CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby jer091 » July 22nd, 2013, 9:09 pm

Clinton River Park Trail update......

jer091

Postby bergsteiger » July 23rd, 2013, 9:49 am

well it at least looks no good for kayaking any more.
bergsteiger

Postby INEVTBL » August 3rd, 2013, 3:19 pm

Any new update on trail conditions ? Thanks.
2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro... 2013 Trek X/Caliber
2013 Salsa Mukluk 2..................1985 Haro Master Chrome/Flo-Green/White
2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite.........1987 Redline RL 20II California Red
INEVTBL

Postby 2slo2endo » August 5th, 2013, 7:43 am

Checked out the trailhead under M-53 expressway, still muddy, checked across from the Dodge Park Bridge - Muddy. Rode from the Berms all the way to the drop into the sinkholes and Big Skinny - Mud Pit. Gave up and rode pavement again.

For location Info Requested Above -
There is a trailhead on Edison Street - take Clinton River Rd just west of Schoenherr - Left on the street under the Power Lines.
Ride down the paved trail (keep right). There is a Kiosk and a Bench at the trailhead.

The MMBA site had all kinds of trail maps and Info available, there is a link on the main Site - left column - Trail Guide.
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » August 5th, 2013, 7:50 am

It's going to take weeks of little or no rain and some hot weather for it to dry out this year :( .
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby utabintarbo » August 5th, 2013, 8:16 am

Mack wrote:It's going to take weeks of little or no rain and some hot weather for it to dry out this year :( .

Looking forward to Winter! :P
utabintarbo

Postby lawn dart » August 5th, 2013, 10:23 am

INEVTBL wrote:Any new update on trail conditions ? Thanks.

We were going to do CRPT over the weekend...

...but the canoe rental shop was closed
lawn dart

Postby Sortaslow » August 5th, 2013, 6:54 pm

lawn dart wrote:
INEVTBL wrote:Any new update on trail conditions ? Thanks.

We were going to do CRPT over the weekend...

...but the canoe rental shop was closed

Why would you want a canoe? It's been big boat worthy all summer!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

Postby Roy » August 5th, 2013, 7:31 pm

WAIT FOR FREZE UP!
Roy

Postby INEVTBL » August 5th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Okay I rode the trail both directions end to end from the kiosk to the M53 bridge and back on my Mukluk here are my observations.... In no particular order.

1. I would not ride it right now on anything but a fatbike and only if you know what to ride and what to walk.
2. Suprisingly alot of the trail is either dry or tacky. The spots that are muddy are very muddy.
3. There must be alot of people riding the trail because they are forming lines around the mud.
4. The muddy spots are VERY pizza cut.
5. There are a few trees down and a couple of widowmakers.
6. The trail is becoming very overgrown in spots.
7. There is alot of broken glass at the crane.
8. The transition from the dirt to almost all of the wooden brides is gone.(from the shortest to the longest)
9. There are some logs blocking the entrance to the trail at the kiosk ,not sure if they were put there on purpose but people have formed a trail around them.
10. Once you enter the trail at the kiosk and make a few turns the flood has washed away the easily recognizable trail path, unless you are familiar with it.
11. I ride this trail alot since it is my home trail so to speak (closest to me) and I could not believe how unrecognizable some parts of the trail were. Not the trail itself but what is to your left and right. The flooding has killed alot of the ground vegetation and there are logs/branches/twigs/leaves/and debris everywhere. :(
12. The berms in the switchback section have shrunken and become very gravely. ( is that even a word ??? Lol )

I took a bunch of pictures of the trail if anyone wants them or thinks I should post them here... let me know.
I really hope it stops raining so much since this is such a great trail in the middle of the city and my go to trail to ride before work,after work,weekdays,weekends,night riding,a great CRPT to River Bends loop, and I almost forgot snow riding. :D

Well I think that about somes it up. I will edit if I can think of anything else that I may have forgotten.
2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro... 2013 Trek X/Caliber
2013 Salsa Mukluk 2..................1985 Haro Master Chrome/Flo-Green/White
2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite.........1987 Redline RL 20II California Red
INEVTBL

Postby Sortaslow » August 5th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Just walked it and agree with inevtbl. I'd fatbike it. No issue with the that. The soft spots are like play dough and the damage ia already done. The muddy spots are very muddy. I was turned around on some spots as he mentioned. The trail is simply washed out and vegetation gone. Few trees down. Overall not horrible, but it will need some love and healing time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

Postby Mack » August 6th, 2013, 10:21 am

INEVTBL wrote:Okay I rode the trail both directions end to end from the kiosk to the M53 bridge and back on my Mukluk here are my observations.... In no particular order.

1. I would not ride it right now on anything but a fatbike and only if you know what to ride and what to walk.
2. Suprisingly alot of the trail is either dry or tacky. The spots that are muddy are very muddy.
3. There must be alot of people riding the trail because they are forming lines around the mud.
4. The muddy spots are VERY pizza cut.
5. There are a few trees down and a couple of widowmakers.
6. The trail is becoming very overgrown in spots.
7. There is alot of broken glass at the crane.
8. The transition from the dirt to almost all of the wooden brides is gone.(from the shortest to the longest)
9. There are some logs blocking the entrance to the trail at the kiosk ,not sure if they were put there on purpose but people have formed a trail around them.
10. Once you enter the trail at the kiosk and make a few turns the flood has washed away the easily recognizable trail path, unless you are familiar with it.
11. I ride this trail alot since it is my home trail so to speak (closest to me) and I could not believe how unrecognizable some parts of the trail were. Not the trail itself but what is to your left and right. The flooding has killed alot of the ground vegetation and there are logs/branches/twigs/leaves/and debris everywhere. :(
12. The berms in the switchback section have shrunken and become very gravely. ( is that even a word ??? Lol )

I took a bunch of pictures of the trail if anyone wants them or thinks I should post them here... let me know.
I really hope it stops raining so much since this is such a great trail in the middle of the city and my go to trail to ride before work,after work,weekdays,weekends,night riding,a great CRPT to River Bends loop, and I almost forgot snow riding. :D

Well I think that about somes it up. I will edit if I can think of anything else that I may have forgotten.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately this summers heavy rains have not been kind to CRPT. When CRPT floods, it really floods we are talking feet not inches of water. The trail in the flood plain is under 2-4+ feet of water when it floods, it is very
destructive. I'm heading out Saturday, to check things out and do some maintenance. Please if you can, when you post that there are trees down try and give as specific location as possible, pictures are even better. It saves Aaron and I valuable time
and energy, instead of having to search we can head straight for them and not have to carry 20" chainsaws the entire
trail. I will be putting more trail marking tape up in the flood plain section that is hard to follow, people remove it over time . The logs by kiosk are from the the flood, I will move them, it happens every time it floods. Im hoping to get out and trim some
of the trail this weekend, if it remains dry. The trail has flooded multiple times this year and has been unrideable quite
often, trimming at the time was not high on the priority list. Then just as I was getting ready to trim it, the CRAMBA trailer
was broken into and all of our power tools were stolen. So I will be trimming the trail by hand, this is a much slower process. A trail day is planned if it ever drys out. Again thanks for the update :icon_thumleft:.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby lawn dart » August 6th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Not to add more work for you guys, but would it be possible to place a marker of some sort that indicates the high-water peak?
I think it would be very instructional and humbling for people to recognize the changes the area goes through, and help them realize the amount of work it takes to restore the trail.
lawn dart

Postby Mack » August 6th, 2013, 1:10 pm

lawn dart wrote:Not to add more work for you guys, but would it be possible to place a marker of some sort that indicates the high-water peak?
I think it would be very instructional and humbling for people to recognize the changes the area goes through, and help them realize the amount of work it takes to restore the trail.

Hmm... that is a interesting idea, one I will have to give some thought to. The problem with the trail is it gets soo much
use from people who are casual users and some who just don't care. I have seen people riding that trail when there is 6" of
water on it. I educate them on how bad it is for the trail, and how much work it takes to get it back to the way it was, and all I get is shoulder shrugs from some. Some of them seem to care and understand.....but then I see them on the trail after the next big rain riding in the mud. I will never stop trying to educate, as it does help with the people who do care and appreciate
the work that goes into maintaining the trail.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » August 8th, 2013, 7:53 am

I'm heading out Saturday to do some work on the trail. If anyone knows the location of the trees that
are down, would you please post up where they are. This will allow me to go straight to the deadfalls,
get them cut out, and move on to the list of things I have planned to do. Thanks
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments