Northern: Rifle River

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Northern: Rifle River

Postby Todd Scott » March 29th, 2004, 10:03 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Rifle River
Todd Scott

May 8th '04 Rifle River

Postby Maelstrom » May 8th, 2004, 9:13 pm

I rode on the Rifle River trail today - took my dogs bikejoring up there. The trail is leaf covered in most spots, but pretty dry. It IS wet in low spots - especially if you go down the right hand fork off the first Y you come to after the parking lot by the beach.

At the bottom of the hill the trail is underwater with some logs in the water across the trail. I wasn't sure what to do about it, but I would recommend going on the left hand part of the fork and catching the road back to the trail crossing. There were a number of limbs and branches across the trail - we removed a lot of the ones we came across. I didn't come across any trees down in the sections we rode. We stuck pretty close to the main parking lot and the trails near there, so I don't know about the trails farther on.

Mike
Maelstrom

Postby KonaDub » June 13th, 2004, 1:16 pm

I rode Rifle River State Park on Saturday June 12 and rode all the MTB trails they had to offer. Overall the trails were in great shape and it was a great ride with great scenery! There are a number of "boggy" wet spots but with the trail so close to pond/swampland in spots, this is to be expected. All in all the trail is very ridable, and a great ride!
JHOVA
Kona Kula '03
Felt F65 '05
KonaDub

Volunteers working to monitor Rifle River

Postby Dan_Harrison » June 28th, 2004, 7:21 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 28 JUN 04

Volunteers working to monitor Rifle River

State conservation officers today announced a program aimed to help curb recreational abuses along the Rifle River in Arenac County.

Department of Natural Resources conservation officers, along with the Arenac County Sheriff’s Department and the Michigan Department of State Police, are recruiting sportspersons and local residents for the DNR’s Citizens Assisting in Resources Enforcement program, where volunteers assist officers in monitoring and reporting illegal activity.

“Volunteers provide a good, visible presence along the river, and help reduce illegal activities like littering, trespassing, operating boats while intoxicated, and dealing with other safety issues,” said Sgt. Ron Kimmerly. “By serving as additional eyes and ears along the Rifle River, C.A.R.E. partners help ensure that this beautiful river can be enjoyed by all and left in good condition.”

Kimmerly noted the volunteer program will be accompanied by increased local, state and DNR law enforcement presence during the peak canoe season on the river.

C.A.R.E program volunteers must attend a July 6 training session, starting at 7 p.m. at the Sterling Sportsman's Club, where officers will provide instruction on what volunteers should do when they observe violations. The meeting also will be a time for volunteers to sign-up for shift dates and times.

The Sterling Sportsman's Club is located at 339 S. Melita Road, in Sterling. For additional information, contact DNR’s Bay City Operations Service Center (989) 684-9141.
Dan_Harrison

Nice write-up on MLive

Postby Dan_Harrison » August 30th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Dan_Harrison

Postby hippymtnbkr » June 23rd, 2005, 2:50 pm

Rode this trail on Wednsday. Thought it was great. Never hear much about it. One of the cleanest state parks I have ever been to. The beach was great,the water was clear. The toilets in the out houses shined. I'm gonna go back there and camp later this year :D
hippymtnbkr

Postby Tony_Misovski » July 11th, 2005, 8:51 pm

Rode the trail today (7/11) and it's in great shape..no mud or overgrowth. I actually ran into a couple of the park workers walking the trail with lopers cutting everything back.
Tony_Misovski

Rifle

Postby hubedogg » July 13th, 2005, 12:55 pm

I rode the trail last weekend. It was great! Provides a little bit of everything from dense forest, bridges, open fields, ridges and climbs.
hubedogg

Rifle River Trail

Postby Sixty-Six » June 13th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Trail was in great shape and cleared. Only issue was that most of the North 'hard' part is shared with winter-skiers, so the paths were wide and the only 'hard' part was the hills, which did have some steep climbs and did their job of pulling air out of my lungs though. It's a nice ride through several terrain types, but the best single track/little hill mix is from 12 to 11 to 10, with a couple nice grunts up through to 9. 1-4 to 6 has some nice and tight spots also, and some spots don't feel too wide. Most of the South is leisurely by comparison, but gets your legs going for a good casual ride.

It's a nice mix for those looking for a quick ride or to try and bring a new or less-experienced rider out. The park itself is great for camping, and is a nice little Rec Area. Nice observation tower view also.

I will go to it again.
Sixty-Six

Postby canuckted1 » July 16th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Rode entire trail yesterday. Trail is in great shape. A little bit overgrown in spots but aside from that it was great.
canuckted1

Postby broke » July 17th, 2007, 8:42 pm

A couple weeks back, I took a holiday vacation up north and hit up the Rifle River trails. For the most part, it looks great. I was looking for signs of heavy holiday use; trash and whatnot, and never found a scrap.

The "lost lake" trail...is a mean thing to do. Nothing like dead-ending into forest and having to turn back.

All in all I got 17 some odd miles out of a single ride. It was great. I'll be making that journey again the next time I go up.
Gary Fisher HiFi Plus
Gary Fisher Mullet SS
...debt guaranteed by the Department of Redundancy Department.
broke

Nice ride!

Postby j35u5fr34k » July 16th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Rode on 7/05/2008 and everything looked great! I loved nodes 1-8 and the rest was a nice scenic ride.
j35u5fr34k

Hidden Gem

Postby canuckted1 » July 28th, 2008, 11:31 am

Rode entire trail Saturday morning. Trail is in good shape. Does anyone recommend other trails in this area?
canuckted1

Re: Hidden Gem

Postby i69whitey » July 28th, 2008, 11:58 am

canuckted1 wrote:Rode entire trail Saturday morning. Trail is in good shape. Does anyone recommend other trails in this area?
i haven't found anything that isn't all sand up near there,
hope someone posts something for ya
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby Russ Skinner » July 28th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Ogemaw Hills Pathway is right down the road. Definitely worth riding while you're there.
Russ Skinner

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments