Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby Jay22 » October 5th, 2011, 10:45 am

Sounds great man. Yesterday morning I was there and I picked up a couple of dead fall branches and tried to patch up some mud spots, I should have put bark down. I was looking for decent sized branches I could break and put over the mud spots, but I had to get back home so the lady could go about her day and hang with the kiddies.

I do agree about the injury side of things, I even thought about that after I posted. I then thought maybe having the stunts there, but maybe Five feet off the ground instead and abandoning the whole double jump section idea, maybe a small wood wall-ride to loop back instead.

I do understand the whole technical standpoint as far as berms go, but the spots I was thinking about, you could easily not ride it that way and pretend it isn't there. I would put them off a little further so you actually would have to intend to use the feature. Next time you are going out there, be it a work day or not let me know. PM me because it goes right to my phone and I will get it in time. Ill show you what I mean and if you thinks it would be a good add-on then I have no problem building it, I'll just need a little help from more experienced trail builders with design and placement.

I'll be riding up there probably every day until the weather gets cold again so I will be around for sure.
Jay22

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/5/2011

Postby ibisman » October 5th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Look at our new bridge...Santa Cruz and I got alot done on the new bridge in the swampy area. Its called "the train trestle".
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby deezler » October 5th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Nice work! Was it needed to cross the mud puddle or just for fun?
deezler

Postby ibisman » October 5th, 2011, 3:03 pm

its a swampy low area thats flooded sooo.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby c0nsumer » October 5th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Just curious, do you have anything beneath the 4x4s to help keep it from sinking? If so, what? I'm curious because we're considering some bridges like this at River Bends.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ibisman » October 5th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Big flat metal plates about 1/4" thick on the bottom of the 4X4's. They should sink some but not wash away. it worked on the other bridges.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby c0nsumer » October 5th, 2011, 3:39 pm

ibisman wrote:Big flat metal plates about 1/4" thick on the bottom of the 4X4's. They should sink some but not wash away. it worked on the other bridges.

Nice. That sounds like it'll work. How large?
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/5/2011

Postby Jay22 » October 5th, 2011, 3:45 pm

ibisman wrote:Look at our new bridge...Santa Cruz and I got alot done on the new bridge in the swampy area. Its called "the train trestle".

Awesome! I can help you guys out with this stuff if you let me know when you are going.

What trail is that on? I dont recognize it from the pics. Can't wait to see it.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 5th, 2011, 4:52 pm

The 1/4" thick metal plates are about 4" x 8" and screwed to the bottom of the 4" x 4"s, should help with the sinking issue, but the water gets pretty wicked back there in the spring months, so we'll see how Mother Nature treats this big bridge.
The half cinder blocks will help, but we still have to add some anchors at the ends to keep things stable and vandal proof.

The location of this is about halfway into the Lucky Dawg tech section where it comes very close to the gravel pathway.
We were surprized how many hikers, runners and bikers passed us on a weekday, doesn't anybody work anymore ? !
Regardless, I was happy to see so many people using the trail system to get their workout fix in on such a beautiful day !

Thanks again to ibisman for coming out to help on such short notice, I PMed him just a half hour before I left the house.
Also, thanks for posting the pictures of our hard work so quickly, the "train trestle" (as it will be called) looks awesome !
This bridge will provide a passage over an area that stays flooded for a good 2+ months and adds another cool feature.

PLEASE don't ride it yet until it's finished which will be tomorrow, thanks to Toyota Tech & Bob St. John for providing the wood, Rich for making the steel plates and Canton Township for letting this very cool urban trail be a reality !! :D

Until next time,
SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby mmrobertson69 » October 5th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Looks awesome! I can be out there Friday afternoon if you all need any help.
Later,
Mike
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Jay22 » October 5th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Ok, that is where I assumed it would be but I wasn't sure. If you are going to be working on it tomorrow then I might be able to help out if you need it. I promised my daughter I would take her for a ride back there tomorrow since she has the day off from school. So depending on what time, I might be available. If you need some help, shoot me a pm.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 6th, 2011, 12:21 pm

The new 32 foot "train trestle" bridge on Lucky Dawg is officially finished and ready to ride ! :D

As I type this, ibisman is probably riding it, being the very first rider to do so. We got out this
morning, installed some anti-bounce and end anchors, made the transistions, cleared/moved
the trail approaches and screwed down the final planks on the ends (ran out of screws yesterday).

It looks really cool and might be a little intimidating when you first see it (it's four feet off the ground in the middle)
but it's three feet wide and has a bypass on one side if a user chooses not to use it. Plus, the main reason I planned and
built it is because this section is under a foot of water during the spring thaw months, so it allows annual passage.

Go check it out !
SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/6/2011

Postby ibisman » October 6th, 2011, 12:57 pm

I rode it and its great from both directions.just keep the speed up and its nice. hope to do some more in the future.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby Jay22 » October 6th, 2011, 6:00 pm

The bridge is great guys! Thanks for all of your work!
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 6th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I think I may have been have been the second one to ride the new feature (cuz I only saw one set of tire tracks), I rode there from my house early this afternoon and hit Lucky Dawg first, riding the bridge both ways repeatedly checking out different speeds and lines in each direction with no problem whatsoever. It was actually easier than I thought it would be, but at the same time fun and exciting. :D Like ibisman said, I would like to incorporate more wood constucted features on this trail. He also stated that it's kinda like Ray's MTB park but in the woods and I would have to agree.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions