CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Seven Lakes

Postby rm26x » May 6th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Rode Seven Lakes today for the first time, fun trail and was in good shape. Just a few wet spots from yesterdays rain.
'95 GT Avalanche
rm26x

Postby Fall_out_boy_99 » May 30th, 2010, 11:47 am

rode seven lakes today and there are 2 trees down on the trail, not sure how much clean up is provided for these trails, but just letting you know. The first one is between 3 and 4 but it closer to 4, so it would be easier to enter from "4" at the scenic outlook. I believe the other one is between 20 and 19, cant remember how far in between though. A chainsaw will definitely be needed and while it didnt really bother me to get off and climb over them, I know you guys like to keep em clean. Oh yeah, this trail is muddy at the end...wow.
Fall_out_boy_99

Postby r21954 » May 30th, 2010, 6:36 pm

MMBA is not allowed to maintain seven lakes trails.
r21954

Postby Fall_out_boy_99 » May 30th, 2010, 8:03 pm

yeah i didnt think so, you could definitely tell the difference between Seven Lakes and Holdridge...if you ride Seven lakes, bring your bushwhacking gear...lol
Fall_out_boy_99

Postby Hermannator » June 30th, 2010, 3:43 pm

What are the conditions at Seven Lakes. My son and I ride together and I'd like to take him there Friday afternoon. Also, where exactly is the trailhead? Thanks, Tom
Hermannator

Postby r21954 » June 30th, 2010, 11:31 pm

sorry but MMBA no longer has anything to do with seven lakes
r21954

Postby tmost » August 8th, 2010, 5:01 pm

I am new to the area. How do I get to these trails? Also going out solo is the trail marked well enough so I dont get lost. Coming from Grand Blanc 75 south. Any other trails close worth looking into?
tmost

Postby bh357 » August 9th, 2010, 5:18 am

tmost wrote:I am new to the area. How do I get to these trails? Also going out solo is the trail marked well enough so I dont get lost. Coming from Grand Blanc 75 south. Any other trails close worth looking into?

75 south to Grange Hall Road (exit 101). Head west (right) on Grange Hall Road, through Holly. The park should be on your right a few miles west of Holly.

Also check outh Holdridge Lakes. Once again, 75 south to Grange Hall Road. West on Grange Hall, and make a right on the first dirt road (Hess Road). Head down Hess a couple miles.

Seven Lakes: [url]http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_trailguide&task=trail&cid[]=40[/url]

Holdridge: [url]http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_trailguide&task=trail&cid[]=14[/url]
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Josh McCreedy » November 21st, 2010, 9:23 am

Trails are all clear and in great shape-perfect for night riding during the hunting season.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » December 6th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Fall_out_boy_99 wrote:yeah i didnt think so, you could definitely tell the difference between Seven Lakes and Holdridge...if you ride Seven lakes, bring your bushwhacking gear...lol

If you enter near the boat launch at the end of the park road, then yes, the trail is pretty tight with lots of pickerbushes, but if you enter from anywhere else, and avoid that leg of the trail, it's pretty much clear riding.

Plus, I went in there with a weedwacker in June or July one day after work and cut both sides of that part of the trail for the first half mile or so. I was riding there 2 or 3 days a week after work in the summer (it's only a half mile ride from my house to the park entrance) and I was pretty tired of getting lashed on my arms and legs every time I rode thru.

I assume because of the short "MMBA has nothing to do with Seven Lakes" answer to a question above, that the answer is easily searchable. So i will search for the answer to the question of "why not?".
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Josh McCreedy » December 6th, 2010, 4:55 pm

The history is fuzzy to me, but, to my knowledge, the answer goes back about a decade when MMBA members and some Fenton bike store people worked with the park to add trail, including the trail that would have created a big loop on the South part of the park. Unfortunately, that loop required significant bridges over bog or fen. This created some sort of conflict with the former or current Park leadership and the project was shuttered. If anyone knows more about this history, please chime in.

I've been carrying an axe on rides and runs and I clear when necessary. It's my favorite after work ride, as well. Once you know the place, it's easy to rack up some miles on pretty tough terrain and it's rare to see anyone out there.

There are two small trees down on the section by the boat ramp you mention (the boat ramp on the "big lake"). Other than these two, the trails are perfect for winter riding!
Josh McCreedy

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 22nd, 2011, 11:57 am

Park at the overlook or eastern boat launch to access the main trails. They are tacky and ready. I wouldn't recommend the 18 to 20 section in the SW part of the park with the two creeks. I didn't walk it, but I have a good feeling it would be muddy.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » June 13th, 2011, 10:42 am

Rode yesterday. The trail that enters near the boat launch seemed ok at first, there were branches laid down at the creek crossing so that part wasn't too bad, but there is a 30 foot section of slop a few hundred yards later going thru the tall grassy area. Mud deep enough to envelop my shoes. I don't mean a mud-puddle, either, this is like pudding. Sloppy and sticky. The rest of the trails I rode were perfectly moist with an occasional hint of mud. I'd give the boat-launch entrance another week of no rain before trying it again.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Josh McCreedy » July 4th, 2011, 8:30 am

The boat launch to boat launch trail is trimmed back, but still has one log down. The trails are in great shape.
Josh McCreedy

Postby KRUG » July 4th, 2011, 9:29 am

Josh McCreedy wrote:The boat launch to boat launch trail is trimmed back, but still has one log down. The trails are in great shape.

I need a guided tour of Seven Lake some day to get me started. Its so close to home and yet I never ride it. I can get there by bike and never have to ride on Grange Hall Rd. (not safe for bikes since there is no shoulder).
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments