Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby Zoo1424 » June 6th, 2014, 8:09 am

Has anyone been out on the trials lately? Thinking of coming down that way Saturday. I believe it has rained a lot more down there than it has up my way.
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby wannabee » June 9th, 2014, 7:06 am

It is on the verge is still being to wet, and i lost count how many downed trees there are, 50 is probably light. A rough winter and spring for sleepy hollow.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » June 21st, 2014, 9:38 am

The guys removed trees on the west side of the lake to the boat launch, north west parts of the trails and from the east picnic area to #15 then to #2 and #1 as well as behind the campground. Your number of 50 sounds about what they said they cut out. Those portions were also trimmed back of brush with exception of about 1/2 mile west of #4. That still needs trimming.

We need to get out and mow the trails. There are some portions in the fields where its hard to find the trail. Our mowers are dropping like flys but I am planning on attacking the trails some more this Mon, Tues, Wed.

Headed east from marker 5 is a huge flooded spot-gator made it through yesterday. And just south of the old night access by the boat launch is a flooded spot.

I haven't been on the rest of the trails lately to see what they're like. The north east section is probably flooded in the usual spot just east of the old road leading from the horse staging area. And I would bet south of price rd past #12 is probably flooded/muddy.

Thats all for now. Gotta be patient with mother nature.

Thanks,
Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby jiml » June 23rd, 2014, 5:55 am

Thanks for all the hard work Dave!

Took a little stroll yesterday to check out the conditions- still definitely avoid. Based on my experience, It's probably going to be another month before things are dried out.

JIm
jiml

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 3rd, 2014, 1:15 pm

Two of the guys got out Tuesday for some trimming. I think they did some stuff south of Price Rd. Not sure though as our days off don't coincide. Anyway we got quite a bit of rain Thursday morning, gotta be muddy and wet out there.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 6th, 2014, 8:31 am

Taylor said on the south side of Price Rd he went in by the boat launch and trimmed it to around the big dip. He said there was a big tree down there which he didn't have time to get.

A guy said it was muddy out on the trails yesterday. july 5.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 11th, 2014, 11:27 am

Jake got all the way around the south side of price, cleared a lot of trees thursday. Friday some more trimming got done over there. They said it was still wet/muddy over there.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby G.Cook » July 11th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Why does that trail system take so long to dry out ? :?
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » July 11th, 2014, 12:13 pm

it usually is dry by now. we have had a crap load of rain and a couple of sections are swampy at best.
Thanks for clearing the trees, I'll try it out tomorrow.
wannabee

Postby dauber76 » July 11th, 2014, 4:47 pm

G.Cook wrote:Why does that trail system take so long to dry out ? :?

Hydrology 101

High water table, low lying trails.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby G.Cook » July 11th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Hydrology 101

IMBA 101 ; build/rebuild on the high ground . :wink:
G.Cook

Postby owosso bob » July 11th, 2014, 8:55 pm

G.Cook wrote:
Hydrology 101

It has been a combination of factors this year staring with the ice storm and the heavy snow and then the rains which made it really tough to get work done on the trail . It would be nice if the MMMBA actually came out and met with DNR Dave to see if this would be possible to move some of the trails and get some input from them . Dave and his staff has worked hard the last 2 years on this trail . As far as I know there has not been one face to face meeting with him since he has been there with any officer of the MMMBA . I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert or even a novice at trail building but least I have been out there trying to alleviate some of the water problems to help make this a better trail the last couple of years . So please if you want to work on the trail call Dave I am sure he will welcome the help and advice .
owosso bob

Postby dauber76 » July 11th, 2014, 9:54 pm

G.Cook wrote:
Hydrology 101

High ground? Half of Sleepy Hollow is below sea level...they pass out snorkels at the trail head.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby dauber76 » July 11th, 2014, 10:15 pm

owosso bob wrote:
G.Cook wrote:
Hydrology 101

It has been a combination of factors this year staring with the ice storm and the heavy snow and then the rains which made it really tough to get work done on the trail . It would be nice if the MMMBA actually came out and met with DNR Dave to see if this would be possible to move some of the trails and get some input from them . Dave and his staff has worked hard the last 2 years on this trail . As far as I know there has not been one face to face meeting with him since he has been there with any officer of the MMMBA . I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert or even a novice at trail building but least I have been out there trying to alleviate some of the water problems to help make this a better trail the last couple of years . So please if you want to work on the trail call Dave I am sure he will welcome the help and advice .

Bob,

You know that you don't need an MMMBA officer to move/build trail or to organize trail days. One way an organization is successful is when the officers can focus on issues like membership, building the organization's influence, etc and other people take lead on projects that they have an interest in.
dauber76

Postby owosso bob » July 12th, 2014, 5:30 am

dauber76 wrote:
G.Cook wrote:
Hydrology 101

High ground? Half of Sleepy Hollow is below sea level...they pass out snorkels at the trail head.

Thank you !
owosso bob

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments