Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby Siler » August 8th, 2012, 10:39 am

The North Country Trail could use your help. The Western Michigan Chapter of the NCTA and the US Forest Service have received numerous reports this year of a cyclist sawyer who is using a chainsaw to remove blowdowns along the trail. While we commend this individual's commitment to the trails, we would very much like to coordinate our efforts and ensure volunteer safety. Two primary concerns come to mind. First, some of the tree removal is not being done to specification and hazardous situations are sometimes being left behind. Second, we are concerned for this person's personal safety. The Forest Service requires all volunteer sawyers to be trained, certified, and using full personal protection equipment. The Western Michigan Chapter would like to work with this individual to coordinate activities, provide training and certification, and potentially provide personal protection equipment and required tools to complete the job safely.

Please know that all volunteers doing work in the National Forest must have signed volunteers agreements with the Forest Service. We would be happy to direct any potential volunteers on how to make this happen.

If you know this individual, please encourage him to contact the Western Michigan Chapter of the NCTA. http://www.northcountrytrail.org/wmi. Our intent is to provide a high-quality trail worthy of National Scenic Trail designation for all user groups, to protect the environment, and to protect user safety while enjoying the outdoors.

Good riding!
Paul Haan
Trail Manager
Western Michigan Chapter NCTA
Siler

Postby Mike_D » August 12th, 2012, 11:09 am

Big M update. There is a large tree limb down halfway down the long fast downhill on the Bullwhacker between the Catamount and the Corkpine. You can get around it but not with any speed. It will definitely require a chainsaw to clear it. Oh, yeah, watchout for all of the porquipine poo coming out of the tree the limb broke away from - it is a crazy big pile :shock: Looks like one of those peanut machines that you put a quarter into :lol:
Mike_D

Postby Paladin54 » September 8th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Road Hungerford this AM. Trail was in great shape. Doesn't look like horses have been on the bike only parts. The first of two ladders is down though, not that I would ride it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Have you seen a Wolf in Michigan? Report your sighting at Michigan Wolf Sightings
Paladin54

Postby Paladin54 » September 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Also, I see the website posts entry fees for Hungerford. There is a day use lot with no charge to use the trail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Have you seen a Wolf in Michigan? Report your sighting at Michigan Wolf Sightings
Paladin54

Postby hondaph00l » October 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Just wondering but is Big M closed for hunting? I've never ridden there but was considering driving up there to ride tomorrow if possible?
hondaph00l

Postby Mike_D » October 6th, 2012, 1:52 pm

hondaph00l wrote:Just wondering but is Big M closed for hunting? I've never ridden there but was considering driving up there to ride tomorrow if possible?

It is not closed for hunting but you might consider wearing bright clothing just to play it safe since small game and archery deer season is open.

Ought to be some beautiful color up there on your ride. Last weekend on the way to the HCP ride, passed thru the Cadillac area and it had some beautiful red colors going on.
Mike_D

Postby xycarp » January 4th, 2013, 7:52 pm

its hard to tell from a rough map... how difficult will it be to ride from Luddington to Cadillac in July? I am thinking about winging it and riding through in a day or two.

Any thoughts? Are there enough east - west trails / seasonal roads that it should be doable?
xycarp

Postby Zoo1424 » August 31st, 2013, 7:36 pm

Rode the Big M today. Avoided the section between markers 2 to 22 to 23 per the posts below. Rest of the trail was in great shape. I think we only came across a couple of downed trees & those had re-routes around them. So much fun!
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby bb_udell » April 9th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Big M is all set. snow free. locals are clearing trails and working on getting all downed trees cut.
bb_udell

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions