves and kamikaze chipmunks. I really liked the trail. I put together a 26" full squish this summer, so it was a perfect fit out there. I will definitely get out there more often.
TomE.

Postby Jay22 » October 18th, 2011, 7:41 pm

It is a nice little trail. At first I got confused as well but after a few runs you figure it out. I don't know about the buckshaver section by name, but I know I have ridden it.

If you are ever planning on going there again, shoot me a pm a bit ahead of time, maybe the day before. It will go to my phone so I will get it and if I am available I can head out that way. I live close by and I could give you a tour.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 19th, 2011, 11:11 am

One of these days, I'll come across the people that I communicate on this forum including Jay22.
Glad you guys are enjoying the trail !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 19th, 2011, 1:10 pm

No kidding! One day we will cross paths i'm sure.

I was there this morning sliding around a bit back there. Was a great ride today! I saw the big tree down near the half-car, and a massive part of a tree blocking the little climb on the trail opposite crooked vulture. (Not sure the name of that one). I didn't even notice it on my first lap, but the second time around I came out of crooked vulture and headed over the bridge into that trail to hit that hill and realized I was going to be walking up this time. It's time for a chainsaw for sure!
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 20th, 2011, 11:31 am

When you say the trail opposite of CV are you refering to the East loop which is between Morton-Taylor and Lilley ?
CV is between the large ped bridge west of Lilley and the West loop (Morton-Taylor again). Exact location helps
when you're lugging a large chainsaw (but I have a modified golf bag cart to easy that situation)

I've been trying to get out there the last two nights, but between working late and the rain, it isn't happening.
Most likely Sat morning at this point unless I get out of here at a reasonable time tonight. :roll:

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 20th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Let me know when you are going, Ill show up and help you. This one is a two man job for sure. Its the loop between morton taylor and lilly. When you enter off of the main trail after the ped bridge to the right, (The one after the crooked vulture entrance on the left) you have to ride a short trail and then go up a small but steep hill. It is right there.

If you weren't to enter the trail and stay on the main path, you end up at lilly road. So it sounds like the east loop. (I would have never guessed, because to me it isn't a loop, it ends at lilly and then you ride the shoulder back to the main path and then head towards crooked vulture if you want to ride it that way.)
Jay22

Postby Jay22 » October 21st, 2011, 4:53 pm

Was out there earlier this afternoon. Cleared a little bit of dead fall but now there are more trees leaning over the trail in a couple of spots. Next time I head out there which will probably be tomorrow morning I'll take a handsaw and some loppers with me. I'll make it a trail work/ride day. I don't have a chainsaw so I can only handle the smaller stuff.
Jay22

Postby jwhitey » October 21st, 2011, 10:21 pm

It's not too wet to ride?
jwhitey

Postby Jay22 » October 22nd, 2011, 1:03 pm

Na, as long as you stay out of lucky dawg and it isn't pouring rain, its fine. It gets a little slick on the bridges and where all the leaves are so you have to be aware of that. Its not like a foot of mud or anything. After a couple of days of rain, I would wait for a couple days of dry weather before trying the lucky dawg section. It does get a little mucky back there.
Jay22

Postby ibisman » October 22nd, 2011, 1:07 pm

When you going jwhitey?
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby jwhitey » October 22nd, 2011, 1:29 pm

I went to Hewens Creek. That's a really cool trail. Pretty flat but it's a turn fest. Lot's of drifting on the dew covered grass and leaves.
How about a ride tomorrow?
jwhitey

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 22nd, 2011, 11:49 pm

I got out there this morning to clear the downed trees on the Crooked Vulture section and halfway into the East loop.
I met Jay22 in the parking lot who showed up to help me and we saw many cars in the parking lot on this nice day :D
Thanks Jay !

After we cleared the first two, we hiked over to Lucky Dawg and got rid of that tree on one end that was an an
angle (head level) just after/before a long ramp bridge, turning the pieces into a cool new log pile and covered up a problem muddy spot in the process. It turned out nicely and added the 6th logpile to this section (+7 ramp/bridges)
We saw/spoke with Rich on the way out and I believe that he was going to do some more work on the new logpile.

More improvements to be worked on in the coming months, tis the season for trail building/enhancements.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 23rd, 2011, 9:57 pm

That new log pile does ride quite well. Its surprisingly smooth actually. I almost want to toss some rocks on it or something! Haha!

Man, today was awesome at the home town trail. That place was packed to the gills. I was tempted to ask all the bikers in the parking lot to stand together so I could take a picture and post it here. Ran into SANTA_CRUZ again today sporting a sweet Van Dessel. I tried to catch back up to you after you passed me in the power field but those *beep* business calls catch me on the trail almost every time. You were long gone. ;)

It was just a great day, that is until my weak-ass tires washed out where Lucky Dawg exits onto the main path on that last hairpin curve. I hit the ground hard, then continued along the trail running into what appeared to be a Mother and her friend, along with a couple of her kids. They were walking Lucky Dawg (They parked their bikes on the main path) and had never seen it before. I stopped so they could pass and they asked a few questions about that part of the trail. They said it was awesome and was one of the coolest things they had ever come across. I told them I would pass the word along to the people responsible for that and they thanked me. So good job SANTA_CRUZ!

Sweet day, can't wait to get back out there. I hope my tires show up soon.
Jay22

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions