CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby Mack » August 15th, 2011, 5:27 pm

I finished hanging the new signage on the north end of the trail this morning. The south end had been done last week. I would like to thank the Metro North Chapter / CRAMBA for funding this project THANK YOU!! The new signs are ready to go. The bad news is the trail's not still wet and muddy, should be dry by the weekend I hope. Here are some pics of the new signs.

close up

one more

I seen this HOT lady out walking this morning if she doesn't get your blood flowing nothing will. :D
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby c0nsumer » August 15th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Those look really good. Hopefully the vandals/kids don't bring ladders.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Mack » August 15th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Have not had any issues yet the signs in the south end have been up a week. the north end signs were hung a bit higher just in case. Hung a couple on the trail posts at a asphalt crossing in the north end out of curiosity to see what will happen. Rigged em with surprise for the little *beep*, a trick I learned in Cali. :lol:
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby buckeyefan58 » August 17th, 2011, 9:44 am

Rigged em with surprise for the little *beep*, a trick I learned in Cali. :lol:

You have spiked my curiosity.
buckeyefan58

Postby buckeyefan58 » August 19th, 2011, 8:34 am

Still too wet to ride?
buckeyefan58

Postby Mack » August 19th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Bummer, but figured as such. The ground in that area is so saturated the water can't drain. It may take awhile. Just too much rain to really ever dry out properly. It's a water weekend (Leland) for the wife and I. May the fish gods bless us. Hopefully lot of salmon. Monday I will get back there and check it out.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby buster » August 19th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Nice work on the trial! Having grown up in Sterling Heights area I was shocked to hear we had a single track in our back yard. I rode it Tuesday and while muddy was overall a good time. I was debating weather to park at Edison Ct. or at Dodge Park. For those wondering you can do either. I parked at Dodge Park and rode the pavement to the trail head. However once on the trail I found the section where the dodge park bridge is and noted it for future riding. Being a "two-way" trail you can really pick it up any place and ride it back and forth.

There is a down tree at the path that leads to Petros Ct.

On another note any one know the history behind the abandoned construction equipment in the woods? How long has it been there? How did it get there? Was a little shocked to come about it.

Great work on the trail! I hope you can find the room to make it a loop, kind of scary running into someone on the bridges..
buster

Postby Mack » August 20th, 2011, 10:41 am

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the trail. If it ever drys out we have some other projects planned. As for the crane I do not know how long it been there I would say 50's, but that's just a guess. I do know what it was used for that area was used as dumping grounds for all kinds of things. They would dig holes then put stuff in the holes and bury it. Then the DEQ came to exist, they thought hmmm.... we probably shouldn't be dumping all these things in a flood plain daaa.....ya think. They then abandoned that crane and other things back there. Actually there are a quite a few of these dumping grounds in S.E. Michigan. Back then they just didn't know better or care don't know which one. heck there is one in Lake St. Clair out from the Det. River thats marked with bouy's that's called "The Dumping Grounds" great spot to fish.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby bh357 » August 27th, 2011, 7:43 am

Rode Clinton River/Dodge Park for the first time yesterday evening, one time in each direction. It seemed to flow very well both directions, maybe slightly better heading from Edison Road. Quite flat, but this trail makes good use of what terrain there is out there.
Really liked the little "pump track" section.

A few spots of mud, but my legs were much cleaner afterwards than they were from yesterday's ride which included Bald Mountain North.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby R!ck » August 27th, 2011, 8:22 am

Rode the trail all the way for the first time today. I had tried a month or so ago but the south end was completely flooded and I got lost in the southern swamps. Thanks for the new signs and a fun ride.

I didn't see anyone else on the MB trail this morning, 7:45-8:45. I'll try to talk it up and bring friends next time.

CONDITION: Good. Just a tiny bit of mud, but nothing you can't avoid easily.
R!ck

Postby 2slo2endo » August 27th, 2011, 8:43 am

The crane was there in the when I was a teenager, used to have to walk over a collapsed bridge to get there... good times. I can't wait to ride the trail today it was unrideable before I went up north this week!
2slo2endo

Postby dirt » August 27th, 2011, 10:11 am

pmcallister wrote:there is one in Lake St. Clair out from the Det. River thats marked with bouy's that's called "The Dumping Grounds" great spot to fish.

My understanding is that "The Dumping Grounds" in LSC is where the the rock that was blasted out of the Detroit River was put, back when they were dredging out the shipping channel. Much of the Detroit River bottom is rocky, so they had to blast it deeper and dump the rubble, and The Dumping Ground, is where they dumped it. The large piles of loose, blasted rock makes a great fish habitat.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby 2slo2endo » August 27th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Cool, never knew how the dumping ground came from. Rode the trail today with my son... still a few very muddy spots, tried not to impact the trail by getting off and walking around those spots...
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » August 27th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Nick you are correct there are large piles of rocks out there and yes they did dump the dredgings from the Detroit River there the rest of dredgings are what we know as Seaway Island and Gull Island. The original name was the Grosspoint dumping ground and dates back to 1874 (that's the original spelling of Grosse Pointe).There's also cars,rolls of steel,spools of cable,doors,windows,boats,tires,bricks etc... I started diving that area 20 yrs ago. We were always amazed at what we would come across. The one thing we never found and we have been told is out there was human remains :shock: . Back in the day when the lake was iced over late in the winter they would take all kinds of things out there and leave it till ice out. They would also do night dumps in the summer when they did not want anyone seeing what they were dumping. That kind of clandestine "dumping" went on for years and i'm told stilll does.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby buster » August 28th, 2011, 6:30 am

Where is this on the map? Anyone have GPS coordinates or a map with an arrow point to it?
buster

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions