Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Huron-Manistee National Forest: NCT, Big-M, Hungerford, etc.

Postby Todd Scott » April 2nd, 2004, 1:12 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for trails located within the Huron-Manistee National Forest
Todd Scott

Current conditions

Postby kblakeyshell » April 12th, 2004, 1:48 pm

The trails are in all open and most if not all of the big logs are removed. However, the trails have tons of leaves on them and there are lots of small derailleur eating sticks. We are working on getting the trail cleaned up but it is going to take us awhile. I will be posting breif updates about trail conditions on this site and more detailed information will be at http://www.honoredstudents.org/bbudell/.
kblakeyshell

Shanty Boy (the Poplars) is free of leaves!

Postby kblakeyshell » April 13th, 2004, 6:44 am

We got out last night and raked Shanty Boy and the Bonus Run. Hope to be clearing up Sky Pilot (*beep* berms) and the Firetower Trail in the next week. Enjoy!!
kblakeyshell

Segment C ..

Postby MusicManBikingAimlessly » April 19th, 2004, 11:30 pm

Friday afternoon I drove up to Baldwin and rode the NCT from 56th Street to M10.. A few trees down across the trail starting about 2 miles into the ride. Most of the fallen trees can easily be removed by 2 or 3 people while the bigger trees will have to be cut with chain saws... Overall, it was a great 19 mile ride! :D

I'll be riding Timber Creek, Freesoil, & Udell soon and will post trail conditions on those rides as well...
Last edited by MusicManBikingAimlessly on April 19th, 2004, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be nice to the people on the ride up, you'll likely see them on your way back down!
MusicManBikingAimlessly

Re: Current conditions

Postby MusicManBikingAimlessly » April 19th, 2004, 11:36 pm

kblakeyshell wrote:The trails are in all open and most if not all of the big logs are removed. However, the trails have tons of leaves on them and there are lots of small derailleur eating sticks. We are working on getting the trail cleaned up but it is going to take us awhile. I will be posting breif updates about trail conditions on this site and more detailed information will be at http://www.honoredstudents.org/bbudell/.

I hear ya! I was out 2 weeks ago on the M20 section and was barely more than a mile into the ride when one of those freekin' sticks jumped up out of the leaves and snapped the derailleur clean off of my bike! :shock:
Last edited by MusicManBikingAimlessly on April 19th, 2004, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be nice to the people on the ride up, you'll likely see them on your way back down!
MusicManBikingAimlessly

Postby MusicManBikingAimlessly » April 19th, 2004, 11:44 pm

After getting my derailleur hanger replaced, I went back and rode Segment E of the NCT north from M20 to Loda Lake. Overall, the trail is in good condition until about 2.2 miles into the ride where there are 2 big ass trees down across the trail. The first tree has an improvised and jagged little detour to the left of the tree. The trail then crosses a 2 track and into a small open meadow. When re-entering the forest is where the 2nd downed tree is. This pine tree is very large and there is no easy way of detouring around it because of other trees and heavy brush. It's going to have to be opened back up with chain saws.

Postby Gripshift » April 21st, 2004, 8:07 am

I hear ya! I was out 2 weeks ago on the M20 section and was barely more than a mile into the ride when one of those freekin' sticks jumped up out of the leaves and snapped the derailleur clean off of my bike! :shock:[/quote]

I have had that happen twice, always seems to be a fall ride. That's why I use XT rear derailleurs they are cheaper to replace. :D
Bikes are great! http://bmxmuseum.com/
Gripshift

Postby MusicManBikingAimlessly » April 21st, 2004, 11:52 am

Gripshift wrote:I hear ya! I was out 2 weeks ago on the M20 section and was barely more than a mile into the ride when one of those freekin' sticks jumped up out of the leaves and snapped the derailleur clean off of my bike!
I have had that happen twice, always seems to be a fall ride. That's why I use XT rear derailleurs they are cheaper to replace. :D

:shock:[/quote]

I have been riding mountain bikes since 1995 and have only had this happen once.... Right now I'm happily riding a Giant NRS 2 with grip and an XT rear derailleur... :D
MusicManBikingAimlessly

Big M Trails/Udell Hills website

Postby Sixty-Six » June 8th, 2004, 4:50 pm

There isn't a map for the Big M here, so visit this site for some great detailed info. Some nice maps with topography! Great job on the site!

http://www.honoredstudents.org/bbudell/ ... ptions.htm
Sixty-Six

Postby Todd Scott » June 8th, 2004, 5:30 pm

I've added these Big M links to our Trail Guide.
Todd Scott

Thanks for the link

Postby Sixty-Six » June 8th, 2004, 9:44 pm

Thanks for setting up the link for Udell Hills. Rode those for the first time this weekend and hit most.. but I wish I could have hit the old Off-Camber, Oh My's and Big Wheel, but was with a bunch of guys even newer to MTB than me. the East-->West Double bit uphill wore them out early... Nice trails and some good crunches up hills. The best view that I saw was at Capper's Corner, but I didn't hit FireTower trail. Next time. Enjoying your forums and tips... thanks for the site!

:) Ride on.
Sixty-Six

Big M in great shape

Postby blamp28 » June 21st, 2004, 10:32 am

Took two sons to Big M on Saturday, 6/19. What a great day! I love this system. There is a nice mix of trails and the weather in usually a little cool. Bring plenty of bug spray though. The bugs are big and plentifull.
blamp28

Postby jozwikjp » July 19th, 2004, 11:09 am

Rode NCT up by st ignace MI. on Saturday the 17th. Trail is in good condition. Short walk through a swamp and thats it. Hardly any brush or trees down.
:D
jozwikjp

Postby James Taylor » July 22nd, 2004, 11:39 am

There is a tree down on the Double Bit by a two-track. Also, there are two trees down on the Catamont just after the begining. They were too large and long to move aside.

The trail was fast and the sand was packed.

Waterboy
James Taylor

Postby Todd Scott » December 21st, 2004, 12:43 pm

Note that the NCT Marilla trailhead will remain temporarily closed until March 1st rather than December 1st. According to the Forest Service, "the logger started at another compartment first. The only snowplowed trail access is the parking lot at High Bridge on the Manistee River, if one wanted to ski or snowshoe along the NCT. "

More info at http://mmba.org/viewtopic.php?p=117278#117278
Todd Scott

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments