CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby F » July 6th, 2007, 10:59 am

I rode 7 lakes this morning. Mud at the bottom of some of the hills. No surprise from the rain yesterday. A couple logs/trees down over parts of the trail.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
F

Postby turbotoad » September 3rd, 2007, 2:47 pm

Decided to ride the Holly Rec Area "Wilderness Trail" today. The Trail has an unbelievable amount of .5"-2" diameter sticks and branches and strewn all over the trails. Its really bad!

Are there any scheduled work/clean-up days for this area or does this trail not fall under the MMBA mantainance umbrella?
turbotoad

Postby PeterCox » September 3rd, 2007, 8:42 pm

Well a tornado just went through near there last week so if there wern't branches down i'd be suprised. :lol:
In mountain biking it's a constant hard effort for two to three hours. In road racing the efforts often come in surges. You ride easy for awhile then you have to make an extreme, hard effort. Two different efforts, two different forms of suffering
PeterCox

Postby Josh McCreedy » May 30th, 2008, 1:35 pm

Seven Lakes trails are dry and free of most leaf and stick litter. There are some monster trees down at key points, but it's fast and fun.
Josh McCreedy

Re: Holly/Flint: Seven Lakes

Postby jamesbondwink » March 22nd, 2009, 3:58 pm

Yes, it is early in the season... but Seven Lakes seems to be drying out pretty nicely. I checked out some of the trails today and many of them were pleasantly dry, with the occasional wet spot. There are also several trees down across the trails.
jamesbondwink

Postby black2003ss » March 22nd, 2009, 6:09 pm

i didnt even think anyone rode this anymore. Those trees have been down since last year, some of them anyways. It was way overgrown too. I think everyone just goes to Holdridge instead. But it would be cool get this trail back in riding condition for the season since its not far from holly.
black2003ss

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 22nd, 2009, 6:48 pm

I chopped a few small ones out, but don't know how the park feels about citizens running chainsaws, so have not carried it out there. I'd be glad to do it, but have never approached them on it. Anyone know the management out there?

I love riding and running on these trails. Combined with the Sand Lake loops, you can get quite a nice ride out of it.
Josh McCreedy

Postby black2003ss » March 22nd, 2009, 9:03 pm

I would help. I plan to go to the Holdridge trail day this next saturday to lend a hand. Maybe we could organize a trail day tof ix seven lakes the following weekend? Or is that easter weekend? Not sure.
black2003ss

Postby jamesbondwink » March 24th, 2009, 11:43 am

Alright! I have been wanting to hear something from someone about wanting to give Seven Lakes some TLC. I live very near the park, and would be far more than willing to help out when I can. And McCreedy, if you happen to find out about citizens operating chainsaws, just let me know and I can take care of those trees pretty easily.
jamesbondwink

Postby black2003ss » March 26th, 2009, 11:32 am

Ok...who do I need to contact within the MMBA to coordinate a trail day for this trail? My fiance and I would like to help out, or if no one is handling this trail, I would be happy to head things up. I will have time to take on this little project this summer with my new work hours with my new job.
black2003ss

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 26th, 2009, 2:16 pm

I think this is a perfect opportunity for us to establish a relationship with the Seven Lakes administration. The MMBA hasn't actively worked out there for several years, for reasons unclear to me. I'd be surprised if they would refuse help maintaining existing trails for all users, so it's a matter of finding the contact person there. I just need to find a few minutes to get to their office, but probably can't until next week sometime.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Diesel » March 27th, 2009, 8:01 am

I would love to discuss the possibility of reviving the Holly/Flint Chapter's trail efforts at 7 Lakes. The Chapter has a trailday at Holdridge Lakes tomorrow, March 28th at 11:am. This would be the perfect time to have a discussion about the project.
Diesel

Postby r21954 » March 27th, 2009, 4:45 pm

I asked one of the Rangers last year and he said they took care of their own trails. So I didn't pursue that any further!
r21954

Postby Josh McCreedy » May 7th, 2009, 1:51 pm

The trees are gone on the main loops. The connector between Sand and *beep* Lakes still has a couple monsters down. Low spots are still very muddy, but easy enough to walk.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 1st, 2010, 10:08 am

Main loops are dry but with a few smallish logs down. Thanks to hikers and wind, there is minimal leaf litter on the tread.
Josh McCreedy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments