Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby garv08 » March 25th, 2015, 3:41 am

NorthCoastZack wrote:
garv08 wrote:Anyone riding Hungerford this year?
I ride it basically every day once snow is gone.

I am usually out there at least a few times a week once its clear to ride. I wanted to get out there this week but illness has kept me inside. I plan on hiking out there this weekend to check on the trail conditions and clean up any fallen debris in the trail. Ill report back with what I find!

I'm going to try to make it out there Monday or Tuesday. Bringing a saw for down trees.
garv08

Postby NorthCoastZack » March 30th, 2015, 11:49 am

I rode Hungerford yesterday. The first half of the trail was really in pretty good shape, the second half of the big loop is still largely covered in snow. I did not ride the cut across so I'm not sure what it looks like right now. As far as conditions other than snow are concerned it wasn't that bad. A couple down trees, both could be bunny hopped but I'm hoping to make it out and clear them soon. There were a few climbs that could maybe have the leaves raked away too. It was not easy riding with my singlespeed, I just kept spinning out (but hey, that's largely in part operator error I'm sure hah)
NorthCoastZack

Postby bb_udell » April 9th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Big M is all set. snow free. locals are clearing trails and working on getting all downed trees cut.
bb_udell

Postby garv08 » April 13th, 2015, 4:12 am

Went out to Hungerford yesterday, clockwise, outside loop. Removed two down trees, no more large ones left. made a bypass for the 4 wheeler's mud run, all in all trail is in great shape.
A lot of leaves and derailleur snapping branches/twigs, going to try to rake or leaf blow this week/weekend. if anyone is riding let me know.
garv08

Postby Nooge » August 9th, 2015, 8:06 am

Yesterday was my first time at Big M. We rode it after a night of rain, which made the sand nice and firm. The bummer though was the trail markings and maps. The map linked by the trail guide doesn't show any one way trails but there are quite a few. At the park maps they show a few trails as one way (oh me II, catamount) which makes sense because they have really steep straight downhills with sand and deadfall that would make oncoming traffic dangerous.

However once you start riding to get to those trails, you run into "do not enter" signs on almost every trail on the way to them. Three sections aren't marked as one way on even the maps at the park. And most of these trails do not need to be one way.

If you want to follow the rules, there is only one route to do oh me II and catamount and that is to ride 1-20 in order counting up. That wouldn't be so bad if I knew that going in, but after being forced to go out of my way a few times we finally said screw it and just ignored the one way sections that weren't marked as such on the park map.

I'm sure this is due to the forestry service not the MMBA, but I want to give people a Hess up and maybe someone can get an updated and accurate map on the trail guide.

On a happier note, the trail was fun. There's a climb from 17 to 33 (good rd?) that's really tough. If you ride that way up to the fire tower and then ride it backwards it is an insane downhill.
Nooge

Postby RickPlite » August 9th, 2015, 9:06 am

Nooge wrote:Yesterday was my first time at Big M. We rode it after a night of rain, which made the sand nice and firm. The bummer though was the trail markings and maps. The map linked by the trail guide doesn't show any one way trails but there are quite a few. At the park maps they show a few trails as one way (oh me II, catamount) which makes sense because they have really steep straight downhills with sand and deadfall that would make oncoming traffic dangerous.

However once you start riding to get to those trails, you run into "do not enter" signs on almost every trail on the way to them. Three sections aren't marked as one way on even the maps at the park. And most of these trails do not need to be one way.

If you want to follow the rules, there is only one route to do oh me II and catamount and that is to ride 1-20 in order counting up. That wouldn't be so bad if I knew that going in, but after being forced to go out of my way a few times we finally said screw it and just ignored the one way sections that weren't marked as such on the park map.

I'm sure this is due to the forestry service not the MMBA, but I want to give people a Hess up and maybe someone can get an updated and accurate map on the trail guide.

On a happier note, the trail was fun. There's a climb from 17 to 33 (good rd?) that's really tough. If you ride that way up to the fire tower and then ride it backwards it is an insane downhill.

the one way trail signs are for the xc skiers. too bad it doesn't say that somewhere, your ride would have been less strenuous
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Nooge » August 11th, 2015, 6:37 pm

RickPlite wrote:
the one way trail signs are for the xc skiers. too bad it doesn't say that somewhere, your ride would have been less strenuous

Knowing that would have made my experience much better. Thanks for the tip for next time.
Nooge

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments