Western: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Bigtymer » November 29th, 2008, 11:52 am

Pigeon Creek just south of Grand Haven in West Olive
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Bigtymer » November 29th, 2008, 12:47 pm

So according to the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department and the signs at Pigeon Creek. Mountain bikes are not aloud at this trail!!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby beyrle » November 29th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Rode Riley Trails today, think I was following Duotones tracks from earlier. Got a nice flow going there. Lots O' sand in spots. Can't wait to get out there for trail days.
beyrle

Postby choppe » November 29th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Bigtymer wrote:So according to the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department and the signs at Pigeon Creek. Mountain bikes are not aloud at this trail!!

Bikes are allowed during the summer, they groom the trails for cross country skiing during the winter. Head over and ride Bass River it is pretty close by and doesn't close.
choppe

Re:

Postby sworks88 » March 19th, 2009, 11:31 am

[quote="sworks88"][quote="paydirt_07"][quote="duotone"]I'd like to see ASGA have its own page on the trail conditions site if possible.... just a thought.

How's the conditions?

Thinking of heading out there today, 3pm if anyone's up for it.[/quote]

I agree to ASGA having its own page.

I'd bet that it drains well, except maybe down by that creek area.[/quote]

Put my vote in for the ASGA thread as well. Duotone, we got a ton of rain over the weekend....but the trail is sand based. Paydirt is right....the trail should drain good except for the low area on the south loop. I rode Yankee last night and you couldnt even tell that it rained. :wink:
[/quote]

Moderators? Can you please please please break ASGA out into is own thread. I promise to use it wisely!!!!
sworks88

Re: Western: Other trails

Postby sworks88 » March 22nd, 2009, 6:55 pm

Took my daughter out to Allegan SGA today. The trail is totally covered with leaves...but completly rideable. Megan didnt like the hills...but she made it the entire south loop. She hated the prickers! They were everywhere....about the only thing green.
sworks88

Postby kayakpete » April 25th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Greetings -

We did the outer loop of Pigeon Creek today.

http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_trailguide&task=trail&cid=81
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/united-states/mi/holland/234124068806318533

I've not ridden these trails before, so I have nothing to compare to. There were two hikers, and one other pair of bikers. Pretty quiet, so we could go fast (but didn't). No mud, and the sand pits seemed minimal to me.

The big hill has a warning about loose sand at the bottom. We didn't find that.

I hope this helps!
kayakpete

Postby beyrle » May 5th, 2009, 9:07 am

Went out to Riley Trails here in Holland....HOLY bring your KAYAK!!!! Lots of the trail is underwater as of today. It is just amazing how we dont have a trail system like the East Side of the state does.
beyrle

Postby sworks88 » May 5th, 2009, 11:07 am

beyrle wrote:It is just amazing how we dont have a trail system like the East Side of the state does.

Yankee Springs, Fort Custer, Allegan SGA, TK Lawless......all rideable.
sworks88

Postby beyrle » May 6th, 2009, 8:09 pm

I agree we do have trails on the west side but the drive from Holland to get there and the amount of unused wooded land...AKA Consumers Electric property...has the potential for a Metropark-like situation.
beyrle

Postby kayakpete » May 6th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Agreed. There is a lot of undeveloped public land around Holland. If Park township can build a skatepark, they should be able to put together a nice mountain bike trail as well.

Are there enough advocates in Holland to work on a project similar to Lutton park?
kayakpete

Postby Guppie » May 11th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Did GR park just to check it out. Underwater. There should be no lable for intermediate section, it's all easy. There are some hills but nothing you'll really notice. Not sure how big this land is but could be a good spot to expand (assuming there's room). I couldn't go on much of it due to flooding. It may not look like its wet, but when your tires sink to the bottom bracket it will surprise you.
Guppie

Postby Mud_Blaster » May 11th, 2009, 5:41 pm

beyrle wrote:Went out to Riley Trails here in Holland....HOLY bring your KAYAK!!!! Lots of the trail is underwater as of today. It is just amazing how we dont have a trail system like the East Side of the state does.

yeah, i was out there saturday. seemed like the inner trails would've been okay, but it was my first time there and i don't know the trails at all over there. are there any group rides or anything ever at the riley trails?
Mud_Blaster

Postby paydirt_07 » May 13th, 2009, 9:35 am

sworks,
Have you ridden ASGA lately?
I haven't been down there yet this year and was wondering about the conditions.
Appreciate your input.
paydirt_07

Postby sworks88 » May 13th, 2009, 10:09 am

I was out there early in the year....and it was OK. I got a flat...but the pricker population is huge out there. If you want to ride some time give me a yell and I will ride.
sworks88

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments