Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby garv08 » March 25th, 2015, 3:41 am

NorthCoastZack wrote:
garv08 wrote:Anyone riding Hungerford this year?
I ride it basically every day once snow is gone.

I am usually out there at least a few times a week once its clear to ride. I wanted to get out there this week but illness has kept me inside. I plan on hiking out there this weekend to check on the trail conditions and clean up any fallen debris in the trail. Ill report back with what I find!

I'm going to try to make it out there Monday or Tuesday. Bringing a saw for down trees.
garv08

Postby NorthCoastZack » March 30th, 2015, 11:49 am

I rode Hungerford yesterday. The first half of the trail was really in pretty good shape, the second half of the big loop is still largely covered in snow. I did not ride the cut across so I'm not sure what it looks like right now. As far as conditions other than snow are concerned it wasn't that bad. A couple down trees, both could be bunny hopped but I'm hoping to make it out and clear them soon. There were a few climbs that could maybe have the leaves raked away too. It was not easy riding with my singlespeed, I just kept spinning out (but hey, that's largely in part operator error I'm sure hah)
NorthCoastZack

Postby bb_udell » April 9th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Big M is all set. snow free. locals are clearing trails and working on getting all downed trees cut.
bb_udell

Postby garv08 » April 13th, 2015, 4:12 am

Went out to Hungerford yesterday, clockwise, outside loop. Removed two down trees, no more large ones left. made a bypass for the 4 wheeler's mud run, all in all trail is in great shape.
A lot of leaves and derailleur snapping branches/twigs, going to try to rake or leaf blow this week/weekend. if anyone is riding let me know.
garv08

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments