Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby dauber76 » February 12th, 2012, 8:37 pm

I park at the same lot (first large lot on the left)

Nice pics guys!
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » February 14th, 2012, 11:45 am

I trimmed from 14-13 both loops, 13-12, 12 to the big hill just past the down tree. Gator couldn't make it up the hill, had to turn around. There was a lot of stuff down. Not sure how the trail looks from the steep hill to the BAS. I will make it there eventually. Don't forget to wear you glasses/googles because still some face slappers around and probably pack a few extra tubes since everything has thorns on it out here.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » February 14th, 2012, 3:34 pm

DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:I trimmed from 14-13 both loops, 13-12, 12 to the big hill just past the down tree. Gator couldn't make it up the hill, had to turn around. There was a lot of stuff down. Not sure how the trail looks from the steep hill to the BAS. I will make it there eventually. Don't forget to wear you glasses/googles because still some face slappers around and probably pack a few extra tubes since everything has thorns on it out here.

Dave

Thank you for all of your work Dave . Hope to give a hand whenever possible . Owosso Bob
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » March 5th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Has anyone been out since the windstorm last week? Let me know if there are any trees blocking the trails and their approximate location.

Thanks,

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby Mike 373 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:43 pm

Went out to check on the trail conditions. There was many areas way to wet to ride. Just spots not as much flooding this year. No down trees in the section I explored. We really need to look at this trail it could be much better.
Mike 373

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » March 23rd, 2012, 8:01 am

Agreed. I would like to start with some small trail "adustments' to clear up some of the water holes. Anyone up for a MMBA trail day this spring and maybe fall too?

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby Mike 373 » March 23rd, 2012, 2:30 pm

For sure. I am hoping we can do more than just a day or two. The trail needs some emergency attention so we can get people to ride it more. The park is so nice but the trail, while not bad is pretty lack luster. I believe a big part of that is the fact that the trail is very slow rolling. Mostly because it does not get rode enough and partially due to the fact that it is June usually before it is ride able. Even routing traffic out to the roads to miss the parts that stay wet? This could be done with very little trail work using existing trail. The worst area is always the east side behind the HQ. Just greasy enough to be impassable (without doing damage)with puddles every 100 yards or so.
Mike 373

Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby BigMike » March 23rd, 2012, 5:00 pm

I would be willing to spend a day to get it to a more usable condition
BigMike

Postby owosso bob » March 23rd, 2012, 8:19 pm

Count me in for trail days .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » March 26th, 2012, 7:29 am

Sounds good. I've talked to so many people lately, who would like to take the lead on getting this going?
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » March 27th, 2012, 7:17 am

Wish I had more time as I am already taking care of one trail but am willing to help as much as possible . I still think this trail could be the Island Lake of central Michigan . Dave do you have a date in mind for a trail day ?
owosso bob

Postby AllMountin' » March 27th, 2012, 10:15 am

Dave, you mentioned starting off with some reroutes around water holes. Do you have any in particular in mind, or should we figure on doing a walk through to identify and perhaps flag the worst offenders?

I've not attempted early season riding out here, so I'm not that knowledgeable about the exact whereabouts of problem areas.

I still have some chapter tools, if necessary. A Rogue Hoe, McLeod, and a cutter mattock.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Mike 373 » March 27th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Steve, I will send you a pm with my info. We need to meet up and scope out the trail.
Mike 373

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » March 27th, 2012, 1:49 pm

I talked to Mike and he is willing to coordinate a time with everyone to check out the trails and come up with a game plan of what areas we would like to tackle first. Then we could get a trail day set up after that.

So I would say get a hold of Mike 373 so we can nail down a time and date for a survey of what we need fixed.

My schedule is M-F 8-4:30 currently. But I would be more than willing to come out on a weekend and enjoy the trails some. I think the park has a bike or two I could jump on.

My schedule looks to be open April 3,4,5,13,14,15,16,21-30 currently.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » March 27th, 2012, 1:55 pm

I do recall an area probably between 4 and 5 (North part of the trail) that dips down too close to a wet area that we could move further up onto the high ground. Pretty easy fix with a chain saw and some hand tools I would think.

The area next to the boat launch road is flooded. Not sure what we could do there.

I think it was East of number 4 that was totally flooded. I didn't really look around too much to see what could be done.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions