CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby matbmatt301 » December 14th, 2012, 7:56 am

Hey all,
I rode CRPT Wednesday night at dusk/dark. Only a couple of greasy spots here and there, but other than that the trail is in great shape! Berms in the switch back section allow you to carry twice as much speed. Well done and thanks for all who participated in putting those in!
matbmatt301

Postby Mack » December 14th, 2012, 8:35 am

matbmatt301 wrote:Hey all,
I rode CRPT Wednesday night at dusk/dark. Only a couple of greasy spots here and there, but other than that the trail is in great shape! Berms in the switch back section allow you to carry twice as much speed. Well done and thanks for all who participated in putting those in!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them. They do allow you to carry some nice speed through that section.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby 2slo2endo » December 28th, 2012, 10:13 am

I am itching to try riding in the snow.. I have the clothing addressed (I think), now turning my attention to the bike. Think I will switch to platform peds, for the tires... maybe I will start with pressure in the low 20's (tubless) to see if I can't avoid another purchase... I think CRPT is a great place to experiment... flat conditions sound good for a starter. Wish me luck!
2slo2endo

Postby UselessPickles » December 29th, 2012, 4:39 pm

I attempted to ride with 3 others around 11am today. We temporarily gave up about 10 feet into the singletrack at the main trailhead. There were only a couple hiker tracks on the singletrack, so it was deep and fluffy.

We continued down the paved trail (which has a nice pair of car tracks down the whole thing) until we got to the beginning of the section of singletrack that has the new bermed corners. We ended up spending quite a bit of time trying to ride through that section, then "sweeping" snow away with our front tires as we walked the trail.

Our hard work paid off, because that short section of trail is now quite rideable! We just rode that section back and forth for about an hour or two and had a great time testing the limits of traction in the packed-down snow.

For anyone who cares, I'm running tubes in 2.1 (rear) and 2.2 (front) inch wide tires. Tire pressures were 26psi rear and 24psi front, but I do only weight about 135lbs. Straight-line traction for acceleration/braking was surprizingly good.
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » December 29th, 2012, 9:56 pm

UselessPickles

Postby c0nsumer » December 29th, 2012, 10:09 pm

...now that's a fun amount of snow to ride.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby 2slo2endo » December 31st, 2012, 12:09 pm

Hey, Thanks for the update... and that berm looks cool... I have to get out there now...
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » December 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm

Those new berms are a blast. They should really be firmed up come spring.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby 2slo2endo » January 5th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Planning to test the trail tomorrow after lunch w/phil.. we will post conditions..
2slo2endo

Postby FLIPMODES » January 6th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Rode CRPT this afternoon with "2slo2endo". Trail was better than I expected it to be and also challenging. Keep in mind today was our first real attempt to ride snow covered single track. I can defiantly see how a fat bike could make a world of a difference. The berm section is in the best shape compared to the rest of the trail. Thanks "UselessPickles". :D
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby TomE. » January 9th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Rode around for about an hour this morning on a Pugsley, the trail was in really good condition for a fat tire ride. It got a little slick towards the end of the ride, I think the warm weather was making an icy layer on top of the snow. Still, everything was packed down nicely, and weather was beautiful.
TomE.

Postby Mack » January 9th, 2013, 1:56 pm

I would say today would be the last ride for awhile, at least until we get another cold spell. With the warm conditions we are having, and will continue to have along with rain, consider CRPT CLOSED for biking. The weather forcast predicts it will be 8-10
days before we get temps cold enough to refreeze the trail tread, it takes another 2-4 days for it to freeze up again.

Thank you eveyone, for not riding CRPT until the condition are right i.e. frozen.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby UselessPickles » January 27th, 2013, 4:15 pm

The trail was very fun today. There was just enough snow to make it fun, but not enough to slow you down too much.

There are a couple trees across the trail:

- Very close to the main trail head that requires dismounting and lifting the bike over. It's above knee level; I dare you to try bunny hopping it!

- In the "pump" or "rhythm" section near the long bridge that can be carefully ridden around.

- Near the beginning of the section of trail that starts just across the river from Dodge Park. This one is just a trunk on the ground that is small enough to ride over with a bit of finessing, or you can bunny hop it. How about just piling some dirt on each side of it and turning it into a trail feature?

None of these trees seemed movable by hand without some sort of saw. A small chainsaw may be necessary.
Last edited by UselessPickles on January 28th, 2013, 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
UselessPickles

Postby TechStumpy » January 27th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Seeing these berms makes me almost excited to ride when I get back downstate this summer.
Hopefully in March they will be firm enough for a quick ride through.
2008 Specialized Hardrock
2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO (still rocking the 26ers)
TechStumpy

Postby Mack » January 28th, 2013, 3:23 pm

UselessPickles wrote:The trail was very fun today. There was just enough snow to make it fun, but not enough to slow you down too much.

There are a couple trees across the trail:

- Very close to the main trail head that requires dismounting and lifting the bike over. It's above knee level; I dare you to try bunny hopping it!

- In the "pump" or "rhythm" section near the long bridge that can be carefully ridden around.

- Near the beginning of the section of trail that starts just across the river from Dodge Park. This one is just a trunk on the ground that is small enough to ride over with a bit of finessing, or you can bunny hop it. How about just piling some dirt on each side of it and turning it into a trail feature?

None of these trees seemed movable by hand without some sort of saw. A small chainsaw may be necessary.

Thanks for the update. I will get to them this weekend, if Aaron doesn't cut them out this week. I will look at the last one and give your idea some thought. Always looking to add features.
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments