CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby buckeyefan58 » July 27th, 2011, 3:47 pm

You do some impressive work.
buckeyefan58

Postby Mack » July 28th, 2011, 9:13 am

Thanks :D I do enjoy it. I have been building trails for almost 30 yrs. I started with the MCCC (Michigan Cycle Conservation Club) cutting the MCCCT (Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail) which was big fun and a he!! of alot eaiser then building mtb trails. You rode around with a topo map,compass,trail markers,hammer,nails and chainsaw mounted to your bike. You marked the trail cut out trees that were in the way and the bikes took care of the rest. No raking the trail, building crib walls, bench cutting, backsloping all that fun stuff more manual labor involved in building MTB trails for sure. I got into mtbing through friends in Cali and Mi. Then I wanted to learn how to build mtb trails because I was told it was a different process. Our friends in Cali told me about this organization called IMBA and that they had trail building classes you could attend. Cali here we come, planned 2 vactions around those IMBA trail building schools. The rest is ancient history. Wow this on dragged on. later
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby Mack » July 29th, 2011, 12:43 pm

What a difference a couple days make. I know this goes without saying but CRPT IS CLOSED. Unless you want to kayak it then go right ahead. For how long is hard to say at this point. From what I could tell this morning it looks to be that 75-80% of the park is under 2-3+ feet of water in spots. I'm not even sure the river has crested yet :shock:. This is the worst year I have seen for this trail in all the years I have been riding it. The wet spring kept most of it unrideable, finally dried out and now this. Mother nature is indeed a destructive cruel hearted b!t@h. If you ever wondered what close to 8 inches of rain in 2 days look like here are some pics from this morning going south to north.

This is at the Edison ct. trail head. That #1 path marker is 4ft tall.

By the Parks & Rec HQ (sorry for pic quality mozzies were bad in this area)

Heading towards the crane.

This is where the trail crosses by the soccer field. Notice the trail post on the left the bottom of it is 1 1/2 ft underwater. The water was rushing over the asphalt so fast it was creating a small rapids right there on the other side. The thought of kayaking it did enter my mind for just a secound.

The bridge coming down from the north ridges. That bridge is about 4ft up from the creek bottom.

With so much of the park being underwater the deer have headed for high ground. I usually find them in the thick stuff in the middle of the park this is the dirt road off of the Riverland Rd entrance. This doe and her two young fawns (still had their spots) walked back and forth wanting to cross but never did they went up that ridge behind them.
Last edited by Mack on July 29th, 2011, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby c0nsumer » July 29th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Will you be needing stilts in order to hang signs?
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Mack » July 29th, 2011, 12:55 pm

I will just canoe it instead 2-3 of water i'm pretty close to 6ft, stand up in it and ya got 8ft perfect height just what we talked about. You wanna paddle and ill hang em. :lol:
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby buckeyefan58 » August 1st, 2011, 11:12 am

How is the trail? I got a clean bill of health from the doctor on my broken hand and want to get out there.
buckeyefan58

Postby c0nsumer » August 1st, 2011, 11:24 am

buckeyefan58 wrote:How is the trail? I got a clean bill of health from the doctor on my broken hand and want to get out there.

As of yesterday at this time it was unridable. There's some sizable (but ridable) puddles on the pavement along with a fair bit of snotty mud. The single track itself still looks to be mostly under water.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Mack » August 1st, 2011, 11:36 am

CRPT IS CLOSED. probably for another week, by the looks of things this morning.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby buckeyefan58 » August 1st, 2011, 11:42 am

Darn...may have to run up to Riverbends. Thanks for the feedback
buckeyefan58

Postby c0nsumer » August 1st, 2011, 11:44 am

buckeyefan58 wrote:Darn...may have to run up to Riverbends. Thanks for the feedback

The floodplain part of the seasonal loops are still very wet, but everything else is great.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby mkow1234 » August 4th, 2011, 10:17 am

Has anybody been on the Dodge Park Trail today (Thursday, August 4th)?
I would like to go after work, and I am wondering how wet/submerged the singletrack is.
Thanks.
mkow1234

Postby buckeyefan58 » August 6th, 2011, 11:13 am

Went for my first ride in about 6 weeks this morning. Most of the trail is in good shape. The area around the crane has a lot of wet spots as does the area just before rhythm section. The area just north of the log jump is a little slow as is the low area at the trail head. The rest of the trail is firm and rather fast. A couple more days without rain and the trail will be perfect.
buckeyefan58

Postby Mack » August 7th, 2011, 11:22 am

With the rain we had Sunday CRPT is back to being CLOSED parts are under water and very wet and muddy. Please don't ride the trail give it 4-5 days to dry out thanks. This has been a very frustrating year so far :( . Aaron has orderd some benches and a bike rack for the trailhead, they should be here in 3-4 weeks. A 50+ ft bridge is also planned for the low area as you enter the "humps" which is always a problem when we get a hard rain, it will solve that problem. Probably this fall IF it ever drys out enough and stays dry.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby 2slo2endo » August 9th, 2011, 11:20 am

This has been a rough year for this trail alright, I thought we were going to get a drought at one time. Boy was I wrong...if it wouldn't make for a bumpy ride, we could start piling up deadfall to raise the trail's low spots, God knows there is enough of it out there. Anyway, if you do any maintenance on a weekend let me know - I will be glad to help.
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » August 9th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Thanks for the offer. The trail has to dry out first to do any maintenance. There are a few things in the planing but not till the fall when it cools off and the mozzies are not quite so plentiful. I will post the date when I know them.
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions