Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 1st, 2014, 2:00 pm

I haven't made it all the way around yet. So far the worst i've seen is from price rd to 13 then going towards 14 on the outer loop until you hit the gas pipeline right away. That is really wet, avoid it unless you're wearing swim trunks and flippers.

Then the east and north portions are looking pretty good in my opinion. The MSU work around 14 looks good and the MMBA work up by 4 looks good, but there is some water flowing over the last mud hole we filled in. The water is flowing to the north just so we know...

Wet spot east of 6 in the hardwoods, I will keep that in mind for small trail adjustment to drier land. This spot sems wet every year.
New wet spot just south of 14, I will keep that in mind for a small trail adjustment to drier land.
Small wet spot coming across the gas pipeline headed from the park office to 14. Fill will probably take care of that.

I'm headed back out for the west side of the lake and south of price rd. I will report back later.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm

The only other wet area I see is around marker 12. Thats from the corner of price rd and upton going south to marker 12 and a wet spot past the first curve. If you go slow its alright.

The only place I would not ride is what I mentioned early...price rd to #13 and then towards 14 with the wet areas stopping at the consumers gas line right of way.

Everything is clear on the trails as far as trees. The trail is leaf covered in the hardwood areas.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby AllMountin' » December 1st, 2014, 6:04 pm

I just finished up a lap around sleepy, stopping at marker 12, and taking the park entrance back to the lot. Conditions for my ride were overall very good. The periodic puddles were not frozen, but were very passable, and no big deal. The one exception, I'd say, is a 10 foot long puddle right before you exit at marker 12. I made it through just fine, but it might be worth walking around, rather than taking a chance. My bike came out about as clean as it went in, with a thin layer of dirty ice on the downtube bottom.

I would propose using this route, which should still yield about 12 miles. Considering the forecasted temperatures, I'd expect some amount of superficial grease in the exposed areas, and probably some amount of spatter. Nothing of great concern, nor anything that should cause damage IMO.

The right arrow at 5 needs replacing, and I think an arrow at 10 wouldn't hurt, IIRC. It would be nice to get a report a little bit later in the week, if possible.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby G.Cook » December 1st, 2014, 7:56 pm

I just finished up a lap around sleepy, stopping at marker 12, and taking the park entrance back to the lot. Conditions for my ride were overall very good. The periodic puddles were not frozen, but were very passable, and no big deal. The one exception, I'd say, is a 10 foot long puddle right before you exit at marker 12. I made it through just fine, but it might be worth walking around, rather than taking a chance. My bike came out about as clean as it went in, with a thin layer of dirty ice on the downtube bottom.

I would propose using this route, which should still yield about 12 miles. Considering the forecasted temperatures, I'd expect some amount of superficial grease in the exposed areas, and probably some amount of spatter. Nothing of great concern, nor anything that should cause damage IMO.

The right arrow at 5 needs replacing, and I think an arrow at 10 wouldn't hurt, IIRC. It would be nice to get a report a little bit later in the week, if possible.

and we are riding Fat. :wink:
G.Cook

Postby utabintarbo » December 6th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Other than a little grease due to the thaw, very nice. Until you get near #12, anyway. :)
utabintarbo

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments