CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Seven Lakes

Postby Josh McCreedy » May 4th, 2012, 1:57 pm

I cleared some logs from Seven Lakes today and wouldn't recommend riding. There was a lot of standing and running water on the trail.

Judging from the Shiawassee, we got quite a bit of rain.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » May 21st, 2012, 8:37 am

Most of the trail is in great shape. The finger-trail from/to the south boat launch area still has several wet spots, and somehow, a 50-foot section of trail that has 2 inches of water over a sloppy mud base. (there is a by-pass trail that has developed around this muddy area, but I didn't use it due to the recent "bandit trail" threads, and thinking, "it couldn't possibly still be wet, right?" But it is). The rest of the trails contained within the main loops are dry. Some older woman with her grandkids must've thought that bikes aren't allowed in the park, because when I passed them (slowly, uphill and after annoucing from 25 feet away that I was coming their way), she said, "what's a bike doing back here? Someone could get hurt". I chuckled again as I got to a parking lot and saw 2 other cars loaded up with mountian bikes.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » July 10th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Trails appear to have been recently cleared and trimmed. No trees down that I couldn't ride over or around. Trail was dry, even the creek crossing on the trail back by the boat launch was rideable.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Chris » July 11th, 2012, 5:53 am

What's this trail like? Easy to follow? Where is the best place to park?
Chris
2015 Specialized Fatboy
Chris

Postby Critter7r » July 11th, 2012, 11:01 am

PM sent. And I forgot to mention that there are maps at nearly every intersection, so yes, it's pretty easy to follow.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Josh McCreedy » August 2nd, 2012, 9:58 pm

I recommend the Eddy Lake entrance, which is trimmed and fast like the rest of at his trail. If you are going for the firsts time, print a map and plan to do some navigating. Once you find your way around, it is easy to link a lot of sweet, interesting trail.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » August 25th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Still dry and a nice leisurely ride. I love it that it's so close to my home. Two trees are down on the trail, one near the intersection just over the small bridge for the creek that goes into the big lake (not rideable) and another on the straight near the fork of the trail that comes in from the scenic overlook (can be hopped on the side of the trail). I want to say the intersection near the bridge is 8 and the other is 5 or 15, but I'm just not sure.

LATER EDIT : The intersection near the bridge is indeed 8, and the other tree is down on the trail between markers 5 & 17.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » August 30th, 2012, 9:27 am

Someone must've read my post. Because as of yesterday, all trees in the trail had been cleared.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Josh McCreedy » August 31st, 2012, 10:41 am

It appears that the park has thrown some man hours at the trail system. This is an outstanding move and a bit surprising, so be sure to thank a park employee.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » August 31st, 2012, 11:45 am

Josh McCreedy wrote:It appears that the park has thrown some man hours at the trail system. This is an outstanding move and a bit surprising, so be sure to thank a park employee.

I had assumed that it was YOU that had gone out there!

good to know that the park is keeping the trails in good shape. There really are quite a lot of people that ride and walk on those trails, so it's a good idea for them to keep them clear.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » August 31st, 2012, 9:56 pm

Josh,
I guess old Jim needs a good hug, eh? He must have hit his head.
Jim O

Postby Josh McCreedy » September 1st, 2012, 6:56 am

Yeah, I was a bit shocked that they had put any work in, but good for them. A group called HORC (Holly Outdoor REc. Coalition) has adopted the park, so maybe that is the x factor.
Josh McCreedy

Postby black2003ss » September 3rd, 2012, 9:36 am

This is pretty cool. The wife and I just put an offer in on a condo on Grange Hall Rd, about a mile from this park. It would be nice to have both this trail and Holdridge within riding distance of home. I'll have to get up and check out this trail sometime.
black2003ss

Postby andyf » September 3rd, 2012, 6:15 pm

I was out there Sun. and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could actually ride a loop around the entire lake (dumping out on the road to get past the beach area). Last time I was there must have been at least 3 yrs ago and seemed like there was nothing but dead ends on several "loops." Sure would be interesting to hear how HORC was able to do any volunteer work there (or what their role was/is). A bit more TLC and that could be really sweet. Still very fun AS-IS.
andyf

Postby Critter7r » September 5th, 2012, 9:04 am

That's the loop I ride when I go out there, except I START at the trail that begins at the end of the road near the boat launch on the big lake and ride the trail to the other boat launch and then up to the "scenic overlook". it's also possible to throw in an interior loop while doing that run to add some distance to the ride.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions