Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby b_b » April 7th, 2013, 7:34 am

My son starts practice at Heritage park next week and I'll have 90 minutes to kill. Aww darn. :) I've not rode here before. Now's my chance. I see a path connects from Canton Center. Is it obvious where to jump onto the mtb trail after that? Also any suggested routes (20-25m) until trail is dry? Thanks!
b_b

Postby mmrobertson69 » April 7th, 2013, 8:28 am

The trails can be hard to find your 1st time there because local hooooligans keep tearing the signs down. The trails are multi-directional so have fun exploring. Be prepared for lots of tight turns. If my bike were functional I'd show you around. Perhaps one of the other regulars there will show you?
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Steve_Balogh » April 7th, 2013, 9:46 am

b_b wrote:My son starts practice at Heritage park next week and I'll have 90 minutes to kill. Aww darn. :) I've not rode here before. Now's my chance. I see a path connects from Canton Center. Is it obvious where to jump onto the mtb trail after that? Also any suggested routes (20-25m) until trail is dry? Thanks!

That path you are talking about connects all the way to the I-275 paved trail. So if you want mileage when the MTB trail is too muddy, that path is easy to follow. After you cross Sheldon road you'll cross a bridge and will be facing a section of "Lucky Dawg" loop. If you miss it, other entrance points will be on the left side when riding east. Finding those trails around Lucky Dawg are easy. What most people miss is the East loop, where the best place to start is on the other side (south) of the river. The entrance is between where the parkinglot road turns into the lot, and the river.
Steve_Balogh

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 8th, 2013, 11:27 am

I haven't seen the whole trail myself lately, but from what I've heard from my trail scouts, it is NOT ready for riding yet and this rain predicted for this week isn't going to help. Stay on the gravel pathways for now, there is approximately 4 miles of that from Canton Center to the 275 bike path. The East loop always drys up first since it is on the highest ground, but Crooked Vulture (the return trip) always takes longer as it holds water longer.

In other words, if you get onto a trail and it's really muddy, please turn around and go back. If we have a relatively dry spring (yeah right) the trail should be ready in 2-3 weeks ? It's different every year.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Jay22 » April 8th, 2013, 11:44 am

I did a very short run on the east loop yesterday. It was really dry, except for a little spot here and there, and those little patches weren't muddy. It was easy to ride right around those patches on the dry ground surrounding them, thus causing no damage. I did have to get off and walk around one spot on the west side, just the first little part of the trail. I didn't go any further after that. Heading towards the lower parts would have been pointless im sure, so I didn't even go look.

However, crooked vulture and the east loop were actually quite nice. It was great to get out there. Parts that were always holding water last year during the summer were dried up, I was really surpirsed, I expected to ride the gravel path and just stuck my head in for a quick peek. Plesant surprise indeed.

I did see where some overzealous people have all but destroyed parts of the trail though, plenty of tire ruts in some of my favorite sections. I can only imagine what the technical section looks like.
Jay22

Postby b_b » April 10th, 2013, 6:27 am

Thanks. Got out yesterday. It was raining a little. I jumped on the trail and was solid, but had a greasy top layer, so I decided to stick to the path. That gravel path is actually pretty good and has some nice corners to take at speed. Much nicer than paved and has a more rustic feel. Not bad when mtb trails are soft, but would like more mileage. Jumped on I275 path for a bit. Night and day. Don't care for riding along the Xway. The gravel path also cleaned up my tires nicely by the time I was back. :)
b_b

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 15th, 2013, 6:32 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that the entry for this trail on the Trail Guide has been revised with the help of Webmaster Steve. Thanks buddy !
Updated trail section descriptions, points of interest on the map (including trailhead locations), a new GPS map route from our trail buddy James and
if you zoom in on the red extention of trail on the upper right hand area you will see a very interesting shape that just strangely happened that way.

With all the rain we got last week and more predicted this week, I'm sure the trail surface won't be ready for primetime riding, so please wait a little
longer before riding it so the trail dirt will be nice and rut free for the rest of riding season.

Also, don't forget to check the posting on the General section for info on the June 1st 5th anniversary trail celebration, hope to see you there ! :D :D

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby blues-brewer » April 16th, 2013, 2:25 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that the entry for this trail on the Trail Guide has been revised with the help of Webmaster Steve. Thanks buddy !
Updated trail section descriptions, points of interest on the map (including trailhead locations), a new GPS map route from our trail buddy James and
if you zoom in on the red extention of trail on the upper right hand area you will see a very interesting shape that just strangely happened that way.

With all the rain we got last week and more predicted this week, I'm sure the trail surface won't be ready for primetime riding, so please wait a little
longer before riding it so the trail dirt will be nice and rut free for the rest of riding season.

Also, don't forget to check the posting on the General section for info on the June 1st 5th anniversary trail celebration, hope to see you there ! :D :D

Where can I find the new updated descriptions and GPS map? Thanks! Was hoping to get out today, but from the sounds of it, the trail is probably a little too soft. Don't want to create *beep* for the rest of the season! Suppose I can wait a little while longer!
You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding!
blues-brewer

Postby hexen » April 16th, 2013, 5:00 pm

hexen

Postby guidobri » April 22nd, 2013, 12:22 pm

Any news on trail conditions as of today?
RIDE GIANTS
guidobri

Postby opjames » April 22nd, 2013, 12:45 pm

guidobri wrote:Any news on trail conditions as of today?

Most of trail was underwater just a few days ago, so there is still lots of mud and standing water. It's definitely NOT ready. There are a few trees down, but we are leaving them until the trail is ready. Maybe leaving the trees will deter the use until it's ready. A few bikers have left deep ruts from riding it the last few days...not cool!

Gary and Rich are currently still working on the new bridge over two massive downed trees near Lilley Rd., plus the alternate go around.

If you need to get in some riding, I suggest the gravel pathway or some of the other trails that shed water better (eg, Hickory Glen).

Thanks for inquiring instead of attempting to ride it.
Assistant Trail Coordinator for Morton-Taylor Mountain Bike Trail
https://www.facebook.com/MortonTaylorMountainBikeTrails
opjames

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 24th, 2013, 9:55 am

First of all, I think it's fantastic that Tree Fort and Sweet Bikes (2-5pm) are going to have a demo bike day at Morton~Taylor on Sunday, May 5th.
I am all for it and I hope that many people and potential riders show up and that the weather is nice.

BUT, with all this spring rain that we've been experiencing and the nature of the clay based soil that most of the trail is built on, I have some serious
concerns about having so many people on bikes that they don't care about getting dirty tearing up the muddy top surface of this singletrack. Unless it
suddenly gets sunny, warm and dry in the next week, I don't see this trail being ready for prime time riding yet and would suggest that test riders use
the 4 miles of gravel paths to test ride the bikes. The only section that MIGHT be ready would be the East loop and I couldn't confirm that until the day of.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby guidobri » April 24th, 2013, 2:00 pm

I was unaware of the demo that will be going on. Thanks for the heads up, and If I make it I will try and veer other riders off the muddy trail. One man can only do so much though, so the more the better.
RIDE GIANTS
guidobri

Postby mountainbikemike » April 25th, 2013, 8:10 am

WHAT?1? Demo days at Morty? Holy *beep* mushrooms, Morty really has come into its own! Knowing Tree Fort they'll bring some Fat bikes to demo so maybe they can handle the mud.
I'll def be there and encourage whoever I know to show as well.
mountainbikemike

Postby guidobri » May 1st, 2013, 12:54 pm

Any good news as far as trail conditions go? Was thinking about dropping by, think its good to ride?
RIDE GIANTS
guidobri

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments