Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

Postby funkydrum » October 8th, 2009, 6:47 pm

McGurk wrote:Big M Trail - this pdf (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hmnf/pages/Recr ... _trail.pdf) says the bike trail is open until September 30. Is this incorrect? I'm a bit confused.

I've ridden this until the snow flies OR Rifle season which is 11/15 I believe. Anyone else chime-in if you know otherwise.
funkydrum

Postby rideskake » November 27th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Can anyone give me an estimate time that it would take to ride from the Nichols Lake North Trailhead to the NCT Schoolhouse? I'm a weekend warrior rider and have hiked most of the trail in the Manistee but would like to do a multiday mountainbike trip in he spring.
Thanks,
Ric
rideskake

Postby bradthemtnbiker » November 29th, 2009, 12:08 am

does anybody know if theres anything manmade on these trails? (jumps, stunts, ladders, Etc.)
bradthemtnbiker

Postby funkydrum » November 29th, 2009, 6:57 am

bradthemtnbiker wrote:does anybody know if theres anything manmade on these trails? (jumps, stunts, ladders, Etc.)

None of the above, just gorgeous singletrack...
funkydrum

Postby SlowPoke » November 30th, 2009, 8:37 am

We are looking at a ride this Saturday some place north of M10.

If we pick up the NCT at Timber Creek trail head, do you guys think it would be open and a good ride heading north?

I have never been on this section of trail and would love some advice. We are staying at Wolf Lake and would not want to drive any further then we need to in order to. The group will be a mix of riders and I would not want to turn any of the new guys off to the sport. Is this area ok to give mnt biking a try?
SlowPoke

Postby RickPlite » November 30th, 2009, 9:58 am

SlowPoke wrote:We are looking at a ride this Saturday some place north of M10.

If we pick up the NCT at Timber Creek trail head, do you guys think it would be open and a good ride heading north?

I have never been on this section of trail and would love some advice. We are staying at Wolf Lake and would not want to drive any further then we need to in order to. The group will be a mix of riders and I would not want to turn any of the new guys off to the sport. Is this area ok to give mnt biking a try?

It is an excellent section to ride. It is open all year so wear bright colors this time of year. Park at the US 10 entrance (Timber Creek Campground) and ride north until you are ready to turn back. The trail does climb gradually the first 1.5-2 miles, which may turn a beginner off, but it is very gradual and well worth the effort. After that the trail is rolling with fun ups and downs. On the return trip some of the up hills are long but again pretty gradual. This section is not as hilly or advanced(off cambered) as the Red Bridge section.
RickPlite

Postby SlowPoke » November 30th, 2009, 10:13 am

Cool.
Thanks Rick. I was going to email you if no one offered any words of wisdom here. :-)

That sounds like a great place to start and we are staying less then 10 miles from that trail head. If the guys know they are in for a long slow climb, that should help them mentally prepare. We will do an out and back so every climb is down hill on the way back. I would rather start with a hill climb then end with one for this group.

Thanks again.

Doug
SlowPoke

Postby bradthemtnbiker » December 4th, 2009, 8:13 pm

funkydrum wrote:
bradthemtnbiker wrote:does anybody know if theres anything manmade on these trails? (jumps, stunts, ladders, Etc.)

None of the above, just gorgeous singletrack...

does anyone know where i could find a trail that had some of that kind of stuff on it (around northern michigan, specificly within 50 miles of Traverse City)?
bradthemtnbiker

Postby volklgirl » December 5th, 2009, 12:18 pm

TC hospital trails, unless they've all been dismantled since I was out there a couple years ago. Boyne Highlands when they're running the lift. 1 jump and 2 log rides on Arcadia Dry Hill Loop, otherwise, NOPE.

The closest you can get to that kind of stuff up here is Midland City Forest, the Greenville trails, Ithaca Jailhouse trail, or Burchfield in Lansing.
volklgirl

Postby bradthemtnbiker » December 5th, 2009, 3:40 pm

volklgirl wrote:TC hospital trails, unless they've all been dismantled since I was out there a couple years ago. Boyne Highlands when they're running the lift. 1 jump and 2 log rides on Arcadia Dry Hill Loop, otherwise, NOPE.

The closest you can get to that kind of stuff up here is Midland City Forest, the Greenville trails, Ithaca Jailhouse trail, or Burchfield in Lansing.

Where are the hospital trails? i know where the hospital is and ive heard about the trails, but i have no idea what part of the hospital there at.
bradthemtnbiker

Postby volklgirl » December 6th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Post up on the Freeride forum. haapf and Creamy should be able to answer your questions. It's been so long, I don't really remember where we found them.
volklgirl

Re: Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford,

Postby Snowybunting » May 26th, 2010, 1:32 pm

A group of us are planning a weekend of mountain biking, and we'll be staying in Farwell. From the glowing reports in this thread, I'd like to try out the NCT but can't really grasp where to start. It seems there is a trailhead in Marilla, which is a little over an hour from where we are staying. Is that the best place to jump on from our locale? We would ride out-and-back as well, about a 40 mile ride?

Sorry if these have been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to find any maps of the trail system. Most links in this thread are 401'd.
Snowybunting

Postby RickPlite » May 26th, 2010, 1:43 pm

go to the trail guide on this website. excellents NCT maps of each section
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby trout_smith » May 26th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Marilla is fantastic! a must ride.

Snowybunting wrote:A group of us are planning a weekend of mountain biking, and we'll be staying in Farwell. From the glowing reports in this thread, I'd like to try out the NCT but can't really grasp where to start. It seems there is a trailhead in Marilla, which is a little over an hour from where we are staying. Is that the best place to jump on from our locale? We would ride out-and-back as well, about a 40 mile ride?

Sorry if these have been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to find any maps of the trail system. Most links in this thread are 401'd.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby Snowybunting » May 26th, 2010, 1:53 pm

RickPlite wrote:go to the trail guide on this website. excellents NCT maps of each section

OK, thanks. Yep, I found them. I had looked at the NCT trails in the trail guide, but the map showed way over by highway 31, so I skipped it. Thanks for the quick reply.
Snowybunting

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions