Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Race

Postby sngltrack » September 29th, 2008, 8:17 am

Keep hearing something about a race, but not much in detail until I found:

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7106
'Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.' -Better Off Dead
sngltrack

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby TheAnswer » May 12th, 2009, 10:03 am

Is Sleepy Hollow ok to ride? No updates in a while...
TheAnswer

Postby dauber76 » May 12th, 2009, 10:17 am

I would suggest avoiding Sleepy Hollow for a while longer. Much of the trail stays wet or even under water late into the spring / early summer.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby james leikert » May 12th, 2009, 10:20 am

I ventured out there a few weeks ago and it was mostly mud and standing water, even on the two track sections that aren't part of the trails. I would avoid until probably mid June at this point.

This trail rails in late summer/early fall, once the clay dries out.
james leikert

Postby TheAnswer » May 12th, 2009, 10:31 am

Thanks for the quick responses.. Where do all the South Lansing area people ride?
TheAnswer

Postby The_Sandman » May 13th, 2009, 6:58 am

TheAnswer wrote:Thanks for the quick responses.. Where do all the South Lansing area people ride?

Right now your best bet is Rose Lake. It's not signed so it takes a little exploring. But there is a lot of open trail out there that's good riding this time of year. There's still one section that the entrance and exit are under water and there are a lot of blow downs in there. Everything else is pretty good.
The_Sandman

Postby G.Cook » October 2nd, 2009, 9:36 pm

Did a loop of this trail . I gotta say this trail has a lot of potential .
Just gotta get it out of the mud which is do able .Gosling loop after a big rain is worse . Granted this isn't early spring riding but the high ground I saw would go a long way in getting this trail out of the mud .
I was looking up at ridge lines while riding along the outer edges of swamp !?!
A lot of two track for the DNR , but even Poto has a lot of two track .
If the DNR can be aggressive with mowing the grass it should not pose a problem with any rider . Better then a muddy trail tread .
Noticed very little invasive's crowding the trail tread .
If you are a beginner or you want to introduce some one to mtn'biking , you could do worse then this trail .
Great for learning to go clipless .
Great for night riding .
Maybe even great for CX .
Great for family riding .
B.O.W. ladies ?
I was impressed by whats out there , surprisingly so , I'm happy to say . Even if it does need some work , or a lot , depending on what can be done to improve the ride .
Mike and Chris , you guys had it right .
G.Cook

Postby owosso bob » October 3rd, 2009, 6:40 pm

I have been riding this trail since the early 90s and thought it could be as good as Island Lake with work . The south side of Price Road has a lot of potential with all the ridges there .
owosso bob

Postby broke » April 11th, 2010, 2:08 am

Got the bike out of the trunk, rode from marker 15 to 4 and got a flat.
It's all under water right now. Most of my riding had to go off-trail to avoid cutting lines into the main trail, so I hung it up after fixing the flat, mushed back to the car and played 18 holes at the new disc golf course. Guess it's Rose Lake or Burchfield for me now!
Gary Fisher HiFi Plus
Gary Fisher Mullet SS
...debt guaranteed by the Department of Redundancy Department.
broke

Postby AllMountin' » June 8th, 2011, 6:53 am

Anyone been out here this year? Is it dry enough to ride?
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby bmvenglarcik » June 13th, 2011, 9:40 pm

I'm going out tomorrow.. anyone know how it is?
bmvenglarcik

Postby AllMountin' » June 19th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Dropped down about 13.5 miles out here today. Cannot recommend it for a ride at this time.

Trails are generally not well traveled and much of the single track is grass/weed covered. The trail passes through several meadows that have high weeds thick enough to hit your handlebars on both sides. You can only navigate them thanks to a few brave souls that knocked down a path with their tires.

There are numerous small muddy spots. Not a real big deal. There are four separate sections covered by larger bodies of water that are a *huge* deal. The first two have well defined bypasses. The third one is a *massive* swampy area. A bypass to the right takes you out to the bridle trail, and through the swamp (can be ridden here/very shallow), and out to Taft road. I don't know if it is possible to get back on the trail from here, so I doubled back and ran the bridle trail access down to the inner bike/hike loop.

If you choose to ride here- take the inner loop where the trail splits at sign post 3. This avoids the biggest problem area. On the far side of the lake is another swamp covered section of maybe 50 to 100 yards. I mistakenly thought it might be shallow enough to ride. It submerged my BB and axles in roughly knee deep water. I rode for a bit before bogging, and then walked through the knee deep, stagnant, filmed, stinky water the rest of the way out. There is a road crossing right after, and I am certain this could be bypassed to the trail right.

There are numerous downed trees. Some passable. Some the size of Cali redwoods. Some dismounts for low clearance as well. The stream crossing on the outer loop is also around knee deep as well. I removed my shoes and carried the bike through it.

This is mountain biker's *beep* right now. Ride it if you are hardcore and the above sounds fun. If you aren't, then don't. There is still quite a bit of decent trail out there. Just be prepared for the suck.

My log, for the masochists: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93615159
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Re: Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby dauber76 » June 20th, 2011, 6:29 am

AllMountin' wrote:Dropped down about 13.5 miles out here today. Cannot recommend it for a ride at this time.

Trails are generally not well traveled and much of the single track is grass/weed covered. The trail passes through several meadows that have high weeds thick enough to hit your handlebars on both sides. You can only navigate them thanks to a few brave souls that knocked down a path with their tires.

There are numerous small muddy spots. Not a real big deal. There are four separate sections covered by larger bodies of water that are a *huge* deal. The first two have well defined bypasses. The third one is a *massive* swampy area. A bypass to the right takes you out to the bridle trail, and through the swamp (can be ridden here/very shallow), and out to Taft road. I don't know if it is possible to get back on the trail from here, so I doubled back and ran the bridle trail access down to the inner bike/hike loop.

If you choose to ride here- take the inner loop where the trail splits at sign post 3. This avoids the biggest problem area. On the far side of the lake is another swamp covered section of maybe 50 to 100 yards. I mistakenly thought it might be shallow enough to ride. It submerged my BB and axles in roughly knee deep water. I rode for a bit before bogging, and then walked through the knee deep, stagnant, filmed, stinky water the rest of the way out. There is a road crossing right after, and I am certain this could be bypassed to the trail right.

There are numerous downed trees. Some passable. Some the size of Cali redwoods. Some dismounts for low clearance as well. The stream crossing on the outer loop is also around knee deep as well. I removed my shoes and carried the bike through it.

This is mountain biker's *beep* right now. Ride it if you are hardcore and the above sounds fun. If you aren't, then don't. There is still quite a bit of decent trail out there. Just be prepared for the suck.

My log, for the masochists: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93615159

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sleepy Hollow is the forgotten step-child of the mid-state chapter. The park is 100% supportive of the MMBA improving some of the trails out there but we've never been able to find somebody willing to take the park under his/her wing and coordinate the activity. The park is facing the same cutbacks and staffing issues like the other state parks so those fields don't get mowed as often as they could. The park is basically reclaimed fields that were converted from swamp land so it is always one of the last trails to dry out (yes, even later than burchfield). The trails are also threatened by potentially expanding horsey trails because they actually do work out there. The trail system may never be a destination trail, but it could serve the more family orientated, beginner, lets go camping and biking crowd or the I need to crank out 60 training miles in my zone 4 heart rate. It just needs someone to put some love into it.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby AllMountin' » June 20th, 2011, 9:23 am

I understand all that, but this *is* a trail conditions forum- and I think you'll find those conditions to be quite accurate.

Nobody updates this page regularly, so people like me end up going in blind. Now they'll have an idea of what to expect.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby dauber76 » June 20th, 2011, 10:23 am

AllMountin' wrote:I understand all that, but this *is* a trail conditions forum- and I think you'll find those conditions to be quite accurate.

Nobody updates this page regularly, so people like me end up going in blind. Now they'll have an idea of what to expect.

All I was doing was providing context to the current trail conditions, that way the people who read this thread will realize the trails aren't mowed and the north trails are under water. Maybe someone will read my response and get that guilty feeling that they should take a more active roll and improve the trails out there.
dauber76

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions