Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » July 15th, 2015, 6:57 pm

fivespotter wrote:Rode Luton today; trail in fairly good shape. Just a few muddy spots. There is a tree down on Black just before the Blue intersection, needs a chainsaw blocking the trail completely. Another tree down on Red before it runs back to Blue. This one can be ridden around as just the top is on the trail itself.

Thanks for the tree info. I'll get it tomorrow.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby cramer » July 28th, 2015, 9:03 am

Avoid on Monday nights. Trail is essentially unrideable due to kids bike team. 70 kids plus rude parents going a little slower than walking pace and spread out on nearly every loop there with zero trail etiquette being taught. They really should just close the trail down for these events because that group is not compatible with other trail users.
User avatar
cramer
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: February 19th, 2003, 4:53 pm
Location: Cannonsburg

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » July 28th, 2015, 9:11 am

cramer wrote:Avoid on Monday nights. Trail is essentially unrideable due to kids bike team. 70 kids plus rude parents going a little slower than walking pace and spread out on nearly every loop there with zero trail etiquette being taught. They really should just close the trail down for these events because that group is not compatible with other trail users.



Wow, as the TC, I find this disappointing. Every trail, really? I thought they stuck to Blue and Green. I know a part of their training involves respect, trail etiquette, etc. I'll investigate.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby Slimm » July 28th, 2015, 9:24 am

second what cramer said. you beat me to it.

I observed many very young children last night stopped on blind sections of Luton where they did not belong. What are the parents/event leaders thinking putting those kids in that kind of potentially dangerous situation. And dont start in with the 'you need to keep your bike under control' crap.

I thought I saw where there was a strider loop constructed for small children to ride on?

Sharing the trail is one thing, adults being that irresponsible with that many very young children on an incredibly busy trail is plain stupid.

I agree with cramer, if this event is allowed to contine, the trail should be closed to folks not participating in it.
Last edited by Slimm on July 28th, 2015, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
User avatar
Slimm
 
Posts: 340
Joined: April 5th, 2009, 5:22 pm
Location: on my way to the pub (GR area)

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby Slimm » July 28th, 2015, 9:30 am

RickPlite wrote:
cramer wrote:Avoid on Monday nights. Trail is essentially unrideable due to kids bike team. 70 kids plus rude parents going a little slower than walking pace and spread out on nearly every loop there with zero trail etiquette being taught. They really should just close the trail down for these events because that group is not compatible with other trail users.



Wow, as the TC, I find this disappointing. Every trail, really? I thought they stuck to Blue and Green. I know a part of their training involves respect, trail etiquette, etc. I'll investigate.


yes, every trail, except I didnt see any on yellow.

I think if they would indeed stay on blue and green, and somehow let other users know they were there it would probably work out ok. In my observation, they should not have them on the other loops.

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
User avatar
Slimm
 
Posts: 340
Joined: April 5th, 2009, 5:22 pm
Location: on my way to the pub (GR area)

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby cramer » July 28th, 2015, 9:44 am

My issues were that with three different parents I said hello in a friendly way and tried to talk to them about passing and they just completely ignored me, no response at all. I guess that's not trail etiquette so much as just etiquette. Another time I asked about passing a group of 8 very small kids on the blue trail just after the start of the black loop. She said I could pass at the next bridge so I followed the group for what seemed like about 10 minutes before we could pass. The jogger behind me got frustrated and went another direction so it wasn't just bikes. Several times I came across people just parked in the middle of the trail chatting. I think that was one of the first lessons I taught my kids, when you're not riding, move off to the side of the trail so people can pass.
User avatar
cramer
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: February 19th, 2003, 4:53 pm
Location: Cannonsburg

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » July 28th, 2015, 10:01 am

What they are doing is very cool, getting youth into the sport and off the sofa is awesome. I know they put up a sign letting the public know they are out there and they also mention their events in advance on the Luton and West Mich Trail Conditions Facebook pages. I'd just recommend choosing another trail on Monday nights. They will be done the end of August I believe.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby cramer » July 28th, 2015, 10:17 am

RickPlite wrote:What they are doing is very cool, getting youth into the sport and off the sofa is awesome. I know they put up a sign letting the public know they are out there and they also mention their events in advance on the Luton and West Mich Trail Conditions Facebook pages. I'd just recommend choosing another trail on Monday nights. They will be done the end of August I believe.


I agree. When I first saw them out there I got excited for the sport in general in our area. Have never seen so many kids getting into mountain biking at such a young age and I think it's awesome what they are doing. I really loved that they started out building trail too! That's why it was so painful last night, to be treated that way by so many of them to the point where it started to make me bitter. Honestly, it was so bad I started to think it must be coordinated- like they're telling the parents to ignore anyone that tries to talk to you.

I will certainly avoid riding there on Mondays until they're done and thanks for the info on when the program ends this summer. It is a bummer though, if you ride on Monday nights it's basically like you just lost access to one of the best trails in town.
User avatar
cramer
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: February 19th, 2003, 4:53 pm
Location: Cannonsburg

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Reformed Roadie, reidabel and 2 guests