Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » September 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Greg , good meeting you also and thank you for all the feedback today . I will get on some of your suggestions as soon as I can get with DNR Dave . It was funny hearing you on that whoop de doo in the south section . Wish I was a little younger so I could see my dream come true for all of that possible single track on the south side of Price road . But for the time being I wish we could get more people out and ride this trail as it is not what they remember from a few years ago . It is a very good trail to train for Iceman on because you can just let it fly for 11.5 miles a lap .
owosso bob

Postby wannabee » September 14th, 2012, 10:38 am

That gully could catch you by suprise alright, you wouldnt want to hit that with to much speed cause you would'nt land till you hit the bottom. The snow fence is a good warning that something is coming up. If you need/want help with anything out there Bob count me in. I dont know about the beginer/learning trail comment, between the ruts and whoops some of it can be brutal. Finally starting to get my speed back after a way too long hiatus and having a blast doing it.
wannabee

Postby wannabee » September 25th, 2012, 8:33 am

Is this trail supposed to be one way?, i have been riding it counterclockwise and have seen riders going the other way lately. Looks to be a few more people have been out lately. Trail is in great shape.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » September 25th, 2012, 10:06 am

Dave I think the reason is most people follow the numbered posts so they ride counterclockwise . At the present time it is not one way .There seems to be more long climbs clockwise , plus the steep climb at the north end going that way . Going to ride later today or in the late morning on Wed . . Has the grass started to die yet on the north sections ?
owosso bob

Postby wannabee » September 25th, 2012, 11:12 am

only spot i see that is grass covered still is by the dam, not sure you'll ever get that to go away short of scraping/grading in the trail. I think i'll give it a go clockwise next time. the grass hill coming up out of the dam area should be a killer.
wannabee

Postby owosso bob » September 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Rode today and the grass is really starting die off in the norhtwest section that we sprayed a couple of weeks ago even around the dam . The trail is really starting get a groove in it and it is getting faster and faster . Had to slow myself down a little in some sections as at the present time have to be careful about going down . Think we are finally seeing the fruits of all the work that DNR Dave has led out there this year . PLEASE come out and enjoy the trail .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » September 27th, 2012, 7:23 pm

I had some Michigan State University students come out tonight. Just past marker 4 going toward 5 we put in a little detour to avoid the sharp right hand turn (originally to avoid that huge puddle). Still need to cut some small saplings out of the way in the morning. If you ride it let me know if it flows better.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » September 28th, 2012, 8:04 am

I'll be out saturday and sunday, thanks for all the hard work Dave and Bob.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » September 28th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Cleared a few of the small trees on the small reroute past marker 4. I didnt duff any of the trail around it so you don't have any roadblocks.

The guys are putting up some new signage past marker 5 where the trail is shared with the horses. Let me know if that clears up any confusion there.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » September 29th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Dave the reroute worked okay but I think we need to take it even farther in the woods to the west to make sure we are out of the water line . We walked the glass hill again today and the three of us agreed that what you and I talked about is really going to be a good reroute and make that area a more sustainable route . The trail is really rolling now .
owosso bob

Postby wannabee » October 1st, 2012, 6:49 am

trail was great, even near the dam is starting to get worn in and grass in dead. Saw 6 riders going clockwise on saturday, most i have ever seen out there.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » October 3rd, 2012, 8:00 am

Hmm okay. Working on Harvest Fest stuff this weekend and another Harvest Fest next weekend. Should slow down after that. See what we can do.

Thanks for the info.

It is small game season-rabbit, squirrel, etc. And it is archery deer season. Probably best to ride midday- avoid dawn and dusk. And maybe wear some bright colors since hunting is allowed in the park.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby reidabel » October 3rd, 2012, 8:54 am

Don't let your kids wear the antler hats ...
reidabel

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » October 3rd, 2012, 3:26 pm

Exactly. :D
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby Irish57 » October 5th, 2012, 3:18 am

Sounds like folks have been doing a great job fixing up this trail!! I'm from the west michigan area and looking for new places to ride. How long are the trails here? Something my wife would like to try too. Thanks. :D
Irish57

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments