CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby 2slo2endo » January 29th, 2013, 1:51 pm

I rode Sunday morning, great conditions... that last tree can stay in place as desired, but I will never try to bunny hop anything over 1.5 feet again... shudder :roll:
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » January 29th, 2013, 4:45 pm

2slo2endo wrote:I rode Sunday morning, great conditions... that last tree can stay in place as desired, but I will never try to bunny hop anything over 1.5 feet again... shudder :roll:

That had to hurt! With this rain we are having my guess is CRPT will flood. My hope is the river will recede by this weekend,
so I can get those deadfalls removed. That last one is it in the new section, or down in the flood plain section heading to the crane?
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby FLIPMODES » January 29th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Mack wrote: My hope is the river will recede by this weekend, so I can get those deadfalls removed. That last one is it in the new section, or down in the flood plain section heading to the crane?

I plan on heading out there Sunday if the conditions are right. If you need help let me know. :icon_thumleft:
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby Roy » January 30th, 2013, 8:18 am

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=dtx
click on the souther gage near Mt. Clemens. This gage is located downstream to the Garfield Bridge.
High water is projected to remain.
Check the above Government weather web site, as the actual water height could change from the current projection.
The Gage is down stream to the bridge at Garfield. The Bridge at Hayes tends to act a dam, so it takes longer for water to drain upstream of this bridge.
Water levels on the dirt trail lag behind the gage at Garfield when the river is dropping. This lag time is hard to determine.
Even after the river water level drops back below the top of the banks, the dirt trail still draining.
If water is draining over the blacktop at the east end near the long wood bridge, a lot of the dirt trail will be under water. This low spot is within eye site of the long wood bridge.
The blacktop trail might be rideable on Sunday.
It would be best to ride the black top only.

Roy
Roy

Postby Mack » January 30th, 2013, 8:56 am

Roy wrote:http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=dtx
click on the souther gage near Mt. Clemens. This gage is located downstream to the Garfield Bridge.
High water is projected to remain.
Check the above Government weather web site, as the actual water height could change from the current projection.
The Gage is down stream to the bridge at Garfield. The Bridge at Hayes tends to act a dam, so it takes longer for water to drain upstream of this bridge.
Water levels on the dirt trail lag behind the gage at Garfield when the river is dropping. This lag time is hard to determine.
Even after the river water level drops back below the top of the banks, the dirt trail still draining.
If water is draining over the blacktop at the east end near the long wood bridge, a lot of the dirt trail will be under water. This low spot is within eye site of the long wood bridge.
The blacktop trail might be rideable on Sunday.
It would be best to ride the black top only.

Roy

Interesting site Roy, I saved it for future use. Or I could just drive over there Saturday morning as planned and check out the
conditions :wink: . I would have to say that CRPT is CLOSED. Even if the trail is not flooded, with all the rain we are having, it will be a muddy mess. Please don't ride it.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby UselessPickles » January 30th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Mack wrote:
2slo2endo wrote:That last one is it in the new section, or down in the flood plain section heading to the crane?

By "last one" I assume you are referring to the last one I mentioned in my post?

That one is on the trail heading toward the crane... the trail that you'd head down if you come across the river from Dodge Park on the bridge and keep going straight ahead.

Speaking of the crane... does anyone know the story of why that is there?
UselessPickles

Postby Mack » January 30th, 2013, 5:20 pm

UselessPickles wrote:
Mack wrote:
2slo2endo wrote:That last one is it in the new section, or down in the flood plain section heading to the crane?

By "last one" I assume you are referring to the last one I mentioned in my post?

That one is on the trail heading toward the crane... the trail that you'd head down if you come across the river from Dodge Park on the bridge and keep going straight ahead.

Speaking of the crane... does anyone know the story of why that is there?

Thanks, thats where I thought it was just wanted to make sure. I like to know right where they are at. Carrying a 20" chainsaw
around gets a little tiring after awhile.The Clinton River Parks were dumping grounds at on time. The crane was used to move and
bury junk. It was used before there was a D.E.Q. When they had to stop dumping they just left the crane there.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » January 31st, 2013, 9:15 am

CRPT is CLOSED due to flooding. The water is almost covering the 80' long bridge :shock: , which is over 4' off the
ground at it's highest point. So much for deadfall removal this weekend :( . Maybe the floodwaters will move them
for me :lol: .
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby utabintarbo » January 31st, 2013, 10:21 am

Mack wrote:CRPT is CLOSED due to flooding. The water is almost covering the 80' long bridge :shock: , which is over 4' off the
ground at it's highest point. So much for deadfall removal this weekend :( . Maybe the floodwaters will move them

I find this shocking. :roll:

WTF! Let's hope the receding waters don't have the deadfall beating against the bridge! :P
utabintarbo

Postby Mack » January 31st, 2013, 11:10 am

utabintarbo wrote:
Mack wrote:CRPT is CLOSED due to flooding. The water is almost covering the 80' long bridge :shock: , which is over 4' off the

I find this shocking. :roll:

WTF! Let's hope the receding waters don't have the deadfall beating against the bridge! :P

No deadfall in that area. I removed them all last fall :icon_cheers: .
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby TomE. » February 4th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Any news on if/when the trail will be ridable?
TomE.

Postby Sortaslow » February 4th, 2013, 1:54 pm

TomE. wrote:Any news on if/when the trail will be ridable?

Probably rock solid now. Probably icy too, so be careful.
Sortaslow

Postby Mack » February 4th, 2013, 3:19 pm

TomE. wrote:Any news on if/when the trail will be ridable?

I was at the park Sunday and some of the trail was still under water. The problem
now could be if that standing water freezes up, it will be there for awhile. I would
say go ahead and ride it. Be careful there is going to be icy areas.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby TomE. » February 4th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Cool and/or groovy. Thanks guys.
TomE.

Postby MCSmith » February 5th, 2013, 12:18 pm

I rode Saturday, be careful. With the thaw and rain we recently had it flooded and froze so a lot of the paved path is ice with snow on top.

The trail itself was decent considering the weather we have been having. The low parts in the MTB trail are the same way, frozen broken ice.

The area btw the two shinnies is pretty much impassable. I could not find the trail. With the flooding it had moved a lot of debris around, and something happened to the little skinny and it was lifted off the ground.

Made for a nice technical ride.
2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
2014 Trek Stache 7
MCSmith

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments