Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby Jay22 » September 30th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Was there today. A few downed trees/branches from the wind and Lucky Dog is pretty mucky. I had to keep going back and filling in my tire ruts. Even slid out a few times here and there but it was fun anyway. I moved all the tree branches that I could but a couple are entire trees and we either need a few people or a saw. Or I could put some smaller pieces in front of it and call it a roll-over. Not sure if that was ok so I left it alone. Stay out of lucky dog for a couple of days after the rain clears up. Everything else is alright though. You'll just get dirty. ;)
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 1st, 2011, 6:13 pm

Thanks for your efforts at clearing the deadfall and fixing your tire ruts Jay22 ! I talked with Rich last night and he had cleared some branches, but maybe more has fallen since with all the wind today ? Lucky Dawg always suffers the worst from excessive rain, too.

I will be out there next week doing some work where needed and adding some sealer and sand to the small bridge that ibisman mentioned in a previous post. I think I might get started on the big Lucky Dawg bridge that I've been talking about for so long as well.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 1st, 2011, 7:24 pm

Let me know when. If I am free I can come help.

No problem on clearing and covering tire ruts man. The longer a trail can go without major work the better. Besides, I would just be embarrassed if someone were to mention a rutty dug-in section and I knew that it was me, and I was too lazy to go back and fix it knowing it only takes a minute or two. I want these trails around forever!

I bet more has fallen. When I was there I constantly heard things crashing to the ground off in the distance and all the big dead trees leaning on live ones creaking very loud in the wind. There was a couple of times I got a little nervous. I just watched a show called Man, Woman, Wild and they were talking about falling trees and not seeing them coming could easily kill you. So the more the woods creaked and squeaked, and the more I heard huge branches falling around me, the more I considered calling it quits.

I know I cleared about 30+ fallen branches that were fairly big and a bunch of little switch size ones. A couple were just too big to lift. They were whole trees. lol.
Jay22

Postby ibisman » October 1st, 2011, 9:16 pm

Need help? Let me know Santa Cruz.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 2nd, 2011, 9:48 am

I will have to go over to the trail and check the condition, there is a bunch of dead stuff back there so whenever the wind blows like it did I know that there is work to be done. I really appreciate it when people chip in because I can't always get out there. Probably not the safest place to be when the winds get that strong !

I don't know exactly when I'm going to be out there this coming week, but I will definitely contact you both & let you know.

Thanks !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 2nd, 2011, 10:03 am

Cool man. Yeah, those winds were making me nervous. I always try to fix or clean up anything I see when I am riding. I don't mind stopping, it allows me to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. Shoot me a PM a couple of days before you go if you can. The more time I have to plan around everyday family affairs the better.

Looking forward to meeting you guys and doing some work.
Jay22

Postby mmrobertson69 » October 3rd, 2011, 9:47 am

Gonna head out there early this afternoon (2ish) and will check out the deadfall while I ride.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 10/3/2011

Postby ibisman » October 3rd, 2011, 12:23 pm

I took my chainsaw out this morning. First we rode the trail to get an idea where the downed trees were and then walk to cut them out. I saw a few leaners but nothing blocking the trail. We did most of the trail but HamHock is 73 years old and nervous about some sections so we might have missed a few spots. Some mud here and there but much better than I expected.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Jay22 » October 3rd, 2011, 3:08 pm

There is a downed tree in lucky dawg. Or there was, anyway.
Jay22

Postby mmrobertson69 » October 3rd, 2011, 5:25 pm

Wow! Rode this afternoon for the first time in a while and the trail is in great shape. I didn't see the fallen tree on Lucky Dawg that Jay22 mentioned. In fact, I thought LD was in the best shape its ever been in. Thanks to all for the great work keeping the trail maintained.
Can't wait to get out there again for a few more laps. Had a ball today.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Jay22 » October 3rd, 2011, 5:52 pm

mmrobertson69 wrote:Wow! Rode this afternoon for the first time in a while and the trail is in great shape. I didn't see the fallen tree on Lucky Dawg that Jay22 mentioned. In fact, I thought LD was in the best shape its ever been in. Thanks to all for the great work keeping the trail maintained.
Can't wait to get out there again for a few more laps. Had a ball today.

Hmm, someone must have moved it. I know when I was there I moved a ton of dead fall and filled in my (and other riders) tire ruts in the muddy spots.

A general question to the veterans around here, what is the process for adding parts to these trail systems? I know I have seen a few spots back there that would be just great for a pump track, or smaller areas to add some really sweet, (albeit difficult) trail features on the sides that are passable in case riders don't want to attempt them. I was walking around back there last time and I got to thinking about it. I bet we could add some really awesome features here and there and just make this place phenomenal. Some with minimal changes to the landscape.
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 4th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Jay22, a pump track would need township approval, a bunch of dirt and possibly a way to move said dirt instead of using shovels. As far as optional tech features, you would have to meet me out there one day, show me where you are talking about and we could put them in. I do most of the trail additions in the late fall and winter months, so let's plan something and I should be able to get at least a few willing volunteers to help out.

On a related note, it has come to my attention from the township parks & rec department who received a complaint from a few residents and I also heard about it from a couple of trail friends that a bandit trail exists just east of Canton Center and just west of bridge #5 called the Maple Trail. I was out there checking it out recently and although it is on a nice piece of property and fairly well made (someone has put some work into this) it was not approved through the proper channels and the head of parks & rec is a little concerned. I do not know who has made this trail and they probably don't even frequent this board, but I would like to get parts this section blocked off from the residents who have complained and continue to expand on it as it would be a nice addition to the system, has the potential to be lengthened and offers a convenient parking area on the west end of the trail system (the new charter school's).

If anyone knows who has done this work, please step up and let me know and we could work together without disturbing any of the local residents. If not, I think after the township has given the proper approval, Rich and I will continue to develop this bandit trail and make it legit and longer.

Thanks,
SC 8)
Last edited by SANTA_CRUZ on October 5th, 2011, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » October 4th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I don't know anything about a bandit trail, I actually have never ridden the big trail past Sheldon.

I am curious, why would people complain about a trail on state property? Does it back up to someones private land?

Also, I am assuming you are working with the township parks & rec and have authorization to build on this land? (Since you said I would have to meet you out there and show you first.)

Just trying to figure out who is who and how these things work. When I was a kid, if we wanted a trail or bmx track, we picked a spot hidden well away from anyone and went to work. We all knew that we could get into some trouble, but we didn't care being young kids. I would never do this as an adult, hence me asking here first.

I just see all these spots that could use berms in the existing track to keep some speed up instead of having to come to an almost complete stop,turn and trek uphill or end up with a face full of tree bark, or other spots that could have some really crazy features built in, but I always think big. These wouldn't be easy to build by any means, but would be well worth it. Like the trail with that old rusted half of a car sitting there. I bet we could build a ramp up over that thing and lead to some thin tracks about 15 feet up, have them bend around a couple of trees and lead to a ramp down, and then hit a double and afterwards gently meld into the original track. Thats just one idea for that spot. There is a lot of extra space there that could be used for some awesome features. Even a little extra track with a few ten foot jumps built in, or ramps with drop offs. Fun stuff! And most importantly none of it would change the original track. You would have a choice to either use the banks, or hit the features, or not.

In the fall I am all about building some stuff, dunno about winter time though...
Jay22

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 5th, 2011, 7:13 am

I am in constant contact with the Canton parks & rec department who have the authorization to build trail on this Wayne County property. You have to get approval for doing such work or run the risk of having them pull the plug on the project.
Yes, the new bandit trail comes very close to a few private properties and residents always get nervous and complain when that happens, sometimes downright irate, so you have to ease their concerns. They think it's going to bring criminals and vagrants into their backyards.

I too have thought of installing some berms at certain locations to aid in the flow of the trail, but you have to realize that a lot of the tight turns are there by design to make it more technically challenging and build skills. Berms in certain locations would be cool though, especially if you are willing to do the work.

I was just riding there last night and was thinking the same thing about a big ramp over the rusty car, but I think the township might get really nervous from a liability standpoint about anything that far off the ground. I see kids back there all the time and I would hate to get a call hearing that someone got badly hurt and their parents were going to sue Wayne County/Canton !
Even the state parks have gone away from such stunts such as teeter-todders and the like and I've heard similar things about the stunt park at Stony Creek, so we will be staying close to the ground in this area considering the user group.

I am going to have a couple of trail work days and I will post them and contact you when I do.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 5th, 2011, 7:20 am

Oh, forgot to mention, I rode all the loops yesterday afternoon and they are dry, clear of dead fall trees with some leaf cover in places and the bugs aren't nearly as bad as they have been all summer. Perfect time of year to ride this trail.

8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions