CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby Mack » May 3rd, 2012, 5:24 pm

jalopy jockey wrote:
madmike23 wrote:Congrats to your son Paul. I am the 95% Made it to Life, but did not finish. My brother is an Eagle Scout. He built a bridge for a hiking trail as his project. I have often wondered why the MMBA does not seek the readily available resources that are Boy Scouts. If I remember correctly there is a Merit badges for forestry, environmental scinece, and pioneering type skills that trial building and maintenance might offer some supplemental knowledge.

Just my thoughts...

Sometimes it's connections and someone having the thought. I'll bring it up at the next Cramba board meeting, I think I am the connection in the area. Cramba board member and Cub Scout leader. No Boy Scout Troop affiliation yet but I have contact info for a couple leaders in the area.

Great idea! Aaron was also going to table the idea for discussion. Maybe you two can get together on this.
They really are a underutilized resource.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby Roy » May 5th, 2012, 8:33 am

Forming an affiliation with Scouting was mentioned, so here is my 2 cents on the subject.
For an affiliations to last over time there needs to mutual sharing of core values.
Core values, rather then Goals should frame the affiliation. MMBA has strong core values that could mesh with Scouting.
Start the affiliation by sharing basic core values and work outward to mutual needs like: Merit badges, building bridges, a maybe group rides.
This is great opportunity for MMBA to form a lasting association with Scouting.

Roy
Roy

Postby Mack » May 5th, 2012, 8:40 am

Roy wrote:Forming an affiliation with Scouting was mentioned, so here is my 2 cents on the subject.
For an affiliations to last over time there needs to mutual sharing of core values.
Core values, rather then Goals should frame the affiliation. MMBA has strong core values that could mesh with Scouting.
Start the affiliation by sharing basic core values and work outward to mutual needs like: Merit badges, building bridges, a maybe group rides.

Roy

Very well put Roy.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby 2slo2endo » May 5th, 2012, 10:53 am

Everyone gets mixed u p cause 2 "Pauls" post on this site... That was my son. Fun was definitely had! I am betting that CRPT is underwater now, I will post later if I can explore this afternoon, but my guess is that even the paved trails are under a few inches...
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » May 5th, 2012, 12:21 pm

2slo2endo wrote:Everyone gets mixed u p cause 2 "Pauls" post on this site... That was my son. Fun was definitely had! I am betting that CRPT is underwater now, I will post later if I can explore this afternoon, but my guess is that even the paved trails are under a few inches...

I beleive he was refering to the Eagle Scout project and he thought it was my rug rat. Don't bother exploring
from what I have been told it's underwater. Unles you want to then by all means have fun. Don't forget to take
your snorkel. :lol:
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby 2slo2endo » May 6th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Rode the pavement yesterday from Utica to clinton river park, the only singletrack I looked at was the new section, all of the other trailheads were under 6 inches of water (which might not be dry for that group ride on Thu), but the nes section is totally rideable - So I did! Did a lot of snorkeling on the [paved trail! shoes were NOT happy :>) Today was maintenance day anyway, checked out the skills course at Stoney, now its maintenance time!
2slo2endo

Postby madmike23 » May 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

Mack wrote:
jalopy jockey wrote:
madmike23 wrote:Congrats to your son Paul. I am the 95% Made it to Life, but did not finish. My brother is an Eagle Scout. He built a bridge for a hiking trail as his project. I have often wondered why the MMBA does not seek the readily available resources that are Boy Scouts. If I remember correctly there is a Merit badges for forestry, environmental scinece, and pioneering type skills that trial building and maintenance might offer some supplemental knowledge.

Just my thoughts...

Sometimes it's connections and someone having the thought. I'll bring it up at the next Cramba board meeting, I think I am the connection in the area. Cramba board member and Cub Scout leader. No Boy Scout Troop affiliation yet but I have contact info for a couple leaders in the area.

Great idea! Aaron was also going to table the idea for discussion. Maybe you two can get together on this.

I work with the wife of the Scoutmaster of Troop 156. It is out of Shelby Twp. Would you like me to pass any contact information to Him. She said they are alsowys looking for projects and things. The good thing about Eagle Scout projects is that the Scout secures material and monies for the project.
madmike23

Postby Mack » May 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm

madmike23 wrote:
Mack wrote:
jalopy jockey wrote:

Just my thoughts...

I work with the wife of the Scoutmaster of Troop 156. It is out of Shelby Twp. Would you like me to pass any contact information to Him. She said they are alsowys looking for projects and things. The good thing about Eagle Scout projects is that the Scout secures material and monies for the project.

PM sent.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » May 8th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Roy wrote:Forming an affiliation with Scouting was mentioned, so here is my 2 cents on the subject.

Roy

Roy, are you aware of PM's (private messages). You have had one in you in box since 4/30/12.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby buckeyefan58 » May 11th, 2012, 10:18 am

Is the trail still too wet?
buckeyefan58

Postby Mack » May 11th, 2012, 11:52 am

Yup, still wet and uderwater in some places. I would give it a few more days.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby 2slo2endo » May 16th, 2012, 11:56 am

I checked out the trails yesterday, the North west end (M53) is still a mud pit as well as the South East End (powerlines) further back in the woods - there are a few spots. The planks in the middle of the whoops moved ( I was able to move 1 closer to where it belonged, but after a feeble attempt it was clear I wasn't going to move the other one ( would have ended up ankle deep in Muck). I am sure the rain today didn't help, but the trail was pretty nice other than those spots. If you do ride, at least walk around those spots - people created bypasses, but those are mud pits now too. The ruts are getting deep.
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » May 16th, 2012, 1:48 pm

I got out this morning and was able to take care of a few things I wanted to get done. Trimmed the southend from
the entrance to the middle ridges. Also removed a couple of deadfall that stuck out onto the trail at bad angles.
the trail is wet but ridable.I Also got the planks by the new bridge straightened out. I will be :D when phase 2 of the bridge is completed this fall. There are two areas I would say don't ride. 1. The long straight that runs next to
the M53 expressway. 2 The southeast outermost section back in the woods behind the sub is bad. looking at
rerouting this section. Unfortunatly "Big Skinny" did not work out as planned and has moved again from
the last flood we had. It has beecome a pain in my a$$ and is more work then it is worth in that area. There
for I will be dismantling it tomorrow morning and moving it off to the side. That is the bad news, now for the
good stuff. I scouted an area this morning to move it to, out of the flood plain about 75 yards north
up on top of the ridge. I think what I found will make it even more fun... but I cannot complete this on
my own I need some help. This project will take a 6 people to complete, moving the logs up
the ridge to the feature area will be difficult part. The rest will be fun to build. If you are interested
helping build this new feature PM me, email or just post up here to let me know. A couple nights next
week or one day next weekend.
Last edited by Mack on May 17th, 2012, 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » May 17th, 2012, 1:05 pm

I was able to get out this morning and dismantle "Big Skinny" and move it off of the trail. I also
prepped the new area where the feature will go. The new spot already has what I was looking
for just needed some TLC.

Before. This mess is going to take lots of saw work. This pic is coming from the south.

After. The Skinny will go over this fallen tree, down the other side to the ground then a left turn.

and then go over the same tree at its base. This pic is coming from north.
There is also going to be an alternate route of riding the tree itself.

It should be a real gas when it is finished. We still need 3 more people to build this.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » May 18th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Aaron and I got out today and cleared the head banger deadfall and one other leaner on
the middle ridges. Work is progressing on the new skinny site for "Big Skinny" . This new
area is going to be alot of fun with multiple lines. We are still looking for volunteers to help
with the moving the logs and contruction of the feature.
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions