Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby Todd Scott » March 29th, 2004, 11:16 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Sleepy Hollow State Park
Todd Scott

Postby james leikert » April 2nd, 2004, 3:17 pm

can you say mud and ankle-ish deep standing water? i knew you could.

don't even bother going out to sleepy until june 1, at the earliest.

jim
james leikert

Postby yz_387 » May 11th, 2004, 11:41 am

As of 5/10: standing water on the trail.
yz_387

Postby yz_387 » June 23rd, 2004, 3:25 pm

Still pretty wet, and where it is not wet, it is horribly overgrown. I would suggest avoiding at this time.
yz_387

Sleepy Hollow

Postby kdb4141 » June 28th, 2004, 5:58 pm

I tried to ride the 10 mile loop over the weekend and found it terribly overgrown. The mud wasn't too bad but some of the signs are very confusing. Between post 5 and 7 i believe, the trail is completely under water, looks almost like the work of beavers.
kdb4141

Postby james leikert » August 6th, 2004, 9:27 am

sleepy is open!

rode out last night and was able to make it all the way around the red loop w/o incident.

there are still muddy spots (two - each ~10 yards in length) on the north end near the swamp and some greasy areas on the red loop between the pavillion entrance and the green loop.

~80% of the trail is clear of high grass.

jim
james leikert

Sleepy Hollow

Postby ransrider » September 12th, 2004, 3:57 pm

Rode Sleepy Hollow today and it is in the best shape it has ever been in, who ever did all the work out there thank you. Owosso Bob
ransrider

sleepy hollow

Postby ransrider » October 3rd, 2004, 4:28 pm

I found out today part of the reason the trail is in such good shape is that they have been using G.M. jobs bank people to help out. There is a couple of small reroutes, the one coming across Price road takes you up the service road and then back into the woods. This eliminates going through the ditch. One other one is on the red trail in the mucky area to by pass it . The ranger said he would look into rerouting this area up the hill farther. Owosso Bob
ransrider

woo hoo ridin season is back

Postby big_perm » June 13th, 2005, 9:34 pm

as of 6/01/05 its in great shape needs more riders ran in to a few soupy spots but other then that it was great :D ride on !!! 8)
big_perm

Postby Eric_O » August 23rd, 2005, 2:42 pm

Camped there last week, the trail is in pretty good shape, it just depends on how much you like pedaling through long grass in a few spots.
Eric_O

Postby kdb4141 » August 30th, 2005, 3:50 pm

I just spent 4 days at Sleepy Hollow and the trails were in great shape. The last time I rode it was June of last year and what a difference. There were no muddy spots, and the new signage is great. One small problem is where the horses have been riding on trails that are clearly marked closed to horses.
kdb4141

Postby snarpho » January 30th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Went out yesterday. Morning rain didn't help anything but most of the trail on the south side of the road was in pretty good shape. Some water but not a lot of mud. Steep climbs we're challenging due to the slick, wet hardpack. Saturday would have been a much better day.
snarpho

Postby jake » January 30th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Does anyone know who is maintaining sleepy hollow? There have been varying posts regarding the condition of the trail from being in really bad shape to being pretty good. If there is a crew taking care of it I would really like to know so that they can get some credit for it, plus we could probably arrange to have a trail day there and get some more mid-state help up there.
jake

Postby james leikert » January 30th, 2006, 9:53 pm

snarpho wrote:Went out yesterday. Morning rain didn't help anything but most of the trail on the south side of the road was in pretty good shape. Some water but not a lot of mud. Steep climbs we're challenging due to the slick, wet hardpack. Saturday would have been a much better day.

wow, did you go all the way around the red? i've been out there in the spring when i first took up mountain biking and wondered if everyone rode in the deep puddles and mud.

jake wrote:Does anyone know who is maintaining sleepy hollow? There have been varying posts regarding the condition of the trail from being in really bad shape to being pretty good. If there is a crew taking care of it I would really like to know so that they can get some credit for it, plus we could probably arrange to have a trail day there and get some more mid-state help up there.

i've taken my loppers out there from time to time, but nothing major. my understanding is the 'sleepy hollow trail riders association' (horses/hikers) and the boy scouts do a majority of the work. the trail is usually very wet, even into the early summer. this seems normal for that tract of land. i'm not from the area originally, but the locals here say that the whole county is pretty much built up on a swamp. late summer and fall are the best times to ride, otherwise- avoid unless you like to slop around in the muck or you're training to race in west virginia. :)

give me a shout if you want to do some trailwork, i would be glad to help out.

jim
james leikert

Sleepy Hallow Conditions

Postby parmerma » April 18th, 2006, 3:43 pm

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!! Trail is mostly mud or under standing water. Probably won't be clear for a long time.
parmerma

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments