Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » August 25th, 2013, 8:14 am

Jim we walked some of the Island a couple of weeks ago . I was waiting for DNR Dave to get back and after Labor Day was going to talk him about reclaiming those trails on the Island . Been trying to get the main trails in shape first . Dave and his crew have done an outstanding job this year . As far as I know there is not a group ride going but sounds like a good idea . I got DALMAC coming this week so might see you the week after .
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » September 28th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Got 3 more trouble spots taken care of today on the south side of Price road , the one by tree with the bad root problem is now fixed plus the 2 mud holes . It will be a little soft till it rains to settle the gravel down . The trail is in super shape . We just need feedback if we need to move the reroute farther east on the glass hill to take some of the steepness out of it .
owosso bob

Postby jiml » September 29th, 2013, 4:46 am

Hey Bob, great running into you yesterday!

I rode up the 'glass hill' re-route and personally find it much easier than the original. I think once it gets burned in, there won't be any problem going up the re-route for most all riders.

The trail is in amazing shape, a far cry from the bushwhacking it used to be. Thanks everyone for the hard work! Sleepy is truly the Island Lake of the north. 8)

Bob, I did make a left at the end of the glass hill section by the (hard right) bridge and semi bushwhacked up the route where I was stopped just short of where it would intersect the route going straight from the glass hill intersection. Wow. I hope that makes sense. :shock: However, I was unwilling to sacrifice flesh and blood going through the hedgerow of prickers blocking ~10 feet of trail. The actual trail is very packed in, but the brush obscures things a bit. Anyway, this might be a good alternate for those unwilling to scale the ridge before dropping to the stream section and still allow them to follow the outer loop of the red trail.

I"m already dreaming of a Mid-Mich Bikepacking tour, once the CIS is clear (or not). Hopkins Lake, Sleepy, Ionia, Greenville... and all the rail trails in-between- to complete the loop, hitting Stanton, Edmore and Alma And a wee bit of road between Owosso and Alma.

Jim
jiml

Postby Zoo1424 » October 17th, 2013, 6:12 am

It's been a couple of years since I've been down to Sleepy Hollow & I'm thinking about making the trip soon. Is hunting allowed at Sleepy Hollow & if it is allowed, is it something to be concerned about now? (vs. during gun season for deer)
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby owosso bob » November 27th, 2013, 8:52 am

SteveF wrote:Sunday, then! Unless thur (early) or anytime friday is better for you guys. We can take a good easy spin on sunday up there, recover from our long weekends and ponder the route for 12/7. Anytime work better? mid-late morning/early afternoon's good for me sunday.

Okay Sunday at 1:00 East parking lot . I think Mike , Rick and possibly Rob are going to join us . Also Rick from the House of Wheels is going to let me bring one of his Charge Fat Bikes out the day of the ride to try out
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 2nd, 2013, 11:19 am

That's what I like to hear. Thanks for the update guys.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » April 16th, 2014, 10:39 am

Wet and Muddy. Some trees down. Be awhile before things dry out and we clear trees.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » June 9th, 2014, 7:06 am

It is on the verge is still being to wet, and i lost count how many downed trees there are, 50 is probably light. A rough winter and spring for sleepy hollow.
wannabee

Postby wannabee » November 18th, 2014, 10:24 am

I'm in for SH
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » February 7th, 2016, 11:44 am

I cleared a tree off the trail before the "half pipe" hill on the ridge south of price rd. Trail looked good over that way this morning.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » September 16th, 2016, 11:40 am

Got a chance to walk out there today and really like the reroute . A few tweaks and a bit more bench cutting and this will be good to go . A big thanks to the MSU crew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » Today, 4:11 pm

I cleared trees of the trails today (Friday) including the island. There are some wet spots and of course the trail is leaf covered. There has been some rain lately so the trails are a little slippery.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby Zoo1424 » Today, 4:12 pm

Thank you! Looking forward to riding out there tomorrow for GFBD.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » Today, 4:13 pm

Not sure where the Global Fat Bike day ride info went but I stocked the east picnic area shelter with firewood and posted a reserved sign.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby AllMountin' » Today, 5:15 pm

Excellent. Thank you, kind sir.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions