Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 7th, 2012, 9:45 am

OK we're gonna hit the easy button on this one... For the glass hill- we're putting cloth landscape fabric down to cover the glass, then layering it with dirt and gravel. I can take care of that with Bob. We'll let you guys know when its done. Give us a week or so.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 12th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Bob and I got two tractor buckets of stone down on the glass hill, followed with about 8 buckets of dirt/gravel before the trail got real soft. With some work on Friday the glass hill should be good to go for a while.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 12th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Anytime before 11AM or so the trail is nice and hard, then it gets a little soft and greasy. Should be pretty good right towards evening as well.

That glass hill will be a little soft for a day or two till it gets ridden on some.

We didn't come across anyone on the trail Wednesday from 9-12 am, and up till 1 when I was looking for my phone...found it too.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby G.Cook » December 13th, 2012, 12:43 am

OK we're gonna hit the easy button on this one... For the glass hill- we're putting cloth landscape fabric down to cover the glass, then layering it with dirt and gravel. I can take care of that with Bob. We'll let you guys know when its done. Give us a week or so.

Hopefully that landscape fabric isn't the plastic variety used at the Poto. It sucks to ride on as evidenced by the rutted go around's at every one of those put on a Poto fall line to "fix" the problem.
Putting on a layer of rocks and dirt on a fall line will solve the problem until it erodes down hill. It's a fall line constructed section of trail tread. Doesn't matter how much traffic it will get, it WILL erode.
Hopefully you won't have to deal with again until this time next year. But in my opinion, band aids and quick fixes do not solve the situation in the long run. They just become on going maintenance issue's.
But it's your trail and good luck. :|
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » December 13th, 2012, 6:57 am

I'm sure they would welcome you come out and fix it "right". Step off the high horse.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » December 13th, 2012, 7:36 am

At the present time the head ranger will not allow a reroute for this hill , so we are doing the best we can to take care of a problem area and make it rideable for now . I am sorry that it is not up to standards but it is the best we can do for now and it is fabric not plastic . I am doing this work while not even being able to ride the trail and may never get to ride it again if the doctor has his way and it makes me wonder is it worth the time and effort .
Last edited by owosso bob on December 13th, 2012, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
owosso bob

Postby SteveF » December 13th, 2012, 7:52 am

Easy, folks. G.Cook has made huge contributions of time and effort to make Poto (among others) what it is. Ignore his hard-earned knowledge at your peril. On the other hand, Sleepy Holler don't see a fraction of the traffic that Poto does. I think this temp fix will be just fine for the foreseeable future. Bob, sorry to hear about your prognosis. Still hope that we can do the NW tour or something similar next summer, though!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby G.Cook » December 13th, 2012, 8:17 am

At the present time the head ranger will not allow a reroute for this hill , so we are doing the best we can to take care of a problem area and make it ride able for now . I am sorry that it is not up to standards but it is the best we can do for now and it is fabric not plastic . I am doing this work while not even being able to ride the trail and may never get to ride it again if the doctor has his way and comments like this make me wonder is it worth the time and effort .

Bob, if that is the case for you personally , then I would opt to go ride . Let wannabee and DNR Dave do the cosmetics. You are up for the job so Bob can go ride,right wannabee? And an FYI wannabee , I was asked by DNR Dave to give my input.I drove out from Pinckney , on my own time and dime , to act on that request. The plus side of that day was meeting up with Bob and getting a ride/tour of the trail for my effort. A good day all around.
If that is the best the lead ranger will allow then of course you do what you can to try and alleviate the problem .
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » December 13th, 2012, 10:10 am

ya acutally i am up for it and i'm pretty sure bob knows that. your original post came off as arrogance at it's finest. I've never met you so hopefully i'm way off base. These guys don't have to do anything to the trail, i'm happy for whatever improvements they choose to make.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 14th, 2012, 8:19 am

I've talked with Greg for quite a few years about trails now. I took no offense to anything he said. We went with the band aid against better judgement. Maybe it will take 10 years to get bad again who knows. But I walked my boss around the hill that Greg and Bob walked around and he said something to the effect of...if this hill doesn't work then we can look at doing the route Greg and Bob looked at. So keep riding and lets see what happens with it.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 14th, 2012, 8:31 am

Yeah it was landscape fabric, I remember you saying the geowebbing was way too slippery and I remember slipping just walking on it when I worked at Pinckney.

Ok next bad spot...South of Price rd by the parking lot just off the park entrance. This was the really long mud hole with no way around it. (actually two mud holes) I was thinking some more landscape fabric then some rock and then gravel to build up the middle. I figure the fabric will help keep everything from sinking in the mud.

Any thoughts?

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 27th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Saw two riders early Thursday morning at the boat launch that just got done riding the nice snow covered trails. Maybe 2 inches of snow out this way.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » January 11th, 2013, 10:26 am

Lots of rain Thursday night. Trails are muddy. I haven't had a chance to cruise around them after a couple windy days to look for any trees that may have fallen. Let me know if you guys see anything out there.

Thanks,
Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » January 28th, 2013, 8:12 am

Was out saturday and did the outer loop and explored most of the inner loops that i hadnt checked out before. Trail was excellent, lots of downed trees but you can ride over most of them. Came accross a bunch of little kids with a couple of adults hiking so I slowed to a walking pace to pass them one of the ladies is screaming faster, faster, faster like I was going for a world cup win or something :shock: . that was my laugh for the day. The gravel on the steep hill looks to be doing it's job just fine.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » January 28th, 2013, 1:57 pm

I got out Sunday and cleared all of those trees. I'm not sure if last nights heavy wet snow brought down any other branches. The two inches of snow we got is melting away quickly so the trails will be wet until we get the colder weather back.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments