Midstate: Jailhouse Trail (Ithaca)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Midstate: Jailhouse Trail (Ithaca)

Postby Todd Scott » April 4th, 2004, 9:10 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the Jailhouse Trail in Ithaca
Todd Scott

Postby BooBoo » April 4th, 2004, 9:44 pm

Ithaca is one of my regular rides, but I haven't been out there yet. It's just far enough away that I haven't driven out there yet to check trail conditions, maybe next Saturday. With snow we've had this year, I think that there's a good chance parts of the trail will still be muddy or underwater.
Any trail work days planned? I'd be there...
BooBoo

Postby BooBoo » April 11th, 2004, 8:39 pm

The trail is definately not ready to ride yet! More wet spots than dry and there's serious water over some sections. There's 4 trees down that need to be addressed, but a couple could be left with the proper engineer (hint, hint!) to make smooth crossings. Some bridges need repair or additional length. Anyone interested in a trail day?
BooBoo

Postby BooBoo » July 7th, 2004, 9:30 pm

A friend called Terry's Bike Shop in Alma today, they told her it's a mud fest out there. Don't think it's going to dry out this summer. Maybe they should call the Ithaca Challenge in August the "Ithaca Mudbog" instead.
BooBoo

Postby DF Bernard » July 19th, 2004, 8:48 pm

I rode Ithaca last Wednesday (July 14) and it was in pretty good shape. Still some slick spots - careful around the corners - but overall pretty decent.

I rode with three locals who advised me that the last mile or so was unrideable. One of them had taken it upon himself to cut a bypass, which he showed me, and it still made for a good ride.

I think, at this point, if it hasn't rained in the past few days, go ahead and give Jailhouse a ride.
Daryl Bernard
Trail Coordinator - Pine Haven Recreation Area

Keep singletrack SINGLE - don't ride wide!
DF Bernard

Postby BooBoo » August 22nd, 2004, 5:56 pm

Ok, so it's mid-August, but...Ithaca is finally 100% ridable again! Went out today & made a reroute along the edge of the huge pond that's decided to stay. There's no real loss to actual yardage of trail, we just rerouted along side the mud that people have been riding in (it's still pretty nasty). We apologize for the first tight turn, we really thought there was more room when we were laying it out. :twisted: Hopefully as it gets ridden, it will get better. We also rebuilt the front of that new log crossing that suddenly appeared in the hairpin section this spring. Hope everyone enjoys it! We had fun figuring it out & putting it all together. Bill, you'd be proud! :)
BooBoo

Postby BooBoo » May 29th, 2005, 4:02 pm

A little bit of mud, but otherwise ridable. Need to get a chainsaw & some weedwackers out there, but otherwise, very nice. Whomever has been doing work out there lately, great job. Thanks for putting back some fun into the trail!
BooBoo

Postby Guest » June 10th, 2005, 7:28 pm

Rode Fri 10.06.2005...
Last edited by Guest on July 18th, 2005, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Koz65 » July 12th, 2005, 4:40 pm

I rode the trail this past Sunday for the first time. I must say that's the worst trail I've ever been on. I got turned around twice and ended up riding in the reverse direction. Someone has been cutting the trees but it definetly needs work.
Koz65

jailhouse

Postby hubedogg » July 13th, 2005, 12:50 pm

I rode part of the trail yesterday until I got a flat tire from a thorn. Trail can be confusing at times and easy to get turned around. Needs some work though.
hubedogg

Postby Koz65 » July 14th, 2005, 5:11 pm

Well, I just got back in town and was looking forward to going for a ride this evening. That is until I saw both my tires were flat from my ride on Sunday. :x :x
That was my first ride there and it was definetly my last. :!: :!: :!:
Koz65

Postby volklgirl » September 11th, 2005, 3:43 pm

Kudos to whoever did the trail work at Ithaca this summer!!!! When I rode it in July, the were 3 areas of hike-a-bike with HUGE trees down across the trail,and the trail markings have gotten really poor. Hubby rode it a couple of weeks ago, and said the trees have been removed, but so has one of the log rides we really liked. He did say that the trail markings are still poor, and he got turned around and lost, too. Still it was WAY better than last year when 1/2 the trail was under water!
volklgirl

Ready to ride yet??

Postby volklgirl » April 4th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Has anyone been out on the Jailhouse trail yet?
volklgirl

Postby BooBoo » April 5th, 2006, 9:14 pm

I haven't, but I'm thinking it's going to be very soft & various sections under major water. Takes awhile for that place to dry out, seems to be alot of swamp there. Oh yeah, and thorns, lots of thorns!
BooBoo

Postby bil » April 15th, 2006, 4:15 pm

3-15-06
still to muddy it will need at least 4 weeks of no rain before it will be good to ride.

to bad some retard cut out all the natural log piles only so fake ones could be replaced. and the trail has been widened in many places for there lack of riding skills, some of the work done there since I moved away has been for the good but much is really sad. I hope the freeway cutting isn't the trend there.
bil

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments