Northern: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby largemelon » August 18th, 2008, 11:50 am

We rode the Copper Harbor trails on the 13th and I must say they are a mix of good, bad, and "you've got to be kidding me." We started out on Paul's Plunge leading into the Kamikazee trail. Paul did plunge, quite a bit I must say, and the Kamikazee shouldn't even allow biking on it. The roots are just a joke. The Red Trail wasn't too bad if you started out at the Mountain Lodge. Good luck if you hit the start from the west side of it (real steep). The Ma Maki and the Blue Trail were the last trails we hit and weren't too bad. The wealth of rocks managed to bend my rear derailer a bit but the bike was still rideable. I'm sure there are many trails that we didn't hit, more towards the Brockway Drive area. A tough trail but I was expecting what I saw.
largemelon

Postby lawst » August 19th, 2008, 8:59 am

Rode VASA for the first time on Saturday. WOW! This trail was great. Fast, flowy, with some technical areas. One of our party had two impressive falls. Additionally, we saw a critter. It had gray fur, white face, bigger than a coyote. Pretty sure it was a gray wolf, but not 100%.

I wish I lived closer than 4 hours from this trail. I would ride it on a very regular basis.
That which does not kill me ... makes me walk funny
lawst

escanaba and iron mountain area

Postby sparky » August 21st, 2008, 1:42 pm

Anyone ridden anything in those areas lately that could give some insight? Will be there this weekend. Thanks!!!!

Sparky
sparky

Hanson Hills (NEW TRAIL COMPLETED)

Postby HansonHills » August 25th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Hey everyone... We just completed the new outer loop section..!!! You will acess the trail system the same as normal follow the outer loop section for 2 miles then you will come to another "NEW outer loop section.. If you choose to take it you are commited to that section for 6-7miles(not yet mapped or measured)... It is a culmination of fresh "virgin" singletrack, and some old game trails and two tracks... YOU will end up at #7 (top of the campground or Ski hill return.. Please, help us break in this trail!! It will be slower for a while, but the more traffic the faster it will get... I have most of the intersections marked with yellow/black arrow signs, also we left orange flagging up on the trail.. You shouldn't have any problem following this new section...

Thanks again Northern Chapter and All the Volunteers that helped to blaze in this new section...

See you at the Bike Festival this weekend..
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Steve Prefontaine
HansonHills

Postby HansonHills » August 28th, 2008, 8:59 am

Hey everyone.. I have ridden the new "outer loop" the last two days.. It actually rides really well.. Not as soft as one would think for virgin trail.. a complete loop is 11.3 miles (using ski hill return). We added a total of 6.7 miles of new trail.. Like I mentioned before, you will use the first 3.5 miles of original outer loop, then you will have a choice to ride the new section. Remember this section is 6.7miles long, it uses gametrails, old two tracks and fresh cut singletrack.. There is no short-cut back (unless you are me an know your way via two tracks). The trail rides really well for only being a few days old.. There are some fallen trees that you will have to ride over. We havent had a chance to make the trail "perfect yet"...sorry... Please get out and help ride in this trail..
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Steve Prefontaine
HansonHills

black mountain trails

Postby james_kovacik » September 7th, 2008, 4:51 am

Me and my son rode black mountain in mid august, it was great! sandy in spots, as you expect in northern michigan, and the climb can be tough, but well worth it! cant wait to return!
james_kovacik

Swedetown

Postby elsievo » September 19th, 2008, 10:10 am

The Uff Da Loop at Swedetown is open, for those looking for a challenge. Anyone who enjoys Pow Pow at Churning Rapids will love this technical loop.

Take the Uff Da is off the Porcupine loop which is off Lakeview Loop on the west end of the trail system. See Cross Country Sports for maps.
Marc
aka Mattockman
___
A practicing Creationist . . . because trails are not a product of evolution.
elsievo

Ogemaw Hills Pathway

Postby stasz » September 19th, 2008, 4:14 pm

I rode this today and it is dry. There are about 3 or 4 trees down across the trail and they will need a chainsaw.
stasz

Postby Irish57 » September 21st, 2008, 3:48 pm

I rode VASA Single track on Friday and had a great time. Just a question if anyone knows. Was the trail from post 15 to 16 a reroute or a new part of the trail? Thanks.
Irish57

How'd my name get on this trail?

Postby dirtpo » September 22nd, 2008, 9:14 am

I see that somehow a comment I made 2 yrs ago on the Midland City Forest trail is up as the latest trail coordinator assessment of Bruno's Run. The trail is 6 hours from me and I'm not the TC. I've ridden it once -- nice trail -- but hoped to learn something new about it.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Postby freeheal2005 » September 22nd, 2008, 9:36 am

Irish57 wrote:I rode VASA Single track on Friday and had a great time. Just a question if anyone knows. Was the trail from post 15 to 16 a reroute or a new part of the trail? Thanks.

the area around 15 is supposed to be logged some time in the future.
slow and low that is the tempo
freeheal2005

Postby bleve » October 26th, 2008, 2:37 pm

My wife and I rode the six mile loop of the Shingle Mill Pathway on Friday 10/24. It was a great ride even though most of the color was gone and lots of the trail was covered in leaves. I'm guessing other groups maintain the trail but I wanted to warm of at least two trees down that require dismounting. One is at the bottom of a nice hill after the HQ, the other is near the top of the climb after you cross the road after the campground. The boardwalk was also quite slick and leaf covered but doable as long as you concentrated. A great ride although I'd be dubious about the conditions after the rain we've had the past couple days.
bleve

GPS File of High Country Pathway

Postby Brian Y » December 10th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Just curious if anybody has done the High Country Pathway in its entirety. I am looking to do it Fall of 09 and would love some feedback of what to bring and how to budget my time.

Also anybody have a GPS file of this, or a PDF map that I can break down a little more.

Thanks for your help.

Brian
Brian Y

Re: Northern: Other trails

Postby shades9323 » April 17th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Is the Vasa singletrack open yet?
shades9323

Re: Northern: Other trails

Postby detroitjohnny » April 28th, 2009, 12:59 pm

shades9323 wrote:Is the Vasa singletrack open yet?

yes. I've ridden it a number of times already and it is clear and dry. plenty of leaves, but all of the snow is gone. I've moved as many of trees that were down as I can. Only one hike a bike left, somewhere around marker 9 or 10.... one other tree is sticking out into the trail somewhere around 16 or so.

riding it again tonight!

johnny
detroitjohnny

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions