Western: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Travis W. » June 23rd, 2008, 10:40 am

just did 3 laps at Al Sabo...as beautiful as ever!
Oh God, my shoulder!
Travis W.

Postby SpecialK » June 23rd, 2008, 12:20 pm

The Kalamazoo Bicycle Club has added a group ride at Al Sabo on select Tuesday nights during the summer. The rides are begin tomorrow evening and will also take place on 7/8, 7/22, 8/12, and 8/26. We will be meeting at the Texas Drive Park, just SW of the Al Sabo parking lot on Texas Drive, at 6:15 if anyone wants to join us.

After a few battles with my mower, the fields have finally been mowed and storm downed trees have been removed. The trail should be in excellent condition.
SpecialK

Postby pugman » June 23rd, 2008, 1:35 pm

Thanks Special K, was there last night, the trails in great shape :D
AYHSMB.....BikesnobNYC
pugman

Postby x98myers7 » June 25th, 2008, 4:02 pm

excellent, i'm hoping to get out there soon. that big tree on the atwater loop must have been a pain.

anyone have "lap" times? my last loop was 7.1miles and just over 26mins.
x98myers7

Postby kbankes » July 5th, 2008, 8:34 pm

Not sure what I was to expect at Allegan SGA, but I think there is work to do before it is rideable. Trail south of 118th street requires determination and plenty exposed skin protection. My calves were being shredded by the thorned trail growth. Trail north of 118th (what I could follow) was wide flat double track. Lost my way several times and the GPS paid for itself. Mosquitos were wicked and kept me moving.
kbankes

Postby sworks88 » July 8th, 2008, 12:52 pm

kbankes wrote:Not sure what I was to expect at Allegan SGA, but I think there is work to do before it is rideable. Trail south of 118th street requires determination and plenty exposed skin protection. My calves were being shredded by the thorned trail growth. Trail north of 118th (what I could follow) was wide flat double track. Lost my way several times and the GPS paid for itself. Mosquitos were wicked and kept me moving.

I have to agree. choppe and I rode friday morning and my legs are torn to shreds. The trail is totally unrideable. :cry: :cry:
Redefining SLOW one agonizing pedal stroke at a time.

http://singletrackchronicles.blogspot.com/
sworks88

Postby oldmanron » September 2nd, 2008, 10:12 pm

There is a trail work day at the ASGA this Saturday. Meet at the DNR HQ at 118th ave and 46th ST. at 9AM. Lunch provided. RSVP to this forum if you plan to attend.
oldmanron

Postby MSGT » September 3rd, 2008, 12:07 pm

Trying to get a little more active within the organization, might make it what will you be doing and for how long? What tools would be good to bring if I have them?
Ride Free, Live Free, Find GOD
MSGT

Postby sworks88 » September 5th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Ron,

I will be there with two of my kids. Like MSGT said what shoud we bring?

sworks88

Postby John_H » September 5th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Just wanted to say Hi to Ron and thanks for all you are doing. I met you long ago - I'm a friend of Dave Klein. Happy to hear you are working on the allegan trails. I believe there is huge potential out there waiting to be tapped in to. Thanks for all you hard work Ron!!!
Cheers. John
John_H

Postby oldmanron » September 6th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone who came out for the trail day today. A special thanks to Mike Connor, owner of Honeytree Nursury and Landscaping (Bradley, MI) for bringing out your Bobcat and volunteering your time.

We got alot done today. The south loop was completely cleared of windfalls, brush, and face-slappers, and was completely mowed as well, Ditto for the short part of the north loop. The clear-cut area that has been so sandy has been topped with wood chips to inprove the surface and provide soil structure in the future.

The riding should be nice out there for the rest of the fall.

Now about the rest of the North loop..............another day and it could be done.
oldmanron

Postby oldmanron » September 6th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone who came out for the trail day today. A special thanks to Mike Connor, owner of Honeytree Nursury and Landscaping (Bradley, MI) for bringing out your Bobcat and volunteering your time.

We got alot done today. The south loop was completely cleared of windfalls, brush, and face-slappers, and was completely mowed as well, Ditto for the short part of the north loop. The clear-cut area that has been so sandy has been topped with wood chips to improve the surface and provide soil structure in the future.

The riding should be nice out there for the rest of the fall.

Now about the rest of the North loop..............another day and it could be done.
oldmanron

Postby sworks88 » September 8th, 2008, 11:33 am

Ron,

After walking the entire south loop on Saturday....I am going to drag my son out there tonight (monday) for a lap to see how it rides. I was impressed with the turnout at the trail day.....especially with all of the western chapter spread out across west Michigan.

Thanks,
Sean (and zack)

I will let you know how it rides!

sworks88

Al Sabo - Area of Glass on Trail

Postby mi scusi » September 9th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Greetings,

While riding Al Sabo last Sunday (Sept 7) a buddy and I came across an area of glass about 1/4 mi into Atwater. It was about 20ft long and covered most of the trail. We spent about 20 min picking it up. Luckily neither one of us had a flat. Some of the pieces were pretty deep. I had ridden the trail on Friday and certain it wasn't there. All the pieces were of different colors which makes me think the glass was brought there. I do not get it.
And the flowers are still standing!!
mi scusi

Postby shoe » September 11th, 2008, 12:53 pm

Does the Allegan State Game Area stay open to riding thruout the hunting seasons? A thread concerning CSGA states that all game areas close for hunting season but there is no mention of that here concerning Allegan.
shoe

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments