Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby kdb4141 » August 30th, 2005, 3:50 pm

I just spent 4 days at Sleepy Hollow and the trails were in great shape. The last time I rode it was June of last year and what a difference. There were no muddy spots, and the new signage is great. One small problem is where the horses have been riding on trails that are clearly marked closed to horses.
kdb4141

Postby snarpho » January 30th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Went out yesterday. Morning rain didn't help anything but most of the trail on the south side of the road was in pretty good shape. Some water but not a lot of mud. Steep climbs we're challenging due to the slick, wet hardpack. Saturday would have been a much better day.
snarpho

Postby jake » January 30th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Does anyone know who is maintaining sleepy hollow? There have been varying posts regarding the condition of the trail from being in really bad shape to being pretty good. If there is a crew taking care of it I would really like to know so that they can get some credit for it, plus we could probably arrange to have a trail day there and get some more mid-state help up there.
jake

Postby james leikert » January 30th, 2006, 9:53 pm

snarpho wrote:Went out yesterday. Morning rain didn't help anything but most of the trail on the south side of the road was in pretty good shape. Some water but not a lot of mud. Steep climbs we're challenging due to the slick, wet hardpack. Saturday would have been a much better day.

wow, did you go all the way around the red? i've been out there in the spring when i first took up mountain biking and wondered if everyone rode in the deep puddles and mud.

jake wrote:Does anyone know who is maintaining sleepy hollow? There have been varying posts regarding the condition of the trail from being in really bad shape to being pretty good. If there is a crew taking care of it I would really like to know so that they can get some credit for it, plus we could probably arrange to have a trail day there and get some more mid-state help up there.

i've taken my loppers out there from time to time, but nothing major. my understanding is the 'sleepy hollow trail riders association' (horses/hikers) and the boy scouts do a majority of the work. the trail is usually very wet, even into the early summer. this seems normal for that tract of land. i'm not from the area originally, but the locals here say that the whole county is pretty much built up on a swamp. late summer and fall are the best times to ride, otherwise- avoid unless you like to slop around in the muck or you're training to race in west virginia. :)

give me a shout if you want to do some trailwork, i would be glad to help out.

jim
james leikert

Sleepy Hallow Conditions

Postby parmerma » April 18th, 2006, 3:43 pm

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!! Trail is mostly mud or under standing water. Probably won't be clear for a long time.
parmerma

Postby DCC » May 10th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Little bit of mud but ridable.
DCC

Postby james leikert » May 30th, 2006, 8:53 am

avoid, still pretty muddy with standing water in quite a few spots.

probably another 2-4 weeks depending on weather.
james leikert

Sleepy

Postby Darkside » June 7th, 2006, 10:54 am

This trail is usually dried out & overgrown by July. Fast though, as long as you stay off the horse trails. :wink:
Now, you've got a corpse in a car, minus a head, in a garage. Take me to it.
-The Wolf
Darkside

Postby kateroo15 » June 12th, 2006, 9:35 pm

There's only one challenging thing about Sleepy Hollow. The tall grass cause there isn't much in the way of hills.
kateroo15

Postby Krol_Franklin_E » July 30th, 2006, 10:54 am

Rode July 29th, trail was freshly trimmed. Fast and wide open. Couple spots they didn't mow but the weeds wern't too high. Overall very nice. This cleanup was done after the storms that went through mid week. There were no trees blocking trail.
Krol_Franklin_E

Postby Scot » September 22nd, 2006, 3:43 pm

Rode it Sept 22 and I had more fun than expected on that kind of trail. It appears that even when Michigan is dry this park is still soggy. Its wide, nothing like the detroit area single track trails. This is a trail of long gradual grades not the constant up and down most of us are used to. I would say it's about a 50% mowed paths through fields/short tree brush areas and 50% older forests. The whole trail is wide and not very traveled, nothing technical and only a few hills worth mentioning. In some places the field areas don't have a worn path, just a 10' wide path of mowed filed grass.

The thing I liked best was you never had a real chance to coast. even on the downhills the ground is so soft/bumpy/grassy you really can't stop if you want to keep up a decent speed. There is 1 cool feature that I can only describe as a huge pit. It drops about 30 feet down into a hole at I would guess at 50 degrees and then straight back up the other side at the same grade to end up at pretty much the same level. I stuck around this spot for a while and screwed off like a 10 year old.

Not a bad morning but I did need to stop by Brighton RA on my way home for something more challanging.
Scot

Postby Di_bear » April 30th, 2007, 8:10 pm

AVOID!

Three words: Lakes. Mud. Slop.

You know, this could be a really cool system (10-11 miles for US!!!) if someone could get out there and *help* the land a bit.

I did a lot of walking because most of it was mud. Not sloppy ride-through-the-puddle mud, but thick, disappearing tires mud. I believe it was right after I reached point #4, where it intersects with a horse trail, that the trail completely disappeared into a LAKE! Yeah...not walking through or around that.

Someone was riding a horse on that horribly unstable trail. I wasn't too happy about that, especially considering the horse trail I took to the staging area (I hopped off the mountain bike trail at the point near the staging area to quit my ride since I couldn't proceed through a lake), was in perfect condition.

Unfortunately, Sleepy Hollow usually has sloppy spots.

Sloppy Hollow.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby troparra » June 13th, 2007, 10:00 am

I rode Sleepy Hollow this morning, and it's pretty dried out. There are still some wet spots, but you can ride through them.
The trail system is still about 50% mowed grass. The grass in some areas is not mowed, and is REALLY long, almost to my shoulders in some parts(in particular south of Price Road). That was fairly unpleasant.

It seems like where the sun hits, there's grass. In the forest, no grass. Overall the trail is pretty flat and wide. Not challenging, except for the long grassy areas. Some parts of the trail are nice, other parts are grassy/bumpy/slow.

I'd recommend checking yourself for ticks after riding here. I did see several deer in the grassy areas, and deer are a host animal for ticks.
troparra

Watch Out

Postby D-Ryd » June 14th, 2007, 3:48 pm

Be careful between mile marker 10 & 11 I believe. There are some awesome geniuses who thought the best way to deal with metal fenceposts in the trail was to cut them off about five inches above the ground. It ripp my tire in half and could be a horrible danger if you crashed and landed on it. If I ever feel eager enough to lose a couple pints of blood to mosquitos I will take a hammer and pound them all the way into the ground. The area is not to far past where to cross the night entreance for landing boats on the west side of the lake...
"1st... 1st doesn't mean anything. Let me know when you've managed an endo on every trail in lower Michigan. That's a badge of honor!"
D-Ryd

Postby james leikert » June 14th, 2007, 5:33 pm

yep, sleepy is wfo! some spots are still a bit moist, but the red loop is entirely passable.

i did the red loop yesterday but don't remember seeing any metal posts sticking out of the ground. are they north or south of the night entrance road? guess i'll have to pay more attention next time...

here's my (unsolicited) advice about sleepy hollow... ymmv.

- don't like tall grass - switch to road biking
- bumpy trail - shift to a harder gear
- slow - shift to a harder gear

sorry, feeling a bit sarcastic today... :)

here's a gps track of the red loop: http://discovermachine.com/maps/349

jim
james leikert

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions