Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » April 14th, 2012, 7:00 pm

the Putti wrote:Rode this morning, and the conditions are perfect! I'd still be out there if my legs cooperated!

Yes the weather was nice. It doesnt look like a lot of this trail is going to survive this season. :( It appears the newbs and rec riders are tearing this trail apart very quickly, many parts are very rutted out from them having to lock up brakes to slow suddenly and eating away half the trail in spots due to them taking the wrong lines. While some like the extra challenge it makes it very dangerous for most, I see people wreck out there all the time in the same areas, and will require lots of rerouting which will end up making the trail easier. I have no problem with rec riders but they are tearing this trail up causing people to put in unauthorized bypasses all over. Is there any way to teach these people the basics of XC singletrack mountain biking? Maybe some pamphlets at the trailhead.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby yamaha13 » April 14th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Those reroutes you may be referring to were put in by the trail coordinator. Those ruts have been there since the thaw and are actually much better. Trail seems to be in great shape and if you would like get involved or help with trail projects look for up coming trail days on MMBA
yamaha13

Postby Slimm » April 15th, 2012, 10:52 am

i think the ruts G.R. is speaking of are the areas where brake bumping is occuring and they don't have anything to do with the ground thawing. he is indeed corrrect that there are a number of places that are going to have to fixed prolly sooner rather than later. There are also a few outsloped curves that are erroding away and some of those areas are going to have to be addressed this season too.

I'm pretty sure the TC is aware of these trouble spots

i don't think the fixes will make the trail easier though, at least not if i'm involved in it

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » April 15th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Slimm wrote:i think the ruts G.R. is speaking of are the areas where brake bumping is occuring and they don't have anything to do with the ground thawing. he is indeed corrrect that there are a number of places that are going to have to fixed prolly sooner rather than later. There are also a few outsloped curves that are erroding away and some of those areas are going to have to be addressed this season too.

i don't think the fixes will make the trail easier though, at least not if i'm involved in it

-s

Yes, thank you. And I agree rerouting will not necessarily make the trail easier, and I hope then you are involved.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » April 15th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Slimm wrote:i think the ruts G.R. is speaking of are the areas where brake bumping is occuring and they don't have anything to do with the ground thawing. he is indeed corrrect that there are a number of places that are going to have to fixed prolly sooner rather than later. There are also a few outsloped curves that are erroding away and some of those areas are going to have to be addressed this season too.

-s

If people are skidding into it, the re-route better be armored with some rocks or something, otherwise the newbs will just tear it up the same as the old route.
cramer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » April 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm

cramer wrote:

-s

If people are skidding into it, the re-route better be armored with some rocks or something, otherwise the newbs will just tear it up the same as the old route.

Agreed. With the amount of traffic luton now gets I dont think theres anything that can really be done, because eventually most of the trail will look like that. To bad we couldnt add a few huge climbs the number of people would quickly drop. :twisted:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Slimm » April 19th, 2012, 7:16 pm

cramer wrote:

-s

where the brake bumps are, i was thinking more along the lines of routing the trail upslope before putting the curve so the terrain naturally causes you to scrub speed.

the way those areas are now the trail causes you to gain speed before the curve, thus the skidding and subsequent brake bumps

and to stay on topic, the trail was in excellent shape tonight. it is handling the rain very well, no wet spots at all

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby cramer » April 19th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Slimm wrote:
cramer wrote:

-s

where the brake bumps are, i was thinking more along the lines of routing the trail upslope before putting the curve so the terrain naturally causes you to scrub speed.

the way those areas are now the trail causes you to gain speed before the curve, thus the skidding and subsequent brake bumps

and to stay on topic, the trail was in excellent shape tonight. it is handling the rain very well, no wet spots at all

-s

Sounds dumbed down to me.
cramer

Postby RickPlite » April 23rd, 2012, 2:40 pm

Please join us for the spring trail day at Luton Park on April 29th from 9am-12. Lunch provided to all after the trail work. Bring a large plastic bag or two, branch pruners, loppers, gloves, water, boots and bug spray. We will trim the trails back, open drain nicks and remove garlic mustard plants.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby the Putti » April 24th, 2012, 9:08 am

Was there somewhere that this was posted? I really need to participate in a trail day, but I am doing a 5K that morning. Will there be another day sometime this summer?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
2015 Cannondale Synapse
the Putti

Postby RickPlite » April 24th, 2012, 10:27 am

the Putti wrote:Was there somewhere that this was posted? I really need to participate in a trail day, but I am doing a 5K that morning. Will there be another day sometime this summer?

there is a sign at the kiosk and we have it posted on the http://www.WMMBA.org website, Facebook and here. Not sure if we will have another one at Luton this summer, join us at Merrell Trails instead, there is a lot to do there as well and many, many trail days to come.
RickPlite

Western: Luton Park

Postby raymears » April 28th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Can anyone predict whether Luton will be okay to ride on by 2 PM tomorrow after the rain we had today?
raymears

Postby cramer » April 28th, 2012, 5:00 pm

raymears wrote:Can anyone predict whether Luton will be okay to ride on by 2 PM tomorrow after the rain we had today?

It didn't really rain today, just a couple of SUPER light sprinkles, not even enough to soak the ground... and some snow this morning. Trail is fine.
cramer

Postby RickPlite » April 28th, 2012, 6:36 pm

raymears wrote:Can anyone predict whether Luton will be okay to ride on by 2 PM tomorrow after the rain we had today?

Come on out at 9am tomorrow and lend a hand with trail day til noon and then get your ride in. The trail is dry and good to go.
RickPlite

Postby raymears » April 28th, 2012, 9:20 pm

I've been looking for a trail day I can make, but it's not easy with soccer-aged kids and church.
raymears

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions