Northern: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northern: Other trails

Postby elsievo » May 26th, 2009, 10:09 pm

All trails at Swedetown have been cleared of deadfalls and are now open and in great condition. (Thanks Rick, Pat & Jeff)
Work has begun on the Farmer's Well segment and will hopefully be completed before the Great Deer Chase.
Planning and begging has begun for the bike park in Calumet. May get the pump track and some skills features in this season.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
A practicing Creationist . . . because trails are not a product of evolution.
elsievo

Postby volklgirl » July 6th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Cadillac Pathways has a big tree down across the singletrack right at the Y at ~5.5. There's already the beginnings of a go-around off to the left.
volklgirl

Chip Hills

Postby RobM » July 26th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Rode Chippewa Hills on Monday (7/20) morn. Trail is in good shape. Only one small tree was over one of the single track sections. The 2-track ski trail sections were mowed. Fun trail. Thanks to Thunder Bay Trails Association for keeping it in good shape!
RobM

Postby detroitjohnny » August 11th, 2009, 3:58 pm

rode the Hanson Hills outer-outer loop this morning. trail was in good shape, just a tad wet in some of the corners. probably even dry by now.... there were a few new trees down from the storms saturday/sunday. I cleared what I could, which was all but 1. On the new outer loop, right after you cross the two track and can see M-93 for the first time (riding counter clockwise about mile 9) there is a big tree that will need a saw. I cleared all of the loose stuff from it, but couldn't get that one.

New outer loop could use some more riders!!!

johnny
detroitjohnny

Postby drmoorejr » August 13th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Anyone in Marquette interested in a ride tomorrow at the South Marquette Mtn trail? (I think thats what its called) ... Its 4.5 miles from the hotel I am at.
drmoorejr

Postby drmoorejr » August 14th, 2009, 5:11 pm

South Marquette Trails: Carp River Loop, Marquette Mtn and the other trails are AWESOME! I think I want to stay here in Marquette forever!
drmoorejr

VASA Singletrack

Postby Irish57 » September 5th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Got a chance to get north friday Sep. 4 to ride the VASA singletrack and it was a gas!! The weather was perfect. Sunny 75 and no humidity. The reroute at post 16 was a surprise because of supposed logging. It was tight and twisty but not too bad. Just a change in focus. I wish I could ride this trail a lot more!
Irish57

Postby black2003ss » September 8th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Rode Hartwick Pines this past Monday. It was dry as a bone and well trimmed. We gave it a go because my fiance is a beginner and was not feeling ready for hanson hills. After riding Hartwick, evens he wishes we tried Hanson instead. Hartwick is all two track all the way. No roots, no single track, no rocks etc. We were somewhat excited when we parked at the loggin museum and saw a nice climb starting out of the parking lot. That was it, it was flat for the next 3-4 miles and then it got a little rolling/hilly with some nice sized climbs with tons of sand. If you want to just cruise and do laps with climbs to get your heart rate up a little bit, this is the place. Also great for novice's or families with kids who arent ready for the intermediate/advanced stuff elsewhere. There is so much potential for some really nice single track back there though.
black2003ss

High Country Pathway

Postby agfrag » October 19th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Did the Shingle Mill trail a couple weeks ago, and this got me intrigued about the High Country Pathway.

80 miles, and an IMBA Epic! Wow. If Shingle is a taste of the High Country, I am impressed.

So, I ordered the map of the trail, and now have it in my head to make this a lifetime goal, to ride the entire 80 miles, in one day, by the time I reach 55 years of age. I'm 52 now.

Am I nuts? Or is it possible to do this in one day? Has anyone done this trail in a day? What was it like? Were you able to carry enough water and food to get you through, or did you have to cache it? Or have help from friends? Any tips? preperation suggestions?

I'm really geeked by this, and would like to hear of anyone's experiences.
agfrag

Postby elsievo » October 20th, 2009, 6:46 am

A local up here rode the Tech trails, rode over to Maasto and Churning Rapids, then took the snowmobile trail up to Swedetown and rode most of the singletrack there. His total mileage was 88 or 89 miles. It can be done. The same guy organizes a "Peaks Tour" where they climb to the top of numerous hills in the area, Brockway Mountain, Bare Bluff, Mt. Houghton, Mt Bohemia are a few of the ones they tackle. Don't know what the mileage is but it is an all day affair.

It can be done. Good luck and enjoy the ride. Thanks for the inspiration.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
A practicing Creationist . . . because trails are not a product of evolution.
elsievo

Postby detroitjohnny » November 15th, 2009, 10:24 am

VASA singletrack is nice and fast. It is open all the way, the logging in the area seems to be done for the most part. couple of places have ruts from the loggin equipment but no biggie.

Looks like we've got one more nice (for mid November) week, so lets use it and enjoy the trails!!!

johnny
detroitjohnny

Cadillac Pathways Reroutes

Postby volklgirl » November 16th, 2009, 2:09 pm

I've gotten the OK to reroute the section of Cadillac Pathways along the river where you have to ride on the access road through the giant sand pits (between marker 7 and the Boon Rd parking lot). I've also been asked to scout a possible reroute or drainage solution for the deep sand pit between markers 5 & 6 (just before the singletrack section).

If anyone wants to scout/mark/work on this with me, I'd appreciate it.

The guy in charge of the DNR Recreation division up here seems to be really receptive to bike traffic and volunteer work, and that's a GOOD thing! He also asked to be advised if there are any issues with the loggers at the VASA and was particularly concerned with the trail condition in the logging area.
volklgirl

Re: Cadillac Pathways Reroutes

Postby Creamy » January 25th, 2010, 11:39 am

volklgirl wrote:I've gotten the OK to reroute the section of Cadillac Pathways along the river where you have to ride on the access road through the giant sand pits (between marker 7 and the Boon Rd parking lot). I've also been asked to scout a possible reroute or drainage solution for the deep sand pit between markers 5 & 6 (just before the singletrack section).

If anyone wants to scout/mark/work on this with me, I'd appreciate it.

The guy in charge of the DNR Recreation division up here seems to be really receptive to bike traffic and volunteer work, and that's a GOOD thing! He also asked to be advised if there are any issues with the loggers at the VASA and was particularly concerned with the trail condition in the logging area.

How is the Cadillac trail? Havent ridden it in years, seems like I always missed the singletrack and just ended up on the ski trail which wasnt much fun. Worth a re-visit?
Copper Ridge Riders Association:
Creamy

Postby volklgirl » March 11th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Meh.....given that you're closer to both VASA and Arcadia, I'd say no. However, if you're headed this direction, just let me know and I'd be happy to give you the grand tour of all the singletrack, as long as you don't mind going sllllloooooooowwwwwwww. :D
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby Creamy » March 12th, 2010, 10:23 am

haha, i like slow! its my favorite. let ya know if i make it down there, thanks C
Copper Ridge Riders Association:
Creamy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments