Midstate: Jailhouse Trail (Ithaca)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Midstate: Jailhouse Trail (Ithaca)

Postby printenv » March 31st, 2010, 1:27 pm

Heading to the in-laws who live in Ithaca for Easter and was wondering how the trail was.
"One has to be able to adapt to the unexpected, laugh at the absurdly difficult, and find some level of enjoyment at even the toughest times." -- Kurt Refsnider
printenv

Postby robvas » April 12th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Curious to know as well, I'd like to check it out this week. We've had some rain lately and I don't want to waste 45 minutes driving out there if it's too muddy to ride.
robvas

Postby timarr » April 12th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Jailhouse is still a bit wet after the recent rain, it was really sweet before that though! This is the soonest we've been out and had great riding conditions in a few years. As long as we don't get any more rain it should dry out in a day or two. Someone has been out raking already. Pros: no thorns. Cons: gets muddy faster.
"Go big so your crash is spectacular!"
timarr

Postby dirtman » April 24th, 2010, 7:27 am

The trail is in great shape now, rolls pretty fast. Ride it now before the corners dry out. Supposed to get rain for a few short days. The locals have been riding it continuously. Haven't seen this many people here this soon in quite a while, with a few new riders getting into the sport. Most of the trail has been raked, part has the leaves left on it to see how well they break down into the soil.
dirtman

Postby dirtman » April 24th, 2010, 7:29 am

The last posts date was to read; April 24th 2010
dirtman

Postby dirtman » April 30th, 2010, 5:30 pm

April 30, all wooden bridges have been repaired today, by me...have to repair a couple of the same ones every year because of the horses
dirtman

Postby northernrider05 » July 16th, 2010, 3:05 pm

How are the current trail conditons?
"Bicycles may change,but cycling is timeless."
-Zapata Espinoza
northernrider05

Postby volklgirl » July 16th, 2010, 7:04 pm

As of last Sunday, the conditions there were some of the best I've ever seen! They've done a great job of getting ready for the race this weekend.

However, if you're there to ride the "stunts", only the by-passes have been cleared of leaves and dead fall. They are all rideable, but it's super easy to go blowing right on by them without even noticing.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby Snowybunting » September 1st, 2010, 10:19 am

Rode this trail for the first time on 8/31, on my way to Clare. Really cool trail, pretty dry and dusty but still fast and fun. Saw about 10 deer, even on the 2nd and 3rd laps. I guess they aren't too spooked by bikers anymore.

I appreciated the paint on the stumps that were a bit hidden in the shadows, I don't know if I would have seen them without the paint.
Snowybunting

Postby volklgirl » September 6th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Trail was in fantastic shape yesterday! We've had enough rain to keep it firm but not enough to make is sloppy or rutty.

Someone has cleared the dead fall off the entrances for all the log piles and stunts although they're still covered by leaves. The big log pile needs some serious TLC and it doesn't look like it's even been ridden in a couple of years. I gotta say that's one big teeter! Some day when I'm not riding solo or on the single speed, I WILL hit that.

Kudos to whoever is putting in the new single track at the end!!! It really keeps the feel of the rest of the trail and even as new and rough as it is right now, it was totally rideable by my pansy ass on a 32/15 singlespeed. It'll be a great addition to the trail and is way more fun than taking the 2 track back to the exit gate!!! I'm really sorry I ran out of daylight on my second lap and had to by pass it that time through :( .

I'd like to apologize to the poor deer family I chased around the trail twice. They just couldn't figure out where to go to avoid me....I felt bad for them, especially after I almost hit one of them :shock: .
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby thedarkjunco » September 6th, 2010, 3:28 pm

We rode on Saturday and had a wonderful ride. I just wanted to say thank you to who ever takes care of the trail. I liked the new single track at the end also.
thedarkjunco

Postby volklgirl » October 12th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Just wanted to send out a HUGE "Thank You!!" to the guy that cleared the trail of leaves on Saturday afternoon. We chatted for a while under the big tree, but I never got his name. :(

The freshly cleared trail made for the most amazing night ride ever!

Everything is hardpack and fast!
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby bil » November 6th, 2010, 10:56 pm

awesome shape 11-5-10 first time riding there in 6 years, since I moved, somebody maintaining it nicely. where all the log crossings
bil

Postby volklgirl » May 8th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Anyone got a report on how the trail looks right now? I know Jailhouse tends to be one of the last to be fully rideable due to its low-lying position and clay base.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby AllMountin' » May 9th, 2011, 1:16 am

Would like to know too. I'm only about 30 minutes from here, but have never ridden it.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments