Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 27th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Most of the trail in all the loops is still quite soft and pretty muddy in spots, it's still going to be at least a week or two before it is ready for riding. Two large trees down on the west loop that will be cut out very soon.

Thanks to the webmasters for setting up this trail conditions section !

SC
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby jasonhelle » April 16th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I attempted to hike it this afternoon, but it was still very sloppy. I turned around pretty quick. I can't wait until this dries up, because it's right by my house.
jasonhelle

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 19th, 2009, 10:15 am

are these the trails in canton? i herd there was some trails off of michigan ave so i decided to go find them yesterday as i live in canton. These trails are not even ridable!!! lol i mean the single track is going to be sooooo sweet when its finished, some of the best single track ever, but that area is just a swamp!!! and so confusing trying to find where the trail starts and ends, idk i got lost like three times out there, and it was way to wet to ride.
TEAMBAMF

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » May 1st, 2009, 2:37 pm

Yes, these are the Canton trails. Yes, due to the combination of all this rain we've been getting and this being a difficult area to dry up, some of the singletrack is still quite muddy. It is usually dry and good to ride by now, it is bumming me out as well, but in the summer the whole system stays dry and hardpacked. Look for the trailhead signs.

The first step in not getting lost is to go to the Trail Guide and print off the third map (soon to be updated) on the list and bring it with you. This system is not a large loop like many in the state parks, but out and backs until the five bridges go in this summer which will allow you to link the various sections together more easily. Come back and try it again in a couple of weeks when the sun comes out for more than a day or two at a time and ride it again !

SC
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby scat silvurz » May 1st, 2009, 3:37 pm

Any proposed plans to put trail in the woodsy areas where the 5 bridges will soon be built? Seems like there's a lot of potential there, but access is impossible without those bridges....
scat silvurz

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » May 1st, 2009, 6:42 pm

Scat, yes, I have plans on cutting trail in the sections east and west of the new bridges, especially the area west of Sheldon road where if you look at the map, is the largest area of woods for singletrack adventures. The best looking area for such things further east is still under development and will take some more waiting until it can be scouted.

I just started cutting a section that will lead to the future Sheldon bridge and after it's installed, I will start scouting the new possibilities of new singletrack (probably late summer/fall). From what I hear from the township, the terrain is more knarly which is perfect for more technical trail ! For the time being though, as soon as things dry out, check out all the work I've done over the winter, I think you will like what you find ! There are a few new sections to explore.

SC
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby TEAMBAMF » May 2nd, 2009, 8:25 am

oh alright, ill check it out later in the summer. The maps that were posted around the park are sooo confusing, there is soo many trails and paths.
TEAMBAMF

Postby bleve » June 14th, 2009, 8:57 am

Stopped by yesterday when I was down in the area and I agree that it is very confusing for a first timer but you can definately see the potential. There were several still muddy / slick areas. On the "west/north" connector I think it was, I swear I had to ride staring down at the deer tracks to not to eat all the branches. I was glad when I came back out on a paved path as I didn't want to have to ride it back if it dead ended.

Canton PD was protecting my car in the parking lot when I came out so that was a bonus (either that or I got called in as suspicious by the one walker I passed).
bleve

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 14th, 2009, 10:09 pm

bleve,
(no pun intended & sorry about the overgrowth), but can you believe that that area was 20 feet of cleared path just two months ago ? The May rains made this area sprout green stuff like I have never seen in the two years I've been out there. I rode out there about 3 weeks ago and could not imagine that the weeds and trees would have taken over like they did ! I have been doing my best to battle it back and make it ridable, but that is one area that I haven't gotten to.

For the time being, ride the West, East and South sections as those are freshly trimmed and ready to go and I am organizing a Canton Trail Day (mostly Canton residents that ride the trails and have an investment in the system)
on next Saturday, so there will be some more improvements. So, next time, print the map off the trail guide and come on back out and try it again, it will only get better with more use.

SC
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby scat silvurz » June 14th, 2009, 11:28 pm

any news on the pedestrian bridges going in this year?
scat silvurz

Postby TEAMBAMF » June 16th, 2009, 10:46 am

pleeeaasee let me know when that trail day is, i want to find out how to use that trail, and its one of my home trails so id like to be apart of a trail day there.
TEAMBAMF

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 16th, 2009, 11:02 am

Scat, the pedestrian bridges are supposed to be going in between now and mid-July, I haven't been to a township trail meeting in a while, but I am assuming that hasn't changed. It will make it much easier to cross the Rouge after that.

TEAMBAMF, the next trail day is this coming Saturday the 20th. We are meeting in the main parking lot @ 9am.
Hope to see you there, get a chance to talk with you and put you to work ! Come on out and help make it better !
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby fizgig » June 16th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I was going to check these trails out, I'm a novice rider, should I stay away, or is it just the new areas?
fizgig

Postby TEAMBAMF » June 16th, 2009, 10:11 pm

from the small section of trail i rode, it seemed to be more fun and technical than hard climbs, so if your new to this sport it would be a fun trail to ride, then again its really confusing, maybury is a really great course, and its not too far from this area, thats the trail i normally ride.
TEAMBAMF

Postby TEAMBAMF » June 16th, 2009, 10:12 pm

oh and as long as im not working, i will be there.
TEAMBAMF

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments