Western: Other trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Western: Other trails

Postby Todd Scott » April 2nd, 2004, 12:45 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for Western Chapter-area trails that aren't listed elsewhere (includes the Pando and Whiskey Creek.)
Last edited by Todd Scott on July 17th, 2006, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Scott

Ride the REAL Wild West, in Oregon!

Postby rwl11 » April 6th, 2004, 10:42 pm

The weather has been awesome, about 60ish and sunny the last few weeks. Our club, www.pumpclub.org , is starting up their Wednesday Night rides in Forest Park, a 5000 acre park right next to downtown Portland. Great training for the weekend rides out by 11,290 ft. Mt Hood, or the rolling hills of SW Washington. There we ride the 16 Mile rollercoaster of a trail called Falls Creek. Come on out, the Tillamook Forest just west of Portland is ready to rock! Our club is just finishing up adding 6 miles to the Wilson River Trail.........

This former Detroiter is inviting any MMBA member to come on out and check out what it is like to ride your mountain bike on an actual mountain! I've been out here over 8 years and have loved every minute of it. Wait till you check out the complex of trails in Bend, OR. I am so jealous of the trails the www.cotamtb.org guys have!

Come on out! And I'll let you in on a little secret...No, it does NOT rain here all the time! The locals just tell visitors that so they won't move here.

Roger W. Louton
503-702-4590
Ellsworth Isis SL, Fox Vanilla RLC, loaded with Race Face, SRAM and Hope Brakes.

p.s. Anyone know Bill Bliss? Please tell him I am looking for his contact info.......
Come on out & ride OR, you'll never leave!
www.pumpclub.org
rwl11

Postby Koz65 » May 21st, 2004, 6:47 am

I rode Cannonsburg State Game last night and man is it a mess. With the amount of rain Grand Rapids has seen it's not draining very well. There's more mud and rutts than I've seen there in a couple of years. I quit riding after 1 lap.
IMO anyone riding there is just ruining the trail and their bike.
Koz65

Hungerford Lake?

Postby RGerwig » May 25th, 2004, 7:07 pm

How is this trail holding up? I've heard there has been a lot of work done to it since the last time I was there a couple of years ago. I'll be in the area camping the first weekend in June... is it worth bringing my mountain bike up for? Let me know. Thanks.
RGerwig

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » May 28th, 2004, 10:35 am

I rode the trail a few days ago, it's in good condition compared to the rest of the trails ive ridden lately. Only a couple muddy spots, it's pretty clearly marked, lots of loose sand so be careful. Lots of loose steep downhills, fun but can be dangerous to inexpierienced riders, just dont use to much front brake and lean back U will be fine, overall nice trail. And if the trail doesnt do U in, U can go up and down the double a few times, that always wears me out. Good luck Have Fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Cannonsburg ski area condition

Postby boks » June 28th, 2004, 8:45 am

The trail dry and getting very sandy. If you don't like sand, avoid it this trail.
boks

Trail update - 9-11-04

Postby Mike_D » September 13th, 2004, 1:19 pm

9-11-04 - If you don't like sand, I would avoid these trails. I have never ridden here before and probably never will again. There is a ton of sand (and hills)and there seems to be trails that head off of the trail everywhere you look. I doubt you could get lost out there but the sand would make it miserable in finding your way back to the ski slopes. If you are looking for a good workout - this your place!!!
Mike_D

Re: Trail update - 9-11-04

Postby suydam » September 13th, 2004, 4:08 pm

mntn-biker wrote:9-11-04 - If you don't like sand, I would avoid these trails. I have never ridden here before and probably never will again.

Where? The entire western half of the state?
What tires should I run for Iceman?
suydam

Postby BikerBandit » October 5th, 2005, 7:25 am

Rode Grand River last night and the Trail is still in great shape. The hills are still steep and everything is fairly dry. Once the fall rain hits the trails get real muddy.
BikerBandit

Trails looking good

Postby cmushaun » October 28th, 2005, 1:01 pm

Leaves are starting to fall making some trails hard to spot and possible slippage but the trails are still great. Went yesterday and going back again today. :D
cmushaun

Trail condition Good as of M 6/19/06

Postby bmcbiker » June 21st, 2006, 10:46 pm

I rode Au Sabo on Monday 6/19/06 and it was hard packed and in fast riding condition. :D
bmcbiker

ouch

Postby zaskar » July 11th, 2006, 12:34 pm

i rode here on the 6th and the trail needs some love. lots of overgrowth close to the trail, especially in the filed sections like Moab.
zaskar

Postby Heimholder » August 25th, 2006, 9:19 am

My buddy and I just rode Allegan SGA yesterday Aug 25, 2006, and you can barely even classify as a trail of any kind, let alone for mountain biking. Starting at the parking lot trail head (really just a big grassy area), we made it about 3 miles or so on the flat, straight north loop before we completely lost the "trail". Then we just plowed through the woods until we found a dirt road, went back to the truck, and called it a day. It literally looked like we were the only ones to use the trail all summer. :( Looks like it's back to Fort Custer next week.
Heimholder

Postby trout_smith » August 25th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Thanks for posting this! This is one of the places I wanted to go. I'll avoid it for now. Now I know why nobody talks about it much!
trout_smith

Postby duotone » September 14th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Riley Trails in Holland.....

I rode this thinking I'd get a fairly decent workout. Rode to the trail, then I was going to burn off a half dozen loops... If you go after 3pm you can forget about it. I usually ride early afternoon so I don't usually have any problems.

I couldn't ride 100 yards without running into a person with a DOG WITH NO LEASH! People, leash them up!
It's not a bike, it's a message.

I'd rather ride my bike than operate it.

This is not a business, it's a hobby out of control
http://web.mac.com/tonyreidsma/Bike_Bui ... lcome.html
duotone

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments