Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby watchmyback » May 2nd, 2011, 6:44 pm

I was there this past Saturday and rode the outside loop and a bunch of the inner trails. Some bigger trees were blow down, I had to dismount maybe 5 times, and some brush for the most part it was fine. No wet areas at all.
watchmyback
 
Posts: 225
Joined: August 23rd, 2006, 8:09 pm
Location: Traverse City

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby bleve » May 3rd, 2011, 1:10 am

This past Sunday I rode a couple miles north from the Dilling Rd access on the NCT and had no major problems, a couple small trees but nothing preventing passage. Then I stopped at Hungerford and rode the shorter A loop. Such an under appreciated trail. The east-west section in the middle had about four trees down, I could ride over 3 of the 4 if I recall, and there was one short section that had two mudholes from four-wheel tracks (this was only 1-2 miles into the trail). Overall though a great ride.
bleve
 
Posts: 334
Joined: June 17th, 2007, 8:37 am

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby volklgirl » May 27th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Cadillac Pathways is in great condition right now.....we've had enough rain that the sand pits haven't started yet and everything is really tacky and firm. I only saw a couple of face slappers on the sections from 1 to 8 and back. I'll try to take care of the trim work when I get the chapter weed whacker back in a couple of weeks.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
User avatar
volklgirl
 
Posts: 925
Joined: June 22nd, 2005, 8:30 pm
Location: Paradise (aka "Up North")

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby yamaha13 » May 30th, 2011, 11:30 pm

Rode The Big M today. a lot of trees across the trail in the beginning of the outer loop. Had to portage the bike over and around some of them. Other than that the trail is awesome!
yamaha13
 
Posts: 112
Joined: August 6th, 2007, 8:41 am

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby Siler » May 31st, 2011, 10:36 pm

Bear Creek bridge along the NCT in Newaygo County has been rebuilt (5/14) and the detour is no longer in effect. There is some trail hardening work that is yet to be completed on the south end of the bridge. This work is scheduled for early July. Until then, please dismount before descending the hill for your own safety and to protect the natural resource.

Paul Haan
Volunteer Trail Manager
Western Michigan Chapter NCTA
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/wmi
Siler
 
Posts: 3
Joined: September 20th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Re:

Postby Spinwheel » June 8th, 2011, 9:36 am

SlowPoke wrote:

Favorite path.
Click here for the map

:arrow: Park at North parking lot off M55
:arrow: South on NCT past the outer loop at the north end of the system.
:arrow: Continue south on NCT till we hit the Outer Loop at south end (about 4 miles)
:arrow: Left (north east) on Outer Loop till the Fire Tower trail
:arrow: Left on Fire tower (great down hill to Jurassic Park)
:arrow: Left on Jurassic Park
:arrow: Right on Oh Me (This side of Oh Me is not as hard as the name implies)
:arrow: Keep right on all the trail and intersections till you find yourself at the very south end of Catamount
:arrow: Take the very short connector trail from catamount to Outer Loop
:arrow: East on Outer Loop around to the parking lot at the south east side of park
:arrow: From parking lot take Lumberjack north to Camp 24
:arrow: Camp 24 to the West side if Big Wheel for that killer down hill
:arrow: Then that hard to find cut over in the pines over to Antelope

For a guy like me that can’t climb hills for hours at a time this is a great way to see the best the Big M has to offer and still have enough energy to do some more riding or play tennis with the family when I get home. It is a 16 mile ride with all the best downhills (IMO).



Hoping to ride that loop this weekend, anyone know trail conditions for bigM/NCTA & B?

thanks,
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
User avatar
Spinwheel
 
Posts: 937
Joined: May 8th, 2003, 10:03 am
Location: SE Michigan Mountain Bike MECCA

Mackenzie Pathway

Postby volklgirl » July 1st, 2011, 1:04 pm

FYI: Just because the DNR says something is a "bike trail" doesn't mean it is.

Mackenzie Pathway is totally unrideable (well, OK, it's rideable but seriously not any fun!). It hasn't been mowed or groomed in any way in.....well, probably ever, it's a muddy, swampy mess in many places, and the briar bushes and nettles are knee to hip high.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this one until someone steps up to be a trail coordinator.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
User avatar
volklgirl
 
Posts: 925
Joined: June 22nd, 2005, 8:30 pm
Location: Paradise (aka "Up North")

Big-M Info

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 2nd, 2011, 11:49 am

I am looking to head to Big M this weekend. When I look at the map I see the cross country sections and the red trail that looks to be the mt bike trail. Am I correct in what I am thinking or do you guys ride the XC trails? Also how many miles would I be looking at if I ride the red sections? Any favorite trail routes or not-to-miss features?
Last edited by LuckyCharm4x4 on July 2nd, 2011, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
LuckyCharm4x4
 
Posts: 619
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Hudsonville

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby c0nsumer » July 2nd, 2011, 11:52 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I am looking to head to Big M this weekend. When I look at the map I see the cross country sections and the red trail that looks to be the mt bike trail. Am I correct in what I am thinking or do you guys ride the XC trails? Also how many miles would I be looking at if I ride the red sections? Any favorite trail routes or not-to-miss features?


You could always ride the Lumberjack 100 route for a nice 33 mile loop.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
Administrator
 
Posts: 8578
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Re:

Postby Mike_D » July 2nd, 2011, 11:02 pm

SlowPoke wrote:

Favorite path.
Click here for the map

:arrow: Park at North parking lot off M55
:arrow: South on NCT past the outer loop at the north end of the system.
:arrow: Continue south on NCT till we hit the Outer Loop at south end (about 4 miles)
:arrow: Left (north east) on Outer Loop till the Fire Tower trail
:arrow: Left on Fire tower (great down hill to Jurassic Park)
:arrow: Left on Jurassic Park
:arrow: Right on Oh Me (This side of Oh Me is not as hard as the name implies)
:arrow: Keep right on all the trail and intersections till you find yourself at the very south end of Catamount
:arrow: Take the very short connector trail from catamount to Outer Loop
:arrow: East on Outer Loop around to the parking lot at the south east side of park
:arrow: From parking lot take Lumberjack north to Camp 24
:arrow: Camp 24 to the West side if Big Wheel for that killer down hill
:arrow: Then that hard to find cut over in the pines over to Antelope

For a guy like me that can’t climb hills for hours at a time this is a great way to see the best the Big M has to offer and still have enough energy to do some more riding or play tennis with the family when I get home. It is a 16 mile ride with all the best downhills (IMO).



I second this route!!!
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 2144
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Mackenzie Pathway

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 5th, 2011, 7:54 pm

volklgirl wrote:FYI: Just because the DNR says something is a "bike trail" doesn't mean it is.

Mackenzie Pathway is totally unrideable (well, OK, it's rideable but seriously not any fun!). It hasn't been mowed or groomed in any way in.....well, probably ever, it's a muddy, swampy mess in many places, and the briar bushes and nettles are knee to hip high.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this one until someone steps up to be a trail coordinator.


I completely agree! My GF and I were up there this weekend to ride Big M (great trail) then we noticed that there was another nearby trail (Mackenzie). I remembered seeing the name on the trail guide section of this site but I didn't remember any particulars (and I wish that I had remembered that volklgirl's post was about this trail). Since I have not been let down before, I figured that if it were good enough to be on MMBA then it should be a good ride. Boy was I wrong. From markers 1-2 it was a beautiful pine forest ride. Between 2-4 we noticed that it started getting overgrown. Well she decided to take the "easy route" (4-20-19-5) and that I would take the harder trail and meet her at 5. I started my journey to marker 5 by un-clipping to step over a tree about 50 yards into the trail. Then I found myself meandering through woods confused because I couldn't tell where the correct route was. The only way I knew where to go was because of the XC markers on the trees and I was constantly portaging over logs. By the time I got to marker 5 (a little over a mile in) I was miserable. I had never given up on a trail before, but this was not a trail, it was an overgrown maze of wilderness.

Well needless to say my GF and I were separated and I couldn't find her for the rest of the ride, so her story ends here (but it went the same as mine). I figured that I would follow the markers and take the most direct route out of this trap they call a trail! There was another mistake! I should have just turned around and retraced my steps because I knew that way was "rideable". But still, I couldn't use the XC markers going the opposite way and it can't get much worse right? WRONG! I wanted the most direct route so I figured it was 5-13-14-19-20-4-3-2-1. I found myself wading through hip high ferns, pickers, with hidden logs laying under the growth. Then there was a spot where the trail was overtaken with a stream so I had to ride alongside the trail through Fern Gully!

By the time I got out I was *beep* and my legs were torn up from thorns and various plants/insects. I got back to the truck and had to wait for my GF to get back with our dog. My first statement was, "That was sweet, can we do it again!? :evil: " With confusion in her eyes she replied, "Your section must have been better than mine was! :? " All I could do was laugh and replay my rant to her.

With all that said, this place does have some potential. If it were ridden more and trimmed often this trail would be adequate. It is signed decently and has great scenery. In it's current state I would say that it hasn't been used since XC season. It is definitely NOT rideable now and I would not attempt this trail at this current time. But with some TLC this trail could be a great ride!



The overgrown sign should have been our first clue:
Image


Here is a picture of the map. If you want a larger version PM me.
Image



Sorry for the rant! *beep*
Bryan
Last edited by LuckyCharm4x4 on July 5th, 2011, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
LuckyCharm4x4
 
Posts: 619
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Hudsonville

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 5th, 2011, 8:10 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I am looking to head to Big M this weekend. When I look at the map I see the cross country sections and the red trail that looks to be the mt bike trail. Am I correct in what I am thinking or do you guys ride the XC trails? Also how many miles would I be looking at if I ride the red sections? Any favorite trail routes or not-to-miss features?


You could always ride the Lumberjack 100 route for a nice 33 mile loop.


I ended up following: Lumberjack :arrow: Camp 24 :arrow: Big Wheel :arrow: Oh Me II :arrow: Double Bit :arrow: Catamount :arrow: Capper's Corner :arrow: Double Bit.

It was an awesome ride. It seemed to me that every trail section started with an incredible downhill and ended with a torrential up-hill (or maybe I was just tired). Still, I logged aver 10 miles and I went home tired and very satisfied. The northern terrain is much more drastic than the downstate trails. I had a great time and I take home a new respect for northern trails!


Thanks Guys, Happy Riding,
Bryan
User avatar
LuckyCharm4x4
 
Posts: 619
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Hudsonville

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby yamaha13 » July 5th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Rode The Big M Saturday, Sunday and Monday what an awesome place
yamaha13
 
Posts: 112
Joined: August 6th, 2007, 8:41 am

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby redrabbit » August 1st, 2011, 7:23 am

I was at Big M this weekend. I saw more riders there then I have ever seen for a "non event" day. A bit more sand then earlier in the year but alway a fun place to ride.

Our group came accros 4 downed trees that required a hike a bike over or around.

1 in the stretch from Point 15 along the downhill to the parking lot.

2 out in the area of Road Monkey and Sky Pilot

1 on the way up to Udell Lookout Tower when we were climbing it from the East.
redrabbit
 
Posts: 218
Joined: November 22nd, 2005, 8:25 pm
Location: The Rapids that are Grand

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby mikesathome2 » August 18th, 2011, 8:09 am

Cranked out about 12miles of the Big-M on Sunday Aug-14th. First time ever to Big-M, and the trail is a blast! It was a little slower pace as we had to stop at each sign so we didnt turn it into an all day bike ride. One large tree right accross the trail, but I have no idea where I was LOL.. other than that, it was riden fast as it rained 2 days before.

Link to the GPS track, I hit 40MPH at some point!!
http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/map#mikesathome/Mountain-Biking/bigM/306114/full
User avatar
mikesathome2
 
Posts: 242
Joined: June 6th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Location: \/\/est Side!

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests