Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby JHew84 » June 25th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Was out there today, still a mud pit for a good portion of the trails, many places need to be walked and there were some hidden wet areas that soaked my entire bike and sprayed mud everywhere. Not sure exactly where that was but I do know it was right after a downhill section and the water was hidden by grass, basically didn't see it until I was already plowing through it. Luckily my buddy was far enough back to stop in time but there was no other way to pass it except straight through and I wasn't coming back through it again, so he got wet too :lol:. They have the trail re-routed around the parts that are completely flooded, but the trail after that is still very over grown so we turned around and went back to the campsite.

I would recommend waiting awhile before heading out there, which is unfortunate because it would be a ton of fun to go camping, ride the trails during the day, hit up the beach! Looking forward to the trails drying out.
- James
'05 Specialized Hardrock Pro
JHew84

Postby james leikert » July 9th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Trail is good to go. Rode all the major sections today, 90% mowed, 0% mud/wet. Also did an island loop, surprisingly it was very clear. The road is missing now, so you have to take the two track down and then a mowed singletrack-ish leads to the bridge.

Jim
james leikert

Postby ted1969 » July 27th, 2011, 8:41 am

was out at Sleepy Hollow yesterday - great day to ride.. trails were well maintained and it has appeared to have been mowed/trimmed since I was there last - at least the meadow-y areas...
ted1969

Postby AllMountin' » September 10th, 2011, 7:09 pm

3 of us dropped a lap here to get my younger bro some trail time. Conditions are vastly improved over my previous ride here. Things are fairly well trimmed and the trail is far firmer and rolls much faster. The stream is low and passable.

One section with some downed trees is still closed, as well as a detour around a still flooded section. Not a big deal though. Lots of good, open trail out there. Get it while it's hot...
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » November 3rd, 2011, 9:36 pm

I'll preface this with a reminder that this area is open to hunting. On a Thursday evening, there were a handful of bow hunters out there. Not an issue; just a reminder.

Hadn't been out here in nearly 2 months and found roughly a dozen downed trees obstructing the trail. Was able to remove all but one that was still attached at the base and hanging waist level across the trail. IIRC, it was between sign posts 11 and 12. It is on a straight, flat stretch, and therefore not dangerous. Otherwise, all clear on the route that I rode.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/srhFS3urbh8

I rode the 5 -> 7 -> 9 option. I'm not sure if the trail from 6 -> 8 -> 9 is open. Last time out it was blocked off. Also took the right trail option at post #13. Can't verify the parts I didn't ride.

Heavy leaf cover from posts 2 to 4 make it difficult to discern the trail in spots. There are a couple of very minor mud holes from post 13 and beyond.

Saw a massive Great Blue Heron at the creek, and later happened upon a rafter(aka flock) of wild turkeys on the trail. They ran away down the trail, and those buggers are actually pretty fleet of foot. They gapped me before dispersing into the woods, while one went skyward. Pretty cool, because it was right up close, and it's great watching those giant birds take flight. :-)

A cool night for a ride, but a good ride nonetheless.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby SteveF » November 4th, 2011, 8:09 am

Wonder what a night ride would be like here?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby dauber76 » November 4th, 2011, 9:04 am

SteveF wrote:Wonder what a night ride would be like here?

Dark

:lol:
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » February 8th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Cleared all of the down trees on the trail north of Price Rd yesterday with the exception of the area around the boat launch. Still some face slappers out there. Wet out there in the usual places. I will try to get to the south side of Price Rd this Saturday.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby AllMountin' » February 8th, 2012, 2:04 pm

DNR Sleepy Hollow wrote:Cleared all of the down trees on the trail north of Price Rd yesterday with the exception of the area around the boat launch. Still some face slappers out there. Wet out there in the usual places. I will try to get to the south side of Price Rd this Saturday.

Dave

Thank you, and welcome to the area Dave. A few of us are tentatively planning on taking advantage of the cold weather this weekend to utilize the trail, and are appreciative of the effort.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » February 11th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Cleared one tree across trail after #12 (the bend that comes closest to Upton rd) and a few shrubs. Didn't do the entire south loop though.

Please let me know if and where any downed trees are.

Thanks,

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby AllMountin' » February 12th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Four of us did an 11 mile loop today. One significant downed tree. I *think* it was in the part somewhere South of Price rd, after the steep downhills(the one is blocked off by orange fencing). It may have been quite a ways after that. Maybe one of the others remembers more accurately.

There was a head hunter between 13 and 15, on the inner trail where the trail splits.

Most of the trail was clear. Snow is deep enough to be a challenge, but we still had an enjoyable ride. Slow pace, as expected. Ride log: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/hLBTdY6t80g
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby rvd » February 12th, 2012, 4:04 pm

The downed tree is near the point where where we rounded the southern tip of Lake Ovid, I believe.

My first time riding this trail. Very nice to have a single long-loop trail system available in the MMMMBA user area. It makes for a nice change from all the great tight and twisty trails at Anderson and (less so) at Burchfield. Variety is good!

Considering the amount of icy and in a couple of instances even (surprising with these temperatures) muddy trails we encountered, I can see that this trail has the potential for unpleasant conditions for much of the spring. There is quite some topography, however, that could be utilized better, especially south of Price Rd.

Did anyone suggest yet that Steve R would make a nice TC? If so, I would like to second, or third, or fourth that sentiment.
rvd

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » February 12th, 2012, 4:22 pm

I will try to get those trees Monday or Tuesday. Probably hike in from Shepardsville rd. by number 11. I will post again after I clear them.

I've only been through the trails once and yeah there are definitely some areas that need to be rearranged. I know a couple of the summer guys that work here want to move a few areas of wet trail, I'm sure they would like a hand in the summer.

Where do the Mt. Bikers park at usually?

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby SteveF » February 12th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Hi Dave--we parked in the East Picnic lot, the first biggish parking lot on the left from the Price road entrance. I hope you don't get bored working at this park--after your (much appreciated) efforts at Island Lake, Sleepy Hollow is going to seem pretty dull, bike traffic-wise. It's a bit ironic to me that the DNR's most active and visible (on this board anyway) supporter of mountain biking in the area gets moved to one of the least popular (for riding) parks. We'll try to make you feel at home...

Here's a few shots from our ride today:

In the lot, getting ready:

RVD has a flat!

Death defying descent! The Fatbike negotiated it safely

Here comes RVD:

AllMountin' takes a crack at it:

Rider #4 who's not on the board much doesn't follow the beaten path down much either... :lol:

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby AllMountin' » February 12th, 2012, 7:01 pm

The camera man and Seth taking a union break to whine about the work load:

;-)

And one of many lake views from the trail:

--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions