Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » October 5th, 2012, 6:46 am

Irish57 wrote:Sounds like folks have been doing a great job fixing up this trail!! I'm from the west michigan area and looking for new places to ride. How long are the trails here? Something my wife would like to try too. Thanks. :D

If you park in the east picnic area and follow the trail counterclockwise and back it is about 11.7 miles . The trails are not directional right now so keep your head up as this trail is really riding fast ,especially the two long downhill sections . The gully on the on the south side of Price road is fun but keep your eyes open and do not hit it too fast . There is a little of everything and I am sure your wife would enjoy it . So you can do a lap both ways for a very good workout . We are really trying hard to make this a viable trail for everyone to ENJOY .
owosso bob

Postby G.Cook » October 5th, 2012, 7:15 am

That forested ridge line area you pointed out to me Bob would make Sleepy Hollow one very desirable destination trail. It would be a tragedy if the equestrians got that area. I would love to come up and dig some new trail in that section. It's all a matter of motivating the Lansing area mountain bike community to get pro active in advocating for Sleepy Hollow trail development. It would be far and away better then what the they have now for trail systems. I think you mentioned an additional 10mi. added to the 11.5 you have now by going through that forested ridge line area.
Last edited by G.Cook on October 5th, 2012, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G.Cook

Postby wannabee » October 5th, 2012, 8:41 am

G.Cook wrote:That forested ridge line area you pointed out to me Bob would make Sleepy Hollow one very desirable destination trail. It would be a tragedy if the equestrians got that area. I would love to come up and dig some new trail in that section. It's all a matter of motivating the Lansing area mountain bike community to get pro active in advocating for Sleepy Hollow trail development. It would be far and away better then what the they have now for trail systems. I think you much an additional 10mi. added to the 11.5 you have now.

I'm in, let me know what i can do to help.
wannabee

Postby RAC » October 7th, 2012, 1:32 pm

I just got done riding Sleepy Hollow State Park so I thought I would give a short ride report.

Right now is a great time to hit the trails as there are dry conditions and lots of fall color foliage.
It is really a nice trail that can be ridden many different ways.

If you want a nice relaxing fall ride, you can do that. Rolling terrain and back woods, along with meadow crossings
makes for a very pleasant ride.

Want to make it a bit more challenging? Up your pace and you have some moderate climbs and a good 11 mile course
to get your heart rate up. South of Price road has the best hills and views, with many areas reminding me of the Vasa trails
and other "Up North" areas.

Want to get a few practice rides prior to Iceman or other fall rides?
Do the course twice. Once counter clockwise, once clock wise, then throw in 10 miles of fast gravel road riding.
You then have about 32 miles of training all in one place.
You won't have the big climbs that other trails have, but the varied terrain and lack of crowds makes it a great place to ride.

Here is a link to the trails as I did one circuit around the park.
Link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230684059

Overall it is a good place to get a good ride in without having to drive too far from the Lansing area.

Special thanks to the Sleepy Hollow Park Ranger for his efforts at improving the trails,
and to Owosso Bob for his volunteer work.
RAC

Postby wannabee » October 8th, 2012, 6:10 am

Was out sat and sunday rode clockwise for the 1st time, hard to believe how different it can be going the opposite direction. I prefer the counterclockwise. Trail is in great shape right now, best time of the year to ride, beats the heck out of the 90 degree days out there this summer.
wannabee

Postby wannabee » October 22nd, 2012, 6:10 am

Trees down in several places, on the south side of price road just east of the gully, a small one north of 13, one right at 10 and one just about to the old boat access road off shepardsville rd. trail is leaf covered and slippery, need to put some more agressive tread on for this time of year, went down twice on Saturday covered in mud and the leaves make it real hard to the see the all the roots right now. Good times..
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » October 22nd, 2012, 7:01 pm

Dave I hope to be back out there next week and will try and get them taken care of . Do they need a chainsaw ?
owosso bob

Postby wannabee » October 23rd, 2012, 6:00 am

the one by the gulley and the two out by marker 10 do, they are pretty big trees. the one north of 13 is small, i tried to break it and move it but no go. thanks Bob.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » October 23rd, 2012, 2:28 pm

We got the tree east of the gully, the tree by the old boat access road and maybe another small one over there.

I saw the one hanging by 10 but couldn't get that. Its not really in the way as of right now. I would need the tractor or a pole saw to remove that branch.

I didnt see one by 13.

Dave

I did see my co-worker slide down a hill in the mud. :oops:
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » October 24th, 2012, 6:06 am

the one right a ten is a sizeable tree and down completely across the trail, its maybe 100 feet back if you went clockwise direction. i didnt see one hanging. Thanks for clearing out what you did. maybe someone beat you to the other tree. I 'll be back saturday and report back. I did a couple of mud slides last time i was out :lol:. thanks again, i appreciate it.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » October 24th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Oh we came from the old boat launch and stopped at the #10 intersection. We're working on roofing the office today and tomorrow at least. Won't have much time to get out. Thanks.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » November 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

well, now i know why you didnt see the down tree, its at marker 9 not 10. It's about 8" dia, snapped about 3 ft above the ground and laying across the trail. Sorry about that. tried to move it but couldnt break it loose from the trunk. Trail sure was nice yesterday.
wannabee

Postby AllMountin' » November 11th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Trail was in great shape today. The leaves are cleared off the exposed areas, but fairly prominent in the woods. No problems locating the trail though, and leaves aren't really an issue on this type of trail anyway. The field sections where the grass was treated are very easy to follow now.

The downed tree at marker 9 is still there, but can be rolled over on the left of the trail. This trail marker is right next to a fork that goes out to a gravel road. Should be easy to get to. It would only require a hand saw.

Good stuff.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » November 13th, 2012, 1:23 pm

I'm back! I cleared the tree by 9 this morning.

Remember this Thursday firearm deer season begins (November 15-30) and hunting is allowed at Sleepy Hollow. Might want to take a few days off riding or ride a trail that doesnt allow hunting in that area.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 3rd, 2012, 4:25 pm

I cleared a few small trees by the equestrian staging area the other day. I didn't make it around the entire trail. It was pretty quiet out there.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments