Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby c0nsumer » May 20th, 2012, 9:18 pm

lancefro wrote:Heading to Manistee for the Memorial day weekend. Any word on trail status and conditions? Also, any tips or suggestions as this is our first time riding at Big-M. Thanks.

Ride the Lumberjack route. It's a good route.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lancefro » May 28th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Rode at Big-M over the weekend. It was my first time up there.

The trails were in okay shape overall but still need some cleanup before lumberjack. There were a few large trees down in different areas and just general debris. Also, due to the very dry spring in northern Michigan the trails were quite sandy in some places.
lancefro

Postby Spinwheel » June 17th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Friday rode most of one 33-mile loop of the Lumberjack 100 course (the hills on this course were pretty intense) - sand seemed to be worse than in past years - lots of sticks down but clear of downed trees. Next trip I'll stick with Slowpokes route!
Saturday did NCT B from Udell trailhead to Freesoil trailhead - trail was in great shape and much less sand to contend with. No down trees or black bears spotted.
The area saw heavy thunderstorms late Saturday night but will probably dry out quickly...
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby c0nsumer » June 17th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Spinwheel wrote:Friday rode most of one 33-mile loop of the Lumberjack 100 course (the hills on this course were pretty intense) - sand seemed to be worse than in past years - lots of sticks down but clear of downed trees. Next trip I'll stick with Slowpokes route!
Saturday did NCT B from Udell trailhead to Freesoil trailhead - trail was in great shape and much less sand to contend with. No down trees or black bears spotted.
The area saw heavy thunderstorms late Saturday night but will probably dry out quickly...

That 1.5" of rain (per what I saw in a bucket candle this morning) will do nothing but help the LJ route. Parts of that felt like a beach this weekend.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Mike_D » August 1st, 2012, 9:03 am

Has anyone rode the Big M recently since the Lumberjack100? Heading up there in a week or so and was just wondering if it is super sandy (in spots) or if there has been enough rain up there to tame the sand? Also, how were the bugs? Mosquitoes? Ticks? Deer flies?
Mike_D

Postby cramer » August 1st, 2012, 9:10 am

mntn-biker wrote:Has anyone rode the Big M recently since the Lumberjack100? Heading up there in a week or so and was just wondering if it is super sandy (in spots) or if there has been enough rain up there to tame the sand? Also, how were the bugs? Mosquitoes? Ticks? Deer flies?

Trail is in great condition and there were almost NO mosquitoes or deer flies but plenty of ticks (the big fat ones, not the lyme disease ones).
cramer

Postby Mboz » August 1st, 2012, 9:25 am

Agreed, was there last week and was suprised at the lack of insects! Trail was in good shape, still some sandy parts and downed trees here and there.
Mboz

Postby Siler » August 8th, 2012, 10:39 am

The North Country Trail could use your help. The Western Michigan Chapter of the NCTA and the US Forest Service have received numerous reports this year of a cyclist sawyer who is using a chainsaw to remove blowdowns along the trail. While we commend this individual's commitment to the trails, we would very much like to coordinate our efforts and ensure volunteer safety. Two primary concerns come to mind. First, some of the tree removal is not being done to specification and hazardous situations are sometimes being left behind. Second, we are concerned for this person's personal safety. The Forest Service requires all volunteer sawyers to be trained, certified, and using full personal protection equipment. The Western Michigan Chapter would like to work with this individual to coordinate activities, provide training and certification, and potentially provide personal protection equipment and required tools to complete the job safely.

Please know that all volunteers doing work in the National Forest must have signed volunteers agreements with the Forest Service. We would be happy to direct any potential volunteers on how to make this happen.

If you know this individual, please encourage him to contact the Western Michigan Chapter of the NCTA. http://www.northcountrytrail.org/wmi. Our intent is to provide a high-quality trail worthy of National Scenic Trail designation for all user groups, to protect the environment, and to protect user safety while enjoying the outdoors.

Good riding!
Paul Haan
Trail Manager
Western Michigan Chapter NCTA
Siler

Postby Mike_D » August 12th, 2012, 11:09 am

Big M update. There is a large tree limb down halfway down the long fast downhill on the Bullwhacker between the Catamount and the Corkpine. You can get around it but not with any speed. It will definitely require a chainsaw to clear it. Oh, yeah, watchout for all of the porquipine poo coming out of the tree the limb broke away from - it is a crazy big pile :shock: Looks like one of those peanut machines that you put a quarter into :lol:
Mike_D

Postby Paladin54 » September 8th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Road Hungerford this AM. Trail was in great shape. Doesn't look like horses have been on the bike only parts. The first of two ladders is down though, not that I would ride it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Have you seen a Wolf in Michigan? Report your sighting at Michigan Wolf Sightings
Paladin54

Postby Paladin54 » September 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Also, I see the website posts entry fees for Hungerford. There is a day use lot with no charge to use the trail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Have you seen a Wolf in Michigan? Report your sighting at Michigan Wolf Sightings
Paladin54

Postby hondaph00l » October 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Just wondering but is Big M closed for hunting? I've never ridden there but was considering driving up there to ride tomorrow if possible?
hondaph00l

Postby Mike_D » October 6th, 2012, 1:52 pm

hondaph00l wrote:Just wondering but is Big M closed for hunting? I've never ridden there but was considering driving up there to ride tomorrow if possible?

It is not closed for hunting but you might consider wearing bright clothing just to play it safe since small game and archery deer season is open.

Ought to be some beautiful color up there on your ride. Last weekend on the way to the HCP ride, passed thru the Cadillac area and it had some beautiful red colors going on.
Mike_D

Postby Zoo1424 » October 26th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Rode the Big M today for the first time. Been trying to get over there for years. What a trail! Definitely needs some TLC at the start leading up to marker 24 as there were a lot of downed trees over the trail. From 24 on the trail was in good shape. Lots of leaves on the trail, but not much else. Did not see any hunters.
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby xycarp » January 2nd, 2013, 9:18 pm

Hi all...

Where can I find a good map or trails and fire roads through the Manistee Forest? The only maps I have seen are the roadmaps on the Forest site...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 145175.pdf
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 145173.pdf

I am looking to plot a course from one end of the Manistee to the other (Cadillac?) using trails, fire roads, dirt roads... anything other than pavement. :)

thanks,

Mark
xycarp

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments