Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » September 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Greg , good meeting you also and thank you for all the feedback today . I will get on some of your suggestions as soon as I can get with DNR Dave . It was funny hearing you on that whoop de doo in the south section . Wish I was a little younger so I could see my dream come true for all of that possible single track on the south side of Price road . But for the time being I wish we could get more people out and ride this trail as it is not what they remember from a few years ago . It is a very good trail to train for Iceman on because you can just let it fly for 11.5 miles a lap .
owosso bob

Postby wannabee » September 14th, 2012, 10:38 am

That gully could catch you by suprise alright, you wouldnt want to hit that with to much speed cause you would'nt land till you hit the bottom. The snow fence is a good warning that something is coming up. If you need/want help with anything out there Bob count me in. I dont know about the beginer/learning trail comment, between the ruts and whoops some of it can be brutal. Finally starting to get my speed back after a way too long hiatus and having a blast doing it.
wannabee

Postby wannabee » September 25th, 2012, 8:33 am

Is this trail supposed to be one way?, i have been riding it counterclockwise and have seen riders going the other way lately. Looks to be a few more people have been out lately. Trail is in great shape.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » September 25th, 2012, 10:06 am

Dave I think the reason is most people follow the numbered posts so they ride counterclockwise . At the present time it is not one way .There seems to be more long climbs clockwise , plus the steep climb at the north end going that way . Going to ride later today or in the late morning on Wed . . Has the grass started to die yet on the north sections ?
owosso bob

Postby wannabee » September 25th, 2012, 11:12 am

only spot i see that is grass covered still is by the dam, not sure you'll ever get that to go away short of scraping/grading in the trail. I think i'll give it a go clockwise next time. the grass hill coming up out of the dam area should be a killer.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » September 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Rode today and the grass is really starting die off in the norhtwest section that we sprayed a couple of weeks ago even around the dam . The trail is really starting get a groove in it and it is getting faster and faster . Had to slow myself down a little in some sections as at the present time have to be careful about going down . Think we are finally seeing the fruits of all the work that DNR Dave has led out there this year . PLEASE come out and enjoy the trail .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » September 27th, 2012, 7:23 pm

I had some Michigan State University students come out tonight. Just past marker 4 going toward 5 we put in a little detour to avoid the sharp right hand turn (originally to avoid that huge puddle). Still need to cut some small saplings out of the way in the morning. If you ride it let me know if it flows better.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » September 28th, 2012, 8:04 am

I'll be out saturday and sunday, thanks for all the hard work Dave and Bob.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » September 28th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Cleared a few of the small trees on the small reroute past marker 4. I didnt duff any of the trail around it so you don't have any roadblocks.

The guys are putting up some new signage past marker 5 where the trail is shared with the horses. Let me know if that clears up any confusion there.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby RAC » October 7th, 2012, 1:32 pm

I just got done riding Sleepy Hollow State Park so I thought I would give a short ride report.

Right now is a great time to hit the trails as there are dry conditions and lots of fall color foliage.
It is really a nice trail that can be ridden many different ways.

If you want a nice relaxing fall ride, you can do that. Rolling terrain and back woods, along with meadow crossings
makes for a very pleasant ride.

Want to make it a bit more challenging? Up your pace and you have some moderate climbs and a good 11 mile course
to get your heart rate up. South of Price road has the best hills and views, with many areas reminding me of the Vasa trails
and other "Up North" areas.

Want to get a few practice rides prior to Iceman or other fall rides?
Do the course twice. Once counter clockwise, once clock wise, then throw in 10 miles of fast gravel road riding.
You then have about 32 miles of training all in one place.
You won't have the big climbs that other trails have, but the varied terrain and lack of crowds makes it a great place to ride.

Here is a link to the trails as I did one circuit around the park.
Link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230684059

Overall it is a good place to get a good ride in without having to drive too far from the Lansing area.

Special thanks to the Sleepy Hollow Park Ranger for his efforts at improving the trails,
and to Owosso Bob for his volunteer work.
RAC

Postby wannabee » December 4th, 2012, 7:17 am

I was out saturday, other than the trail being real slick it was clear and good to go. I havent seen any glass resurface on that hill so you must of unearthed all of it. Either i was feeling tired or the frost is coming into the ground because the trail seemed even more bumpy than usual, beat the *beep* out of me on the rigid.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » December 4th, 2012, 7:46 am

G.Cook wrote:Dave, what did you guys end up doing with the "glass hill" problem area?

Nothing yet as I was unable to get out and do any work for a while and then hunting season kicked in . Going to meet with Dave thursday and go over some of the things he wants to get done now and next year . I think we are going to reroute how you said on the glass hill , but some of the guys that ride out there want to try and keep the hill because of the climb . If the weather and my heart holds up I am going to try and redo a couple of culverts and possibly reroute the hill if that is what Dave wants .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 6th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Correct...south of Price rd and west of Shepardsville we own about 66 acres with that pond.

No room north of Price rd around the main part of Lake Ovid. South of Price rd, north of Jason Rd would be about the only place for more trails.

Bob and I went out today and then I took my boss out. My boss said for the glass hill lets check dam it and fill it in with dirt, gravel. Hopefully that will stop the erosion down the hill and leave the glass buried. I've never installed check dams so I would need your guys' expertise out there for that project.

Will check dams even work???

Biggest thing would be getting enough fill there to cover the glass well enough that is doesnt surface again.

Give me your input. Do this now or spring?
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 12th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Bob and I got two tractor buckets of stone down on the glass hill, followed with about 8 buckets of dirt/gravel before the trail got real soft. With some work on Friday the glass hill should be good to go for a while.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » December 12th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Anytime before 11AM or so the trail is nice and hard, then it gets a little soft and greasy. Should be pretty good right towards evening as well.

That glass hill will be a little soft for a day or two till it gets ridden on some.

We didn't come across anyone on the trail Wednesday from 9-12 am, and up till 1 when I was looking for my phone...found it too.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions