Northern: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northern: Other trails

Postby volklgirl » September 14th, 2010, 10:06 am

The work out at Cadillac Pathways is moving along. The only things left for this year are the final clearing of the alternate route at 8, and the reroute/trail closure on the bottom half of the downhill coming into 6 from 5. The full report and pics can be found here: http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99253

Next year's projects will include a reroute around the sand pit at 3, headed to 4, among other things. If you have additional suggestions, please let me know.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby detroitjohnny » March 17th, 2011, 10:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

no riding anytime soon for the VASA singletrack. Snow is down quite a bit, but there's still a good 6".
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby freeheal2005 » April 5th, 2011, 4:05 pm

gonna be north this weekend. anyone know if vasa single track is snow free and rideable yet?
slow and low that is the tempo
freeheal2005

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » April 5th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Not yet
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » April 5th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Mostly back road rambling right now. A small amount of single track is open seems like closer to the river the more clear it is. Its been mid to upper 30s and sunny today. Group ride tomorrow night in Kalkaska hope to get a little deeper in to the woods, will have to see. Right now its just been hit and miss
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby detroitjohnny » April 5th, 2011, 8:54 pm

freeheal2005 wrote:gonna be north this weekend. anyone know if vasa single track is snow free and rideable yet?

Not even close. It will be at least a week from now IF we get some warm days and a day or two of rain. Yesterday morning there was 4-5 inches of snow still at the VASA singletrack trailhead.

Johnny
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby freeheal2005 » April 6th, 2011, 5:59 am

cool. thanks for the info. may just bring the road bike
slow and low that is the tempo
freeheal2005

Postby detroitjohnny » April 14th, 2011, 5:29 am

VASA singletrack is ready to ride. Other than 2 or 3 trees that are too large to move it is clear and ready to go. Get on out and ride!! 8)
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby bellancal » June 7th, 2011, 6:00 am

Hi all,

I was lookingto plan a trip and do the Black Mountain trails in the next month. Can anyone give an update on these trails? Is there a map available anywhere? Also, the tc email does not seem to be valid anymore. Thanks.
bellancal

Postby girl chaser » June 7th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Bellancal:
I know every inch of that trail.
We have a cottage on Black Lake and have had the use of the trais on Black Mountain essentially to ourselves for many years. 30+ miles of trails, lots of good climbing, many ride options and beautiful forrests. We rarely see anyone on the trail. Sound too good to be true? It is becomming so.
Lately, local horseback riders have discovered the trails and use a portion of the main loops regularly. With all the sand up there, they really screw things up. Some days, the hoof marks are so bad it feel like riding down long flights of stairs on a rigid frame.
There has also been some logging activity in the last year and it is continuing this Spring. There are huge ruts in those areas from the skidders.
Needless to say, what was, until recently, our perfect trail system, is now more a matter of heading out there to see what is rideable. That said, it still is fun and a majority of the trail is still good.
There shold be a map on the Black Mountain trail guide site. I would be happy to suggest loops and "secret spots" to avoid the above problems. Also, my wife and I are up there most weekends in the summer and could give you a tour if you are up when we are.
girl chaser

Postby djansen00 » July 6th, 2011, 10:53 am

I'm going to be up in the Gaylord area all next week and want to finally try the North Country Pathway. It's a shame, I grew up in Gaylord and still haven't done this yet. Any way, I'll have mostly just evenings free...so a few hours available for riding. What's a good option for me if I have 2-3 hours to check it out? I may have an entire afternoon/evening one day but not sure yet.
Dave
Wheels in Motion Racing - http://wimracing.org
Dirty Dropouts Email Ride List - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dirtydropouts
djansen00

Postby slickroper » July 8th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Dave,

Shingle Mill fits your criteria exactly. I would strongly recommend you check out that loop. It's a bit east of Vanderbilt so it's close and accessible. Fun trail with a short and longer loop options. Really fun wood plank path over the swamp near the end. Be careful because it can get slippery.

Happy riding!

[url]http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_trailguide&task=trail&cid[]=54[/url]
slickroper

Postby blamp28 » August 24th, 2011, 11:01 am

Is there access to the VASA system from Holiday road? I want to ride from the State Park campground to the singletrack loop this way with minimal auto traffic. I know I can pick up the TART right at the campground and head East to Holiday. Any input from locals or thos familiar with this would be appreciated.
blamp28

Postby Mack » October 21st, 2011, 8:49 am

Rode the VASA single track loop Wednesday morning the trail is riding great right now no trees down and the
colors are awesome. In the Traverse City area 75% of the leaves are still on the trees.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby owosso bob » November 6th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Rode the Vasa Single Track last Friday and it was in really good shape . They have done some changing since I rode it in June , glad I cut my handle bars down some , pretty tight in some spots . The trail also is 15 miles long now and very well marked . A special thanks to the people that are working on these trails .
owosso bob

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments