CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Seven Lakes

Postby Critter7r » August 25th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Still dry and a nice leisurely ride. I love it that it's so close to my home. Two trees are down on the trail, one near the intersection just over the small bridge for the creek that goes into the big lake (not rideable) and another on the straight near the fork of the trail that comes in from the scenic overlook (can be hopped on the side of the trail). I want to say the intersection near the bridge is 8 and the other is 5 or 15, but I'm just not sure.

LATER EDIT : The intersection near the bridge is indeed 8, and the other tree is down on the trail between markers 5 & 17.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » August 30th, 2012, 9:27 am

Someone must've read my post. Because as of yesterday, all trees in the trail had been cleared.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Josh McCreedy » August 31st, 2012, 10:41 am

It appears that the park has thrown some man hours at the trail system. This is an outstanding move and a bit surprising, so be sure to thank a park employee.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » August 31st, 2012, 11:45 am

Josh McCreedy wrote:It appears that the park has thrown some man hours at the trail system. This is an outstanding move and a bit surprising, so be sure to thank a park employee.

I had assumed that it was YOU that had gone out there!

good to know that the park is keeping the trails in good shape. There really are quite a lot of people that ride and walk on those trails, so it's a good idea for them to keep them clear.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » August 31st, 2012, 9:56 pm

Josh,
I guess old Jim needs a good hug, eh? He must have hit his head.
Jim O

Postby Josh McCreedy » September 1st, 2012, 6:56 am

Yeah, I was a bit shocked that they had put any work in, but good for them. A group called HORC (Holly Outdoor REc. Coalition) has adopted the park, so maybe that is the x factor.
Josh McCreedy

Postby black2003ss » September 3rd, 2012, 9:36 am

This is pretty cool. The wife and I just put an offer in on a condo on Grange Hall Rd, about a mile from this park. It would be nice to have both this trail and Holdridge within riding distance of home. I'll have to get up and check out this trail sometime.
black2003ss

Postby andyf » September 3rd, 2012, 6:15 pm

I was out there Sun. and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could actually ride a loop around the entire lake (dumping out on the road to get past the beach area). Last time I was there must have been at least 3 yrs ago and seemed like there was nothing but dead ends on several "loops." Sure would be interesting to hear how HORC was able to do any volunteer work there (or what their role was/is). A bit more TLC and that could be really sweet. Still very fun AS-IS.
andyf

Postby Critter7r » September 5th, 2012, 9:04 am

That's the loop I ride when I go out there, except I START at the trail that begins at the end of the road near the boat launch on the big lake and ride the trail to the other boat launch and then up to the "scenic overlook". it's also possible to throw in an interior loop while doing that run to add some distance to the ride.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » October 6th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Rode today, lots of leaves on the trail making it pretty slick. Didn't run into any hunters mid-day.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Re: CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 7th, 2013, 9:42 am

The main loop (starting from the overlook or the east boat launch) is dry with perfect leaf cover that is chopped into the tread. I didn't ride the southern boat launch to boat launch section, but I would guess the two creek crossings are still wet.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » May 7th, 2013, 10:50 am

Josh McCreedy wrote:The main loop (starting from the overlook or the east boat launch) is dry with perfect leaf cover that is chopped into the tread. I didn't ride the southern boat launch to boat launch section, but I would guess the two creek crossings are still wet.

And even though it's been a month since you wrote that, you'd still be correct. The bottom of the first hill (at the Big Lake boat launch enterance), even though there is a by-pass, both of those options are pretty wet. The creek crossing is muck almost from the turn (with impromptu stick / log "bridge"), the high grass section that is usually muddy in the spring is exactly as expected, in fact the bypass for that area is even still a little moist, there is an actual creek still running through the ditch at the broken off and leaning tree, and the 50 feet past that ditch was still muck. From there it's ok until you come out of the woods at the other boat launch, where the grassy trail is still mucky. I carried the bike as much as I rode it through the boat-launch-to-boat-launch section yesterday. I bailed after that because I was pressed for time, so I never even got to check out the main loops.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » May 10th, 2013, 11:36 am

PM'd Josh and Chris
Jim O

Postby Critter7r » May 12th, 2013, 4:18 pm

No change in the muckiness of the trail since last weekend. I laid a stick bridge through the muck at the bottom of the first hill entering from the Big Lake boat launch area. Would really love to do a re-route over the creek a half-mile later so that it crosses further up the hill where I assume that there'd be less muck to deal with. And a little bridge over the 2nd creek (with the ominous-looking tree that leans over the trail) would be nice, too. Chatted with a guy and his wife walking their dog (he used to be a forest ranger) and he said it'd be nice if they'd allow volunteers to work on the trials, too. Also saw another guy walking in from the 2nd boat launch with his wife and kids ... and a chainsaw and shovels. "Happy Mother's Day honey!! Let's go do some trail maintenance!". How awesome is she?! (Was that anyone here?) Anyhow, still 4 or 5 big trees that required dismounting out there, but maybe they'll be gone.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Josh McCreedy » May 12th, 2013, 5:54 pm

I was out there Saturday and scraped the lip off on the downslope of a couple wet spots. I'm with you, Chris. Every time I eye all the wet spots, fall lines, and unfinished trail spurs. It doesn't appear that trail maintenance is too much of a priority for the park, so good on all the citizens helping out.
Josh McCreedy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments