CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby buckeyefan58 » July 22nd, 2011, 7:55 pm

I was thinking the same but was giving him the benefit of the doubt. With the crotch cam it looks like he is staying in the sandle the entire time. Nothing worse than sitting on a camera....and catching it on "film". Seriously, the trail looks great. I haven't been able to ride it yet this year as I broke my hand about a month ago and the trail was too wet before then. I am itching to get out which is how I found that video. I hope to get out to CRPT and RB in a few weeks. RB looks like it has improved a ton since last year.
buckeyefan58

Postby i69whitey » July 23rd, 2011, 8:55 pm

buckeyefan58 wrote:found a POV video posted of the southern half of the trail (not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBxEaQlcKU

their home grown topcap really makes me miss my broken bike
looked just like my *beep* from that POV

nice smooth footage, thanks
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby Mack » July 25th, 2011, 5:27 pm

killendino glad you enjoyed the trail. That section of trail is currently under construction. That's why I put the orange flags there to give everybody sort of a heads up that something is going on, as there are not usually orange flags in that area. That loose dirt you mentioned is not so much dirt as it is a vein of sand that runs through that section. Which is the whole issue in that turn. That turn kept eroding away because of that darn sand. That is the reason I put the tread level crib wall there is to keep the soil in place. Today I bench cut the entire turn, scraped it down to the hardeest soil I could find and slightly altered the way you enter and exit that turn in hopes of curing the problem. If this dosn't work I have already walked the planned reroute.

here are a couple pictures of the new bench cut section.

Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby 2slo2endo » July 25th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Yeah, that's me with the POS bike, and the crotch cam (actually a chesty), and I am slower than s**t, and yep, I have no technique... thought the postings might be useful for you guys to describe parts of the trail though... here is part 1 with part 2 together...
Part1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBxEaQlcKU.
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SY7sFeHFrg.
I don't have much hope of getting much faster, but watch if it's useful. I am hoping to capture Riverbends sometime soon. Sometimes a name is really accurate huh? Any tips on technique WILL be appreciated...
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » July 25th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Thanks again for posting part 2. Yes it did help already sent it to another TC to show him a spot that needed some repair. No harm was meant.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby c0nsumer » July 25th, 2011, 7:25 pm

pmcallister wrote:here are a couple pictures of the new bench cut section.

Looks really nice, but don't forget the backslope.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby PK » July 25th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Tip #1 on gaining riding skills/technique: Ride more.
Tip #2......See tip #1.

Just enjoy the ride and don't forget....The best bike in the world is the one you're riding...

Pete.
Last edited by PK on July 26th, 2011, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PK

Postby 2slo2endo » July 26th, 2011, 6:38 am

No offense was taken, so don't worry about that.. Truth is truth :>) I'll get better as I go, maybe not faster, but better...
2slo2endo

Postby buckeyefan58 » July 26th, 2011, 8:33 am

Yeah, thanks for posting the videos. As I said earlier, I haven't been out riding much this year and haven't been to CRPT at all. I saw earlier in the forum that someone moved a log pile and it was filled in with dirt as the fix, but I wasn't sure if it was the pile I was thinking of. The video showed me that it was. I am kind of bummed that that pile has changed. That was one of the more challenging features on CRPT. It looks like it is basically a dirt jump now??
buckeyefan58

Postby Mack » July 26th, 2011, 11:54 am

Rode CRPT this morning tree fell over in the south ridges the good thing it fell the right way. I should be able to take enough off the bottom of the root ball and won't have to make a reroute. You can ride carefully around it now, I marked it with a peice of orange tape. Yup still need to cut the backslope ran out of time and energy. I am the person who rebuilt the log pile. All the logs are still there just reinforced with dirt. I was tired of rebuilding it because somebody kept removing logs from the backside which made it very dangerous. Most of dirt will slowly wash away I noticed this morning some already has from that hard rain we had the Sunday. The dirt that remains will reinforce the pile and I hope deter the person/s from doing this again. Because if you looked that post you already know what will happen if it is done again. :evil:
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Haley » July 26th, 2011, 6:52 pm

I just rode the Clinton RIver Park Trail for the first time this morning & had a blast. Pmcallister you have done an excellent job there. Very cool & challenging trail.
Haley

Postby Trail_Warrior » July 27th, 2011, 7:48 am

Was out on CRPT Monday evening, it's coming together very nice out there just which there were some more elevation changes in the area. But am I the only one who's encountered some very aggressive hornets/wasps out there?
Trail_Warrior

Postby Mack » July 27th, 2011, 8:56 am

Haley glad you enjoyed the trail it is a fun trail!! Your kind words are much appreciated :D :D . The person we really need to thank is Aaron Burgess, if it wasn't for his hard work on and off the trail we would not have this great trail to ride. Aaron is the person who was responsiblie for getting the city of Sterling Heights to say yes to letting MMBA come in and build a trail in the park. This was not an easy task either it took him a couple of years. There were policy makers within the city who thought this park was their's and did not want us in THEIR park. This is why I am always asking you who ride this trail to slow down, say "hi" and be polite to other trail users. Aaron went to great effort for us to be able to have this trail, and through his ongoing efforts he has commitments for almost $6000.00 for improvements (bridges,benches,etc..) for the trail and the park from various organizations in the community. Aaron your MY hero :icon_thumleft:. Other news we will have trail signage soon, like that at River Bends. Thanks to the Metro North Chapter soon to be CRAMBA who have agreed to fund it for us. The signs have been ordered and will be up in the near future.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » July 27th, 2011, 9:26 am

Thanks Trail_Warrior. It's hard to get elevation change in an area that is relatively flat. The real only elevation changes are in the north and south ridges and it's very difficult to build trail that is sustainable on those sharp inclines most of which 45 degrees or more. That kind of incline requires massive bench cuts that require machinery like a Ditch Witch to build a trail that will last and be sustainable. Then if you go to far down the side you have to deal with the flood plain and that is not fun. We are still dealing with low areas that need bridges and fill. Sorry it's Just not practical at this time. I have not run into agressive wasps on the trail, dated one for abit many years ago stuck up b!t@h couldn't get along with anybody had to put her to the curb. I'm out there alot where abouts did you run into them?
Last edited by Mack on July 28th, 2011, 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » July 27th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Well instead of going for my morning ride, I decided to work on the section where the tree fell and the root ball was in the trail. I wanted to get it done before the heat,humidity and rain came back to town. Actually it came out great all the soil that I had to take off the root ball to get to the roots was a dirt/clay mixture. I was able to spread it out to make a tread and cover most of the roots in that area. Here are a couple pics.

Before

After
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions