Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby G.Cook » December 3rd, 2012, 4:54 pm

Dave, what did you guys end up doing with the "glass hill" problem area?
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » December 4th, 2012, 7:17 am

I was out saturday, other than the trail being real slick it was clear and good to go. I havent seen any glass resurface on that hill so you must of unearthed all of it. Either i was feeling tired or the frost is coming into the ground because the trail seemed even more bumpy than usual, beat the *beep* out of me on the rigid.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » December 4th, 2012, 7:46 am

G.Cook wrote:Dave, what did you guys end up doing with the "glass hill" problem area?

Nothing yet as I was unable to get out and do any work for a while and then hunting season kicked in . Going to meet with Dave thursday and go over some of the things he wants to get done now and next year . I think we are going to reroute how you said on the glass hill , but some of the guys that ride out there want to try and keep the hill because of the climb . If the weather and my heart holds up I am going to try and redo a couple of culverts and possibly reroute the hill if that is what Dave wants .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 5th, 2012, 8:41 am

Yep what Bob said. Theres no way to go around the hill just try to move around the glassy area. Bob and I could probably put some flagging down tomorrow to show where the trail might work better and be more sustainable and then the riders could comment on what they think. Theres really only one direction to go since the equestrian trail is on the other side.

I don't know if the entire hill side was used for dumping so even moving it might keep us on the dump, but hopefully if its more sustainable it won't erode down to the glass like the current hill.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby G.Cook » December 5th, 2012, 11:48 am

What I saw was taking it to the right at the bottom of the eroded climb , making a climbing turn at a good point and , boom, your on top. Looked like you had enough real estate . Might involve a little bench cutting in some spots. Then just check damming the old route to prevent any further erosion/glass situation.
what about beautiful undeveloped wooded area ? I'm thinking you guys might have some great opportunities for some side slope climbs on those ridge lines in that area. It would be a bit heart breaking if the equestrians gained access to that part of the park.
G.Cook

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 5th, 2012, 1:26 pm

South of Price rd? I wouldn't hold your breath on it, but it is on my radar. No I don't see any equestrian trails ever crossing Price Rd just for the safety factor of horses with riders and motor vehicles driving 50-60 miles an hour. I know your saying well is it safe for hiker and bikers to cross the road? I'm just looking at the fact that the horses can be unpredictable.

I know there are some spots where bikers get onto the horse trail and horses get onto the bike trail. I'm just not sure exactly which spots cause the most trouble if they do in fact cause any trouble at all. I was thinking of maybe saying hey we will give up this portion/many miles of trail to the equestrians for the opportunity to build more bike/hike trail in another area such as you mentioned.

Food for thought, but like I said don't hold your breath. For now I'm looking at trying to fix a few more areas on the current trails and seeing how they look in the spring time. I hope they are improved from almost a year ago.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » December 5th, 2012, 3:50 pm

I have been out there every weekend at least one day, mostly both days, most of the summer and fall and have only had a couple of encounters with the horses and both have been a hello and i'm on my way. I dont think there is any conflict at all the horses, but they may have a different viewpoint. I think were only talking about 100 ft of trail or so that is shared on that outer loop arent we? Would be nice to have some more trails in the more hilly south side, if we had to give up trail i'd suggest giving up some of the inner loops. On the improvement of the trail, this trail is vastly better than it was a few years ago, we can thank you, your crew and owosso bob for that.
wannabee

Postby G.Cook » December 5th, 2012, 6:42 pm

South of Price rd? I wouldn't hold your breath on it, but it is on my radar. No I don't see any equestrian trails ever crossing Price Rd just for the safety factor of horses with riders and motor vehicles driving 50-60 miles an hour. I know your saying well is it safe for hiker and bikers to cross the road? I'm just looking at the fact that the horses can be unpredictable.

I know there are some spots where bikers get onto the horse trail and horses get onto the bike trail. I'm just not sure exactly which spots cause the most trouble if they do in fact cause any trouble at all. I was thinking of maybe saying hey we will give up this portion/many miles of trail to the equestrians for the opportunity to build more bike/hike trail in another area such as you mentioned.

Food for thought, but like I said don't hold your breath. For now I'm looking at trying to fix a few more areas on the current trails and seeing how they look in the spring time. I hope they are improved from almost a year ago.

I was thinking of the heavily wooded area N. of the lake , w. of Shepardsville Rd. and s. of Taft. Bob pointed that out to me and from my bike it looked like some great ground to build trail. If you could put another 5-10 miles of trail in , especially in the above area , it would make the park/trail more attractive to a wider segment of the mtn.bike community. You might even garner more volunteer trail maintenance in the process. Right now, it just seems like a lost opportunity for Sleepy Hollow and the area mtn.bike community.
But , back to my "iron in the fire" for the proposed Waterloo-Pinckney mtn.-bike trail . :wink: :D
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » December 6th, 2012, 7:10 am

I pretty sure anything west of shepardsville rd is private property except a small chunk south of price road where there is a small pond. Correct me if i'm wrong dnr dave?
wannabee

Postby G.Cook » December 6th, 2012, 9:29 am

oops.....make that EAST of Sheperdsville Rd.
G.Cook

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 6th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Correct...south of Price rd and west of Shepardsville we own about 66 acres with that pond.

No room north of Price rd around the main part of Lake Ovid. South of Price rd, north of Jason Rd would be about the only place for more trails.

Bob and I went out today and then I took my boss out. My boss said for the glass hill lets check dam it and fill it in with dirt, gravel. Hopefully that will stop the erosion down the hill and leave the glass buried. I've never installed check dams so I would need your guys' expertise out there for that project.

Will check dams even work???

Biggest thing would be getting enough fill there to cover the glass well enough that is doesnt surface again.

Give me your input. Do this now or spring?
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby G.Cook » December 6th, 2012, 5:23 pm

The erosion of that fall line slope is causing the glass to surface and go with the erosive material downhill. If you put in a large enough check dam would help to mitigate the glass problem. Keep in mind putting in the check dam also means that the fall line would need to be rerouted. Not doing otherwise renders your check dam solution useless and your back with the erosion and glass. Find some clean fill from another part of the park. I assume you have use of the gator etc. for the job of back filling that check dam ? You could possibly require 2-3 more up the fall line.
As long is the ground is still workable you will be able to put in the check dam. Find a suitable , large piece of dead fall, 10-12 ft. , in that area if possible. A crew of 4-5 guys would be nice.
Will this work? I think it should . Any other ideas?
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » December 7th, 2012, 7:48 am

If you do it on the weekend i can come out and help out. Like i had said earlier, i havent seen any more glass surface on that small section of hill, it may not be necessary to do anything there. The erosion doesnt look to be that bad. i guess with more traffic it could get bad in the future. How about one of those plastic mats like they used to use a poto? that may do the trick for that short section.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » December 7th, 2012, 8:00 am

It looks like we can bring dirt and fill in the downhill once a year and hopefully keep the things buried . If we do that it would be just a matter of getting the dirt back there and raking out over the landscape matting to try and keep the glass from coming up . I am all for trying it for a year and see what happens . And you are right wannabee the traffic does not warrant it right now .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 7th, 2012, 9:09 am

Bob, we also got the go ahead for the north loop through the pines to adjust that through the trees to avoid the wet area and move the trail further away from the horse trail. Tim said he would like to help with that when we do it.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments