Western: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Other trails

Postby paydirt_07 » May 13th, 2009, 10:17 am

I know what you mean about the prickers. I've had a flat the last 2 or 3 times there. I'm not sure when I'll be down there, but I'll post or pm to let you know.
If you're interested, me & 2 other guys are heading to Ft Custer on Fri. morning (took day off). Planning on being there about 10:30ish.
paydirt_07

Postby sworks88 » May 13th, 2009, 10:42 am

oh yeah......let me see what I can do.
sworks88

Allegan SGA (5/17/09)

Postby BugNut » May 20th, 2009, 8:39 am

Rode Allegan SGA southern loop on 5/17/09. Conditions are perfect except for a pond over the trail between trail marker "M" and 116th avenue. Too big to ride or hike around, had to back-track. A few branches on the trail, I removed some of the big ones. No trees on the trails. No prickers/bryers yet. Trail was well marked with blue blazes thanks to some volunteers last fall.

Jon Marshall
South Haven, MI
BugNut

Postby tokomojo » June 5th, 2009, 6:04 am

Rode Allegan SGA for the first time last night. Not what I expected. I only rode a small loop a few times so I did not see much of the trail. Is there more technical sections anywere? A good workout, but felt like this was just overgrown two track for the most part. Any suggestions on loops to take?
tokomojo

Postby sworks88 » June 5th, 2009, 8:28 am

There are really no technical sections. There is a north loop...and it dumps out on 118th street. The south loop where I think letter A is you go south...and it leads you on a 5 mile loop back to letter A. There is a low lying section that is quite a ways out....and I heard that it was not passable, however I am not sure.

I live right down the road.....let me know when you are riding and I can show you around.
sworks88

Postby kayakpete » August 28th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Is this the map for the Allegan SGA trails?

http://www.michigantrails.us/michigan-t ... ctrail.pdf

If it looks good, we should get the webmaster to post it up to the trail page.

I've never ridden this.
kayakpete

Postby paydirt_07 » August 29th, 2009, 11:54 am

kayakpete wrote:Is this the map for the Allegan SGA trails?

http://www.michigantrails.us/michigan-t ... ctrail.pdf

If it looks good, we should get the webmaster to post it up to the trail page.

I've never ridden this.

Yup, that's the ASGA trail.
Last time I rode there, was about 1 month ago. I only had time to ride the south loop. It was very rideable, until the low-lying area (about 4 miles in) where the trail was flooded over. I didn't try to hike around, but doubled back. Not sure if this area dried up yet. Maybe sworks or Ron, the TC, would have better input.
paydirt_07

Postby sworks88 » August 29th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Honestly.....I havent ridden out there since early spring....so I have no clue. This trail is just around the corner but I find it difficult to ride because I have had a flat every time I rode there this year. It still needs a lot of work.
sworks88

Postby RickPlite » September 17th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Rode Hungerford Lake National Forest Rec Area trail today, 9-17-09. The NFS has done a great job of marking the entire trail with yellow arrows. No need to carry a map anymore! The trail was all clear of deadfall with just minor twigs and leaves covering the trail. This is a fun trail system that gets little respect due to location and horse use near by. In my 9 mile travels today I only saw evidence of horses on the mtb trail in three or four 50 yard sections, one or two of those are actually shared use anyway, so they are obeying the signs pretty good. While this isn't a well worn in path such as CSGA or Luton it is still fun. Reminds me of seldom used sections on NCT or Big M 7-10 years ago. Check it out if you pass through Big Rapids sometime. It could use the traffic. I took some photos, check them out here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernmmba/sets/72157617359678164/
RickPlite

Postby Mike_D » September 21st, 2009, 11:55 am

Anyone ever ridden the Grand River trail by GVSU?
Mike_D

Postby paydirt_07 » September 21st, 2009, 12:46 pm

mntn-biker wrote:Anyone ever ridden the Grand River trail by GVSU?

I rode it a few years ago. It seemed to be mainly hikers, since I was the only biker. Short, easy loop with a few short climbs. Nothing serious. I think the 4 miles includes the little connectors.
paydirt_07

Postby sworks88 » October 1st, 2009, 8:03 pm

I am not sure if anyone else has seen this. It breaks Allegan SGA out to its own thread.

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=90337

Can this be linked to the main trail guide?
sworks88

Postby DaveChuck » July 1st, 2010, 9:58 pm

Have had a few rides at Al Sabo this summer. It hasn't been too over grown, yet.

Does anyone else ride in the back of the Al Sabo land preserve, (past the land bridge where it says no bikes) that goes out by the City Water building and close to KVCC? Just curious because there are even more trails out that way.

And does anyone know if there is a group ride there this summer?
Niner EMD 9
KHS Solo One
1985 Schwinn Traveler
DaveChuck

Postby ATBiker » May 4th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Rode Al Sabo today. Trail is nearly perfect, but the sand traps are setting up in the usual places as it dries out. A couple horses were there the other day. I didn't even know they were allowed, but did not have trouble with horse pies.
ATBiker

Postby papabrad » June 16th, 2011, 1:19 am

I'm moving over to the kzoo/matawann area and al sabo is one of the closest trails to me. Wanted to ask if anyone has tried to gain any ground with adding some freeride/technical aspects to the trail. Looking for emails/Phone numbers of individuals that have some jurisdiction over the area. Don't wanna rogue build

Thanks
papabrad

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments