Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby lamarvenoy » August 13th, 2011, 11:15 am

I was out there this morning, rode the east loop a few times. This was only my second time out to the trails after discovering them last week. Big thanks for getting that tree removed so quickly. That loop is some major fun.

Is there a way to string 2 or 3 of the trails together with minimum riding on the gravel paths? I was going from the east loop entrance off of morton taylor down to where it ends at lilley, then back around onto crooked vulture. Is there another trail that I can throw in there thats close?
lamarvenoy

Postby ibisman » August 13th, 2011, 3:22 pm

They all hook together without gravel trails for around 5 miles or so. When you come out to the power lines and go down the hill hang a right turn and go up the hill and into the woods and ride west. All the other loops are one after another.I can show you sometime if you want. let me know. Dave
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Econ Recon » August 13th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Being new to the area and all, I was wondering: About how long does it usually take for the trails to dry up enough to ride after a rain like tonight's?
Econ Recon

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 13th, 2011, 11:07 pm

A big thanks go out to Rich, James, loosecannondale and son for clearing that big stupid oak so quickly. Looks like it took out another section of fence that will never be repaired, eh ? James, I loved your description of the mosquitoes feeding habits, funny yet real stuff. Econ, certain areas of the trail suffer from the river overflow and it always bums me out when we get a really bad storm like that because of this effect. As far as how quickly it dries out afterwards really depends upon the weather following said storm. The East and West loops tend to dry out rather quickly, but the Lucky Dawg and Buckshaver sections sit in lower areas, so it takes longer for the residual water to dry up. Like Dave said, you can hook sections together without having to use much of the gravel paths, we built most of the trail to avoid the wet stuff, but due to the nature of the Rouge River's nasty habits, some sections are prone to water overflow. Unavoidable.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby lamarvenoy » August 14th, 2011, 9:16 pm

ibisman wrote:They all hook together without gravel trails for around 5 miles or so. When you come out to the power lines and go down the hill hang a right turn and go up the hill and into the woods and ride west. All the other loops are one after another.I can show you sometime if you want. let me know. Dave

Yeah that would be awesome. I've only been out there twice. the first time I could barely figure out where all the trails where, the second time I had a revelation and started to string some things together but not without riding on the gravel trails more than I'd like.
lamarvenoy

Postby mmrobertson69 » August 19th, 2011, 10:18 am

Gonna head out there this evening around 5:30. Hope its not too wet.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 19th, 2011, 11:20 am

Mike, post a report after your ride. I would like to know what condition Lucky Dawg and Buck Shaver are in and
if there are any trees down. I also have plans on building a new wood bridge on LD soon and it needs to be dry.
Have a good ride !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby opjames » August 19th, 2011, 10:12 pm

I got in a quick lap before dark tonight.
Buckshaver was dry, but had one small tree that fell adjacent to the trail, partially blocking it. I cut back some poison ivy that was wrapped around the tree and cleared a sapling that was bent across the trail. It is negotiable now, until someone can get a chainsaw to remove it completely. Again, it is loaded with poison ivy, so I would strongly advise against trying to move it without good gloves and some help.
Lucky Dawg was a little muddy in the normal spots, but rideable. Rich was working when I rode through and he managed to remove a tree that was across the trail. He also fixed the washed out log pile at the base of the ridge, it rides nice now.
The rest of the trail was dry and clear. Although, the beginning of the Wetlands is pretty overgrown. Beware of the pickers from the white teasel leaning into the trail at knuckle height.
opjames

Postby mmrobertson69 » August 20th, 2011, 8:16 am

You beat me to the report, James! Rode 1 loop yesterday about 530ish then had to go to a friend's house to imbibe.
Thanks to Rick for fixing those two spots; had a almost close call on the log pile below the ridge.
I may come out with my machete to take care of the teasel and thistle on wetlands. I skipped it yesterday because it was tearing me up so bad.
Overall I'd say the trail is in great shape.
-Mike
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 8/22/2011

Postby ibisman » August 22nd, 2011, 1:42 pm

Did a couple laps this morning and trail was nice. The wet lands is really grown over though. The good thing is the wild canaries live the seeds from the plants and there were hundreds especially by the powerline towers on crooked vulture.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 23rd, 2011, 11:24 am

This time of the year is great for seeing that - the hundreds of golden finches dining on all the purple thistle plants flying up in small flocks as you ride through that area under the ITC powerline. Very cool visual indeed :D

The North Wetlands area is also good for this. I usually trim that loop with a lawnmower, sounds like it''s time to do it again ?

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby jwhitey » August 25th, 2011, 7:33 am

I'm thinking about bringing my bike to work and then getting out to MT today. Any of you guys know it this afternoon it will be fit for a ride?
jwhitey

Postby jwhitey » August 25th, 2011, 8:11 pm

It was pretty good. A little wet on the west loop and slimy spots here and there. No trees down. Did all but the wetlands loop. I was planning to do it on the second lap but a derailleur cable snapped at Lilly rd. I went home and fixed it instead of grinding out another lap on the single speed.
jwhitey

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » September 1st, 2011, 6:23 am

Last minute I know, but I was thinking about heading out there tonight (9/1) and could meet people at the trailhead parking lot at 5pm if you are interested. Do the usual complete lap or two and maybe have some cold brews afterwards ?

Good way to kick off the Labor Day weekend ! :D

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby jwhitey » September 1st, 2011, 6:48 am

I would but have hockey practice at 6:00.
jwhitey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions