Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby Jay22 » October 6th, 2011, 7:15 pm

I agree. When I first went on L.D I saw the signs about ramps and got excited, but was a little let down. I know we could make some great stuff back there. Also, who piled all that wood that blocks part of the trail there?
Jay22

Postby ibisman » October 6th, 2011, 7:24 pm

We blocked it because you are supossed to turn right and come out on the other side. We have to put an arrow there.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Jay22 » October 6th, 2011, 8:16 pm

ibisman wrote:We blocked it because you are supossed to turn right and come out on the other side. We have to put an arrow there.

Alright then. Yeah, I didn't see it until the last second because I came in off the big trail when I saw the bridge. I had to jam on the brakes there. I never come in from that area so at first I was confused. I thought maybe you guys blocked it off while you were building and forgot to move it, then realized that I could just go around. If I enter from a different spot anywhere I get mixed up back there. I don't know the trail system that well yet.

Most of the time I have no idea which way I am supposed to go, I just ride the trails all different ways to get a good workout while having fun. :D
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 7th, 2011, 9:06 am

The area back there is pretty small, always working around the river, but where trail sections come very close to each other you have no other choice than to make piles of deadfall to keep them separated. But, like anything else, unless everything is "bolted down" people like to move it to suit the trail to their own needs which causes confusion to others
when they go down the trail. Lucky Dawg is a continuous extention loop off of the West loop and if you start moving things that I've put there for a reason it causes this problem. Although, the people moving things probably don't frequent this forum. Kids on BMX bikes for example.

One of the nice things about this trail is that due to the low volume of traffic, we can leave it "non-directional" alllowing a rider to ride it in both directions and make it more interesting. Due to this factor, you must be careful regardless.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 7th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Alright then. I rode it this morning off of the sheldon bridge and back to the sheldon bridge, then I hit it again off of the west loop. I don't ever move anything other than deadfall, that's why I asked about that wood pile instead of just moving it. It seemed out of place to me since I had never seen it there before, thus assuming it wasn't supposed to be there.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 9th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Got out there around lunchtime today and put spars urethane and dirt on the first bridge of the south loop to address the slippery when wet issue that ibisman mentioned. Have to do the same to the other bridge soon. Went home and had some lunch.

Then for the third time this week, rode there from my house (I love being able to do that !) and rode all the loops at least once, some twice. The parking lot was full of all different types of trail users - those using the gravel paths for a
leisurely cruise or hike, dog walkers, hikers and mtb riders on the singletrack and photographers all enjoying this awesome unusually warm October day with a background of a rainbow of colors. Man, the leaves are really falling, too !

I had such a great time and then stopped for a well deserved cold Canadian beer on the way home. It doesn't get better.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 9th, 2011, 9:41 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Got out there around lunchtime today and put spars urethane and dirt on the first bridge of the south loop to address the slippery when wet issue that ibisman mentioned. Have to do the same to the other bridge soon. Went home and had some lunch.

Then for the third time this week, rode there from my house (I love being able to do that !) and rode all the loops at least once, some twice. The parking lot was full of all different types of trail users - those using the gravel paths for a
leisurely cruise or hike, dog walkers, hikers and mtb riders on the singletrack and photographers all enjoying this awesome unusually warm October day with a background of a rainbow of colors. Man, the leaves are really falling, too !

I had such a great time and then stopped for a well deserved cold Canadian beer on the way home. It doesn't get better.

SC 8)

What time did you ride up there? At one point I saw a guy riding in on a mountain bike who was looking at a couple of guys in a lifted truck while they were coming in there because they were coming in kind of quick. Was that you? Silver helmet and what looked like a hydro pack? I had just packed my bike up after a ten mile ride back there between trails and single track, and was sitting in my car when I saw that happen. I wasn't sure what was going on but for a second I thought something bad was going to happen. Heck, you may have even seen me on the single track if you were back there at that time. I ride a rigid green/silver Iron horse.

I had a great time up there today. You are right about the leaves falling. It is simply gorgeous back there right now. I had a blast back there today as well and ended up talking with a couple of passerby's while I was taking a little rest and sipping some water. It was a great day and pretty active.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 10th, 2011, 8:30 am

No, that wasn't me, but I was in the woods when I heard what sounded like a big truck going way too fast in the lot.
Could be one of the same idiots that were back on the South loop two track in the spring tearing things up. :x

I was there between 2:40-4. I have a copper/carbon colored helmet and was on a yellow bike (my Superlight). Don't
remember seeing a green/silver Iron Horse, so we must have just missed each other. I saw two guys riding together, one on a blue Specialized and directed them towards the new Buck Shaver section off of the South (Whitetail) loop.
I was getting some ideas for many improvements on the different sections of trail. I will be contacting you for berms.

This time of the year is the most popular for this system due to the tree colors, nice temps and lack of biting bugs.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/10/2011

Postby ibisman » October 10th, 2011, 12:59 pm

I got 11 miles in this morning and the trail was nice. Tacky in spots but no mud.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby Jay22 » October 10th, 2011, 2:45 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:No, that wasn't me, but I was in the woods when I heard what sounded like a big truck going way too fast in the lot.
Could be one of the same idiots that were back on the South loop two track in the spring tearing things up. :x

I was there between 2:40-4. I have a copper/carbon colored helmet and was on a yellow bike (my Superlight). Don't
remember seeing a green/silver Iron Horse, so we must have just missed each other. I saw two guys riding together, one on a blue Specialized and directed them towards the new Buck Shaver section off of the South (Whitetail) loop.
I was getting some ideas for many improvements on the different sections of trail. I will be contacting you for berms.

This time of the year is the most popular for this system due to the tree colors, nice temps and lack of biting bugs.

Yeah we must have just missed each other. That truck was coming in way too fast and they looked like they were looking for a place to mud bog. Couple of tools that didn't appear to be very intelligent. :lol:

So its a go on some berms. Cool deal!
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 15th, 2011, 7:18 pm

I was out there this afternoon with a Japanese visitor from work and the rain has made the leaves on the trail wet and slippery, especially on the ramps and bridges, so please be careful. My friend had his bike (mine) go out from under him a few times, so maintain a straight line and walk the obstacles when necessary. We didn't ride the South loop, but the West was wet and the East and Crooked Vulture were not bad. I was supposed to have a good group from work, but I think the rain and wind kept them away. :(

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 17th, 2011, 8:18 am

I was out on the Buckshaver section of the South loop yesterday afternoon and there is a large tree down (just the smaller portion of the top of it is blocking) across the trail after the first bridge. I didn't bring my hand saw with me
so I couldn't do anything with it, but I will try to get out there later this week to clear it if nobody else does in the meantime. I ran into Steve Balogh (with his new tires) while I was out there and we talked a bit.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/17/2011

Postby ibisman » October 17th, 2011, 11:06 am

I cut out the tree on that new loop just out off the parking lot. There is a huge one down just after the abandoned car going west from crooked vulture. Too big for my hand saw. All bridges and ramps god except for the first one out of the parking lot. It was covered with dew and is slicker than ice when wet. Second lap it was dry.Image
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 17th, 2011, 11:19 am

Thanks for clearing that tree on BS Dave. I will have to haul the chainsaw out to CV tonight or tomorrow to get the big one. That's funny how quick that fell because I was just through that area about 5 last night and it was all clear.
I added urethane and sand to the first bridge out of the parking lot, but it isn't helping with the wet slippery issue ?

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ibisman » October 17th, 2011, 1:49 pm

It was still slick from the dew I guess. I have a square or two of shingles if you want we could cut them in strips and nail them down for traction.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions