CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

Postby Mack » April 24th, 2012, 6:50 pm

jer091 wrote:Chainsaw size tree at the bottom of the hill just north of big skinny

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the report Jeremy. I should be able to take care of it tomorrow morning.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby Mack » April 25th, 2012, 3:41 pm

I went out this morning and cleared the deadfall on the hill just north of big skinny. The good news
is the trail is clear. Now for the bad news, because some individuals are building
unsafe/dangerous trail/features. At this time all future trail building projects are being put on hold.
Aaron spent 12 yrs trying to convince the city to let the MMBA build a trail in the park, that trail is now
in jeopardy. These individuals are committing a crime and will be arrested and charged with a
misdemeanor and up to a felony depending on what they are caught doing at the time, and they will be
caught if they continue. The Sterling Hgts Police are now patrolling the trail with day and night bike patrols and
and are taking this matter very serious, there will be no warnings. If anyone knows who is building this stuff
please tell them to stop and if they don't, what the outcome is going to be when they are caught.

If any of you see someone building trail or features question them. There are only two people authorized
to do trail work at CRPT. Sgt. Aaron Burgess and myself, we both have a way of proving we are
authorized by the city. DO NOT confront them just leave, but DO call the SHPD and ask
for Sgt. Burgess he will handle it from there.

I love building cool and fun features. So if anyone knows who is building this stuff, have
them get in touch with Aaron or myself, and we can talk about what it is they want to build. Unless
we are involved with the design and construction of the trail/feature they want to build. We will
continue as we did this time,to dismantle whatever it is they build again and again....But there is going
to come a time when the city says "enough" and closes the trail. When they say close they mean close,
they will make the trail unrideable by felling large trees on and across the entire length of the trail. We
will not let this happen. We will dismantle every single feature on the trail and keep it that way.

Thank you, Paul
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Roy » April 29th, 2012, 6:08 pm

The trail was just about perfect today, Sunday. I even got some speed up. If you have not ridden this trail, it is worth the effort. Combine it with, River Bends and Stoney you have a destination trail system. Clinton River Park Trail is very safe. It is not difficult to ride. Your speed here is only limited by skill and strength. Just keep an eye out for bikers, hikers and runners and slow around blind corners.

I did not see any illegal features being built. I saw more hikers a runners using the trail then bikers. I hope that the City (S.H.) knows how popular this trail is with runners and hikers. The locals have been building unauthorized trail features for years. This trail puts eyeballs on most of the park. I would expect some push back from the locals, but in time their push back should diminish. Just keep tearing down Illegal features and hang a Police notice at the site. Maybe the locals do not know there building is illegal. Before the trial was put in there were people living in tents in the park. I bet the home owners boarder the park didn't know they had people living in their back yard. When I stand back and look at the whole picture, I see a very popular trail that brings a lot of new security to the park. The trail is not encouraging illegal building it is just shinning a light on it.

Can you post Sgt. Burgess contact info and protocol (see activity or see evidence of activity)?

Roy
Roy

Postby 2slo2endo » April 30th, 2012, 7:14 am

Rode the trail with my son yesterday too. Perfect ride! He is 10, and as fast as I am (which isn't saying much). The new section is firming up nicely.
Illegal features - Are you talking about the section of trail near Jaycee park? Teens have always built stuff in that area, even 15 years ago.
Would it help relations with the city if we planted trees? I think that after last year's floods the east end of the trail system could use a few.. and it seems that it would make some nice PR.
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » April 30th, 2012, 7:41 am

2slo2endo wrote:Rode the trail with my son yesterday too. Perfect ride! He is 10, and as fast as I am (which isn't saying much). The new section is firming up nicely.
Illegal features - Are you talking about the section of trail near Jaycee park? Teens have always built stuff in that area, even 15 years ago.
Would it help relations with the city if we planted trees? I think that after last year's floods the east end of the trail system could use a few.. and it seems that it would make some nice PR.

Glad you and your son enjoyed the ride. With the amount of use CRPT gets the new section will be firmed
up in no time. The illegal features have been dismantled that is why you didn't see them, the jumps by
Jaycee park are not them. Planting trees in a flood plain hmmm.. I will have to give that some thought.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby c0nsumer » April 30th, 2012, 7:55 am

Mack wrote:The illegal features have been dismantled that is why you didn't see them...

I WILL TEAR IT DOWN AGAIN
I WILL DESTROY IT
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby buster » April 30th, 2012, 7:59 am

Any chance this trail will every be converted to a loop instead of bi-directional?

Is there an updated map with the "new" section? I haven't been out this year, curious is the new section on the north side by the freeway?
buster

Postby Mack » April 30th, 2012, 8:18 am

c0nsumer wrote:
Mack wrote:The illegal features have been dismantled that is why you didn't see them...

I WILL TEAR IT DOWN AGAIN
I WILL DESTROY IT

My form of chainsaw art. :)
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » April 30th, 2012, 8:32 am

buster wrote:Any chance this trail will every be converted to a loop instead of bi-directional?

Is there an updated map with the "new" section? I haven't been out this year, curious is the new section on the north side by the freeway?

Maybe in the future, not something we are looking at this time. The problem is the park is very narrow and the
trail already goes within yards of property owners land. If and when some of the trail most likely would remain
bi-directional. No the new section is not North of the freeway. Just follow the red signs and you will ride the new
section, which is a reroute of a problem area.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » May 1st, 2012, 1:08 pm

Here is the new "trail entrance" kiosk that Eagle Scout candidate Taylor Shirley built for
CRPT. Taylor did a awesome job of building and installing the new kiosk. This project will
complete his Eagle Scout requirements.

Taylor will have eraned his Eagle Scout rank at 14 yrs old and belongs to Boy Scout troop 1973. Most Boy Scouts
do not start the process until they are 16 yrs old. Only 5% of all Boy Scouts earn the Eagle Scout rank. When
this area is finished it will be beautifully lanscaped trail entrance, we still have 2 benches to install, 6 more boulders
to move and shrubs to plant. As a side note if anyone has access to a Bobcat/frontend loader and would like to
move the 6 boulders that were donated. Please PM me so we can discuss the details.

Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby madmike23 » May 2nd, 2012, 10:11 am

Congrats to your son Paul. I am the 95% Made it to Life, but did not finish. My brother is an Eagle Scout. He built a bridge for a hiking trail as his project. I have often wondered why the MMBA does not seek the readily available resources that are Boy Scouts. If I remember correctly there is a Merit badges for forestry, environmental scinece, and pioneering type skills that trial building and maintenance might offer some supplemental knowledge.

Just my thoughts...
madmike23

Postby jalopy jockey » May 2nd, 2012, 11:07 am

madmike23 wrote:Congrats to your son Paul. I am the 95% Made it to Life, but did not finish. My brother is an Eagle Scout. He built a bridge for a hiking trail as his project. I have often wondered why the MMBA does not seek the readily available resources that are Boy Scouts. If I remember correctly there is a Merit badges for forestry, environmental scinece, and pioneering type skills that trial building and maintenance might offer some supplemental knowledge.

Just my thoughts...

Sometimes it's connections and someone having the thought. I'll bring it up at the next Cramba board meeting, I think I am the connection in the area. Cramba board member and Cub Scout leader. No Boy Scout Troop affiliation yet but I have contact info for a couple leaders in the area.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby madmike23 » May 2nd, 2012, 1:08 pm

I remember my brother wanted to do something outdoosy for his project. He was having a hard time finding something to do. We went to the park in our area (simialr to Stoney Creek). The Park rangers were elated to hear of this. Pretty soon the whole hiking trail had been groomed,repaired, bridges built, benches built, and fences built,....all by Eagle Scout Projects. The Local lumbar yard even priovided and delivered the lumber. All he had to do was wood burn their name and and a donation statement.
madmike23

Postby c0nsumer » May 3rd, 2012, 1:30 pm

Hey everyone. I'm getting a CRAMBA group ride together for next Thursday (10-May-2012) to ride River Bends and CRPT. Interested? Click here for more information...
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Mack » May 3rd, 2012, 5:16 pm

madmike23 wrote:Congrats to your son Paul. I am the 95% Made it to Life, but did not finish. My brother is an Eagle Scout. He built a bridge for a hiking trail as his project. I have often wondered why the MMBA does not seek the readily available resources that are Boy Scouts. If I remember correctly there is a Merit badges for forestry, environmental scinece, and pioneering type skills that trial building and maintenance might offer some supplemental knowledge.

Just my thoughts...

Thank you, but not my kid. Aaron and I were just discussing this very subject. We will be utilizing this
resource in the future for sure.
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions