Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » April 28th, 2012, 9:36 pm

raymears wrote:I've been looking for a trail day I can make, but it's not easy with soccer-aged kids and church.


great! See you tomorrow
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby Wired29 » May 3rd, 2012, 3:37 pm

There's a tree limb down in the middle of the black loop. It's still attached to the tree. I tried to jar it lose but it won the battle. I think a saw is needed.

Also beware of turtles!!! I came across four box turtles on various loops.
User avatar
Wired29
 
Posts: 22
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 9:01 pm
Location: Cedar Springs, MI

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » May 3rd, 2012, 4:46 pm

Wired29 wrote:There's a tree limb down in the middle of the black loop. It's still attached to the tree. I tried to jar it lose but it won the battle. I think a saw is needed.

Also beware of turtles!!! I came across four box turtles on various loops.


I will try to get it cut out tomorrow. Are the trash bags full of plants still on the Black Loop too?
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 3rd, 2012, 5:28 pm

Wired29 wrote:Also beware of turtles!!! I came across four box turtles on various loops.


I saw 2 there one day. It's kinda unnerving riding around watching out for turtles.
User avatar
LuckyCharm4x4
 
Posts: 620
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Hudsonville

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » May 4th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Can anyone help by us by removing the bags of garlic mustard? Walk in and enter the Black Loop backwards off of the pines, about 200 yards in is four bags that need to be taken to the parking lot. Use caution to not tear the bags, might be best to even re-bag them if you bring a few for reinforcements. Thanks!

the downed trees have been removed
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby Slimm » May 10th, 2012, 9:10 am

half a dozen small puddles last night, prolly be gone by today. Be nice if vandals would stop removing trees on the black loop, but other than that the trail is excellent right now

i didnt see any bags of weeds on the black loop, so that stuff must have gotten hauled out

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
User avatar
Slimm
 
Posts: 342
Joined: April 5th, 2009, 5:22 pm
Location: on my way to the pub (GR area)

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby GRSparty » May 10th, 2012, 11:07 am

I saw the bags on the black loop last night, they are still there.
GRSparty
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 4th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby cramer » May 10th, 2012, 12:53 pm

RickPlite wrote:Can anyone help by us by removing the bags of garlic mustard? Walk in and enter the Black Loop backwards off of the pines, about 200 yards in is four bags that need to be taken to the parking lot. Use caution to not tear the bags, might be best to even re-bag them if you bring a few for reinforcements. Thanks!

the downed trees have been removed


I hauled them out this afternoon. One bag was kind of torn, like an animal got after it or something. I stacked them near the porta-jon.

Ran into an acquaintance that lives near by as he was walking his bike out due to a flat tire. He said he used to hike the property but when he saw the mountain bike trails get built he decided to go buy a bike. He said he loves it and has lost 40 pounds so far!
User avatar
cramer
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: February 19th, 2003, 4:53 pm
Location: Cannonsburg

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » May 10th, 2012, 2:43 pm

cramer wrote:
RickPlite wrote:Can anyone help by us by removing the bags of garlic mustard? Walk in and enter the Black Loop backwards off of the pines, about 200 yards in is four bags that need to be taken to the parking lot. Use caution to not tear the bags, might be best to even re-bag them if you bring a few for reinforcements. Thanks!

the downed trees have been removed


I hauled them out this afternoon. One bag was kind of torn, like an animal got after it or something. I stacked them near the porta-jon.

Ran into an acquaintance that lives near by as he was walking his bike out due to a flat tire. He said he used to hike the property but when he saw the mountain bike trails get built he decided to go buy a bike. He said he loves it and has lost 40 pounds so far!


wow, thanks Cramer! Great story on the neighbor too
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby Slimm » May 23rd, 2012, 10:38 am

trail looked to be in great shape last night. at least all 200 yds of it I rode.

many thanks to my fellow mtb'er who stopped and offered up a powerlink and tools to try and fix my busted chain. good karma man....

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
User avatar
Slimm
 
Posts: 342
Joined: April 5th, 2009, 5:22 pm
Location: on my way to the pub (GR area)

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby AllMountin' » May 28th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Trail was clear and fast today, if not a bit dry and dusty. First time for me riding it as a standalone, and I really appreciated the flow of the trail.

Unfortunately, it was too darned hot. Please install an AC unit ASAP. Thank you.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
User avatar
AllMountin'
 
Posts: 2238
Joined: November 26th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby mnelson » May 28th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Trail is super fast and fun as always. I agree with AllMountin', it was too hot.

Met some new riders out trying out the trail today. A family of 4 with two young boys.(8 & 10 years old). It was their first ride on an off road/mountain bike trail. Bike the width of the boy's smiles, they had a blast even if it was hot. I love see that hug smile from a first time rider!
User avatar
mnelson
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 2nd, 2009, 1:56 pm

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » May 31st, 2012, 7:08 pm

I left my post hole digger in the parking lot Wednesday night 5/30/12. It wasn't there today. Did anyone pick it up?
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby Bigtymer » June 3rd, 2012, 7:38 am

Any of you guy's going to make it out to CO this summer? I live in Fruita, if anyone wants someone to show them the local trails, while on vacation, I would be more than happy to :D
Bigtymer
User avatar
Bigtymer
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 6th, 2008, 8:57 am
Location: Carbondale, CO

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby bkerkstra » June 5th, 2012, 10:21 am

My Brother in-law lost his VDO x3dw computer at Lutton on Sunday 6/3/2012. Probably on the Black Trail, but possibly on the orange trail. If anyone finds it, please call 616-752-Zero Zero 93 for Larry. Happy to give a 6-pack as a reward. - Thanks!
bkerkstra
 
Posts: 1
Joined: June 5th, 2012, 10:09 am

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests